Why the Hate for One-Way Backs?

Author (Read 1428 times)

Why the Hate for One-Way Backs?
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:06:47 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Over the past few weeks, I have seen a trend in which everyone and their mother bashes one-way backs. I used to feel the same way, until I realized my hatred was pointless.

For the magicians, I understand why you don't like them, and I see how it can throw the spectator off.

I'm wondering about the other side of the spectrum..... the collectors. Why do you bash one-way backs? It's not like you are performing magic with them, so why does it matter if the backs are one-way or not. The only feasible reason I can see is that it would get annoying while shuffling, but other then that the reasons I see; are none.

I'd love to hear from all you collectors (non-performers) on why you feel this way.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

Re: Why the Hate for One-Way Backs?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:11:28 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I prefer  2 way backs. It's just a preference and I like the way 2 way looks as opposed to a one way back.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I prefer  2 way backs. It's just a preference and I like the way 2 way looks as opposed to a one way back.

haha that was almost a rewording of what he said. It doesn't explain why you like the 2 way backs in any detail at all...  ::)

I, as a collector, am not strongly against either back design. I think that the 1 way backs can looks a little disorganized or messy when shuffled (as you mentioned loldudex2). However there are some fantastic 1 way back decks such as the magic con v2. Since I often use my decks for card games I tend to play with 2 way backs since it looks neater and you don't have the problem with 1 way backs being upside down and what not.

So in the end I don't hate 1 way backs and I have many in my collection but it is a less practical deck when being used in magic or at a card table.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
For me, there is no explanation... it's just a preference!

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
A one-way back design is fine for solitaire, but for other games, a wily dealer can invert only certain cards.  Same for magic.  Any time I play poker, players reject any decks with a blatantly one-way design.

I'm not entirely opposed to a one-way back - if it's a SUBTLE one-way back employing a hidden mark, which looks like it's two-way to a spectator!  I love those.  (Just don't let the poker players spot the mark!)

One-way backs are, simply put, just not as practical.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 08:45:54 PM »

lordlupus

• Forum Regular
As a collector, I have no preference for one or two way backs, as long as the design looks good. I am not a magician or cardist so I just appreciate the visual beauty of the card backs in my collection.

When playing poker, I will use regular Aladdin or Bicycle decks since any other decks will be viewed suspiciously by the other players. With money involved, you do not want to be accused as a cheater.

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 05:25:47 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Hmm interesting topic, I'm no collector but I guess it's just personal preference. I don't really like 1 ways backs when I'm flourishing, it just doesn't look that nice. A knacky thing, I know, but it's personal preference. If the 1 way back is subtle, I'm happy with it. As brown_baggs said, the magic con v2 deck is a very nice 1 way back. I also believe the guardians are 1 way.  :)
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 06:02:59 AM »

Noobmachine

As a collector, 1 way backs aren't the most appealing, but half the time that doesn't even matter since most collectors I know don't even open the deck anyways.... Personally I wouldn't use 1 way back decks for anything, unless its a subtle 1 way back.
Empty lousy signature is lousy and empty :(

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 01:19:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hmm interesting topic, I'm no collector but I guess it's just personal preference. I don't really like 1 ways backs when I'm flourishing, it just doesn't look that nice. A knacky thing, I know, but it's personal preference. If the 1 way back is subtle, I'm happy with it. As brown_baggs said, the magic con v2 deck is a very nice 1 way back. I also believe the guardians are 1 way.  :)

The Guardians are a great example of a rather subtle one-way back.  The normal spectator will see they're two-way and vaguely resemble the Rider Back in the layout, then not give it a second thought.  There are markings all around the edge, but they're done in a dark-grey-on-black color scheme.

Somewhere around here we have an old topic on hidden one-way backs that deserves to come out of retirement...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 08:27:21 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
A deck of cards is for the following:

Magic, cardistry, card games, card throwing.

One way backs are useless for magic and card games.

I collect "card game" decks. In other words, poker sized decks of playing cards that are made to be usable for poker and the like.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 08:40:47 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
To reitterate what others have said, I don't HATE them. I'm just not a huge fan of them because they are a bit annoying for poker, card games etc., and I'm a bit of a maniac for some things, so I just always have to put them every card is facing the same way. However, I agree with Don, and subtle one ways don't bother me at all!