You are Here:
what im getting for DOTM

Author (Read 36884 times)

Re: what im getting for DOTM
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2013, 12:33:04 PM »

kings

• Newcomer
I can't remember exactly because I got the mystery decks in January too and like 5 of them were vintage plaid, but I think January was vintage plaid, February was an Aladdin, and this month was the Ultimate deck. Its not terrible. I actually think if I did the math right at the 6 month mark right now I am ahead a few bucks but that will probably change.

« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2013, 08:26:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I can't remember exactly because I got the mystery decks in January too and like 5 of them were vintage plaid, but I think January was vintage plaid, February was an Aladdin, and this month was the Ultimate deck. Its not terrible. I actually think if I did the math right at the 6 month mark right now I am ahead a few bucks but that will probably change.

You'll probably end up ahead.  The track record seems to be something like two unexciting decks to every one good one.  A lot of people felt that it was a little misleading in that they were led to believe they'd be getting new decks each month - Vintage Plain and Aladdin don't exactly qualify there.  But in the end, the total value of the decks exceeds what they paid.  It's only an issue if you're getting excessive duplicates of decks you already have enough of or just don't want.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #177 on: March 11, 2013, 01:12:59 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!

You'll probably end up ahead.  The track record seems to be something like two unexciting decks to every one good one.  A lot of people felt that it was a little misleading in that they were led to believe they'd be getting new decks each month - Vintage Plain and Aladdin don't exactly qualify there.  But in the end, the total value of the decks exceeds what they paid.  It's only an issue if you're getting excessive duplicates of decks you already have enough of or just don't want.

But now with their 2013 releases, Rey can throw in the NFB and Steamboats for two different months because they are technically "new" even though they're not worth a lot. With all things considered though, the membership for DotM includes shipping within US which is a plus seeing as the shipping from D&D is quite expensive.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #178 on: March 11, 2013, 02:41:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
But now with their 2013 releases, Rey can throw in the NFB and Steamboats for two different months because they are technically "new" even though they're not worth a lot. With all things considered though, the membership for DotM includes shipping within US which is a plus seeing as the shipping from D&D is quite expensive.

OK, but...who's Rey?

Boil it down to brass tacks and they can toss in whatever deck they feel like, based on what they've done before.  By and large, it's most likely to be a recent "vintage" deck taken from one of the off-the-beaten-path USPC brands, a D&D deck or a T11 deck.  Twelve eight-dollar decks would be slightly more than the cost of the membership.  They haven't gotten that lazy as a whole, and not every deck is even worth that average, but enough of their decks exceed the $8 mark to balance out the "clunkers".

« Reply #179 on: March 11, 2013, 03:03:35 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Which makes the membership worth it if you received some of their higher priced decks. I honestly was considering picking up the membership after hearing that the carbon deck was sent out earlier. Seeing the Ultimate deck being sent out made me regret not signing up. It's as you said, they haven't gotten lazy enough to toss in terrible decks lately.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2013, 03:26:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Which makes the membership worth it if you received some of their higher priced decks. I honestly was considering picking up the membership after hearing that the carbon deck was sent out earlier. Seeing the Ultimate deck being sent out made me regret not signing up. It's as you said, they haven't gotten lazy enough to toss in terrible decks lately.

...and even terrible decks get offset by "awesome" ones like Carbon and Ultimate.  I seem to recall one month they gave out Studs, if I'm not mistaken, and this was when they were still available at Walgreens stores.  Depending on your region of the country, that deck was probably a $2.00-3.50 deck!

I feel these two quotes sum up many people's opinions about the DotM Club overall:

There's been too many ho-hum months. I won't be renewing. I'm sure when the 12 months are done it won't be a loss as far as value is concerned, but I would like more zip in the selections.

Yeah I think it's a pretty good deal value-wise since they did throw in things like Tungstene from time to time. However, I agree, I think at one deck per month there needs to be more bang and less "oh I could just have bought these on eBay a month ago."
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:28:47 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #181 on: March 11, 2013, 04:02:12 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
I would say that quote resonates well with me as well. That's why I haven't purchased the club membership because I don't want to receive something I could've gotten for the same price on eBay. Their Mystery Deck results made me very weary of surprises.

« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2013, 05:34:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I would say that quote resonates well with me as well. That's why I haven't purchased the club membership because I don't want to receive something I could've gotten for the same price on eBay. Their Mystery Deck results made me very weary of surprises.

The Mystery Decks, while somewhat unpredictable, were at least a better bargain at, what was it - $5 a deck?  $6?  A dozen Mystery Decks were less costly than a dozen DotM decks and you at least had a small chance at something really special, like a Jerry's Nugget or one of a few other rarities.  There's zero chance of that with DotM, unless they change the rules on how they operate it.

« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2013, 05:59:37 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
The Ultimate Deck is one that I would like to have, I just don't want to shell out the money for it. Though I already missed it for the DoTM deal, its presence in the deal makes me really consider going DoTM.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2013, 09:20:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The Ultimate Deck is one that I would like to have, I just don't want to shell out the money for it. Though I already missed it for the DoTM deal, its presence in the deal makes me really consider going DoTM.

I'm still trying to figure out what people find so darn attractive about that deck.  Sure, the box is pretty, but some of the cards inside are coyote ugly.  And it's one of the least practical decks I've ever seen, nearly useless for magic or games.  The only thing I can think of that would make that deck any worse than it already is would be a coating of sand and finely ground glass, applied while wet...  Not pretty...  Nope...

If you see D&D come out with some kind of stellar and expensive deck in the near future, that would be the time to "pull the trigger" and get the membership.  You'd then be signed up in time to receive that deck should it be offered in the future.

« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

I'm still trying to figure out what people find so darn attractive about that deck.  Sure, the box is pretty, but some of the cards inside are coyote ugly.  And it's one of the least practical decks I've ever seen, nearly useless for magic or games.

Don, I'm usually on par with much of what you contribute to the forum but I think you've misