Pharaoh Playing Cards by USPCC (KS)

Author (Read 1839 times)

Pharaoh Playing Cards by USPCC (KS)
« on: August 20, 2013, 11:28:55 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2104052526/pharaoh-playing-cards-by-uspcc?ref=users

Project by CollectablePlayingCards.com
 2 created, $6,000 goal, 1 deck $10, 1 Limited Gold Foil Deck $12

I may be mistaken, but I thought this deck had been tried on KS before. I couldn't find it. This is the same company that produced the Emotions deck that had failed on KS.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Pharaoh Playing Cards by USPCC (KS)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 11:59:24 PM »

Candace B

• DeviantArt:
I thought the emotions deck was done by Xtu Productions (the guy who is doing the Creepy deck right now). This deck is from the guys that did the Hunted deck that was successfully funded. But you're right about the pharaoh deck being done before. I think it was in black and white last time though I don't remember who did that one either. I think I like this one better though. The tuck box and back are nice and I like having them in color. I'm not too impressed with the courts or the aces though. :/ The arts seems kind of lacking by comparison.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:05:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2104052526/pharaoh-playing-cards-by-uspcc?ref=users

I may be mistaken, but I thought this deck had been tried on KS before. I couldn't find it. This is the same company that produced the Emotions deck that had failed on KS.

There's been a few Egyptian-themed decks, most of which were utter failures but owing more to the designer than the theme.

These guys did Emotions?  I recall that guy mentioned that he found a company that would make it for him - is this that company?  Because CollectablePlayingCards.com doesn't list the Bicycle Emotions deck on its list of projects.

I thought the emotions deck was done by Xtu Productions (the guy who is doing the Creepy deck right now). This deck is from the guys that did the Hunted deck that was successfully funded. But you're right about the pharaoh deck being done before. I think it was in black and white last time though I don't remember who did that one either. I think I like this one better though. The tuck box and back are nice and I like having them in color. I'm not too impressed with the courts or the aces though. :/ The arts seems kind of lacking by comparison.

That sounds more correct.  Except that it was Bicycle Haunted, rather than Bicycle Hunted..  :))

The art is a bit lackluster on this.  At least he made some effort at making proper two-headed courts - it's a shame they're ALL in profile, making the entire court "one-eyed".
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:19:18 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

These guys did Emotions?  I recall that guy mentioned that he found a company that would make it for him - is this that company?  Because CollectablePlayingCards.com doesn't list the Bicycle Emotions deck on its list of projects.

I thought the emotions deck was done by Xtu Productions

Xtu originally tried Emotions on KS twice, and cancelled twice. As Don pointed out Xtu came on the forum saying they had some one to produce the cards, but would not say who.
It took me a while to find on there site, but yes, they are the ones that are producing the Emotions deck.
http://collectableplayingcards.com/bicycle-emotions-playing-cards-limited-edition-gold-seal-p-41313.html
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:25:59 AM »

Candace B

• DeviantArt:
That sounds more correct.  Except that it was Bicycle Haunted, rather than Bicycle Hunted..  :))

The art is a bit lackluster on this.  At least he made some effort at making proper two-headed courts - it's a shame they're ALL in profile, making the entire court "one-eyed".

Yeah, THAT'S the one. ;] ...silly keyboard...

I'm also not a really liking all the profiles, but I can imagine why they did it. I'm guessing they were wanting to make it all look like hieroglyphs (which works well with the color choices) and that's actually a pretty cool idea. :] They have a colored glow around each of the images that I'm guessing is to suggest they where each carved into the sand colored wall. I think some groves and shadows should have been a more effective choice for that, but really, it's a pretty cool idea. i think a few edits to clean up around the edges to make it look more like a real carving could make the profiles more forgivable. :]

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 12:32:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm also not a really liking all the profiles, but I can imagine why they did it. I'm guessing they were wanting to make it all look like hieroglyphs (which works well with the color choices) and that's actually a pretty cool idea. :] They have a colored glow around each of the images that I'm guessing is to suggest they where each carved into the sand colored wall. I think some groves and shadows should have been a more effective choice for that, but really, it's a pretty cool idea. i think a few edits to clean up around the edges to make it look more like a real carving could make the profiles more forgivable. :]

If you want to make something look like it was painted on the pyramid wall, then don't do it by half-measures.  Really DRAW the WALL, with the cracks and the border lines and the other background features.  That would look epic, and no one would care about everything being in profile.  But this is more like "it's good enuf fo' gub'mint work..."  This design is to great design what DMV visits are to great ways to spend a day off.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 12:46:57 AM »

Candace B

• DeviantArt:
If you want to make something look like it was painted on the pyramid wall, then don't do it by half-measures.  Really DRAW the WALL, with the cracks and the border lines and the other background features.  That would look epic, and no one would care about everything being in profile.  But this is more like "it's good enuf fo' gub'mint work..."  This design is to great design what DMV visits are to great ways to spend a day off.

Agreed. It's amazing what small details like that can do for art. Even if the actual faces and bodies where left exactly as they are(not sayin' they should.. but they could), if all the stuff around them looked real, the whole thing would look legit. :3

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Agreed. It's amazing what small details like that can do for art. Even if the actual faces and bodies where left exactly as they are(not sayin' they should.. but they could),

Just say it, the coloring on the images are poor.  Strangely the sketch work is very nice and I get the desire for authenticity in color, contrast and line to actual ancient paintings... but honestly, I can pick up a book and see those.  And honestly, I think the Egyptian theme is played out and poorly timed with the current crisis in that country.  But speaking as a collector of art decks, there is nothing about this deck that makes me want it.  I don't like the theme, but that doesn't normally stop me from buying.  I don't understand what the card back has to do with ancient Egyptians, the courts need help... what I do like is the Ace of Spades!  That was nicely done!  And the indices and jokers are cool.  But I'm looking for one perfect Ancient Egyptian themed deck and this isn't it.  At the turn of the previous century there was a huge Egyptian movement evident in Mosoleums of the period.  Some extremely impressive artwork themed on the Egyptian gods and characters with a little Art Deco mixed in.  Mayhaps that could make the meme more acceptable.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 08:01:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Agreed. It's amazing what small details like that can do for art. Even if the actual faces and bodies where left exactly as they are(not sayin' they should.. but they could),

Just say it, the coloring on the images are poor.  Strangely the sketch work is very nice and I get the desire for authenticity in color, contrast and line to actual ancient paintings... but honestly, I can pick up a book and see those.  And honestly, I think the Egyptian theme is played out and poorly timed with the current crisis in that country.  But speaking as a collector of art decks, there is nothing about this deck that makes me want it.  I don't like the theme, but that doesn't normally stop me from buying.  I don't understand what the card back has to do with ancient Egyptians, the courts need help... what I do like is the Ace of Spades!  That was nicely done!  And the indices and jokers are cool.  But I'm looking for one perfect Ancient Egyptian themed deck and this isn't it.  At the turn of the previous century there was a huge Egyptian movement evident in Mosoleums of the period.  Some extremely impressive artwork themed on the Egyptian gods and characters with a little Art Deco mixed in.  Mayhaps that could make the meme more acceptable.

I know that fad you're speaking about.  It started in Victorian England, as they had explorers doing a lot of work in that region of the world, among others.  It peaked around the time of the original tour of the treasures from King Tutankhamen's tomb in the 1920s, hence it's appearance in a lot of Art Deco design work.  It faded into the Great Depression, when people had more pressing matters to worry themselves over.  Many late-19th century mausoleums are decorated in that style, and many secret and semi-secret fraternal organizations borrowed from Egyptian legend and myth for their rites and rituals.

Finally, something about the Steampunk/Gearpunk/Dieselpunk genre that's underused!  :))

This deck has some serious potential - but it hasn't been realized.  It may never be realized - more opportunity for someone else.

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 09:52:19 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I am interested in the coins but not the deck. If anyone is pledging and willing to get to pledge with coins and sell them to me shoot me a pm. I really like the coins but the deck is eh for me. I have to many already IMO
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 05:12:45 PM »

Maskedfreakinabox

• True Member

• Kickstarter:

Okay, as much as I like the Idea of an Egyptian deck, this just doesn't cut it. I like the papyrus background, that's a nice touch. The back is also very nicely done in my opinion, but that's just about where my fondness for this deck ends. The courts are off-putting and while I like the idea of hieroglyphs being incorporated into the design, this is not the way to do it.

I know that fad you're speaking about.  It started in Victorian England, as they had explorers doing a lot of work in that region of the world, among others.  It peaked around the time of the original tour of the treasures from King Tutankhamen's tomb in the 1920s, hence it's appearance in a lot of Art Deco design work.  It faded into the Great Depression, when people had more pressing matters to worry themselves over.  Many late-19th century mausoleums are decorated in that style, and many secret and semi-secret fraternal organizations borrowed from Egyptian legend and myth for their rites and rituals.

Finally, something about the Steampunk/Gearpunk/Dieselpunk genre that's underused!  :))

This deck has some serious potential - but it hasn't been realized.  It may never be realized - more opportunity for someone else.

I want to design a good Egyptian deck now, but I'm busy with my current deck project. I agree that the theme has potential for an absolutely beautiful deck, but it seems that most of that potential has been overshadowed by tacky crap like this. Shame really. I think the key to doing decks revolving around the history and mythology of a culture is to be as authentic as possible, not only to the theme you are incorporating, but to the lineage of playing cards themselves.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:49:42 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 06:26:51 PM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Yes, it's a shame that nice themes are suffering by poor artwork.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 07:57:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Okay, as much as I like the Idea of an Egyptian deck, this just doesn't cut it. I like the papyrus background, that's a nice touch. The back is also very nicely done in my opinion, but that's just about where my fondness for this deck ends. The courts are off-putting and while I like the idea of hieroglyphs being incorporated into the design, this is not the way to do it.

----------

I want to design a good Egyptian deck now, but I'm busy with my current deck project. I agree that the theme has potential for an absolutely beautiful deck, but it seems that most of that potential has been overshadowed by tacky crap like this. Shame really. I think the key to doing decks revolving around the history and mythology of a culture is to be as authentic as possible, not only to the theme you are incorporating, but to the lineage of playing cards themselves.

First, notice that I combined your two posts.  When you have something new to add to the conversation and you've just posted minutes before with no one replying in-between, simply edit the old post and add the new information there, please.

About potential...  How many times have we seen great ideas (playing cards and otherwise) come to fruition that are just not quite there yet, like someone left out a step or two in the process?  There were countless opportunities here for a unique, innovative design, just passed over.

Personally, I think that one can capitalize on that.  As long as you catch the market before it's been overloaded with the chaff of other decks of the same theme (coughZOMBIEDECKScough), a properly-made deck can sweep the market and make everyone forget about the work that came before.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »

Maskedfreakinabox

• True Member

• Kickstarter:

----------

First, notice that I combined your two posts.  When you have something new to add to the conversation and you've just posted minutes before with no one replying in-between, simply edit the old post and add the new information there, please.

About potential...  How many times have we seen great ideas (playing cards and otherwise) come to fruition that are just not quite there yet, like someone left out a step or two in the process?  There were countless opportunities here for a unique, innovative design, just passed over.

Personally, I think that one can capitalize on that.  As long as you catch the market before it's been overloaded with the chaff of other decks of the same theme (coughZOMBIEDECKScough), a properly-made deck can sweep the market and make everyone forget about the work that came before.

Okay! Sorry! I'll keep the posting rule in mind for the future. My bad. Also, I agree. The steampunk and Cthulu decks got pretty overdone to. But I hardly even remember any of the cthulu decks other than Call of Cthulu because that was a phenomenal deck. I also agree that this deck isn't hopeless. It definitely has some substance to work with. I really like the papyrus background, I also dig the idea of incorporating hieroglyphs. I don't like the way they did it though, it just seems too...blatant. In my eyes the beauty lies in subtleties, there is a time to be bold, but not sure this is it. To his credit, the Egyptian theme is one that requires some working with to achieve success, but I think that much has become obvious. The zombie theme on the other hand...

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 01:18:32 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Those coins are real Egyptian currency. I wonder if they have been discontinued. Otherwise this is a currency transaction. I don't know about US but this is a subject for special licensing in many countries  ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:28:36 PM by Collector »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 01:35:27 AM »

Maskedfreakinabox

• True Member

• Kickstarter:

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 08:43:28 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
They said they had a limited amount of coins, so I figured they were custom made.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 08:42:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Those coins are real Egyptian currency. I wonder if they have been discontinued. Otherwise this is a currency transaction. I don't know about US but this is a subject for special licensing in many countries  ;)

I don't think it's a huge issue, in this case.  Only a small amount of the coins are being distributed, and they're not worth much.  There's 100 piastres to the pound in Egypt, and a pound is trading for US$0.14.  There is a numismatic trade in the US involving currency, but the quantities involved here would be too low in most cases to cause any legal hassle, except for the rare few countries remaining that don't trade their currency/don't let it out of the country.  Assuming those are the real currency and not copies, of course...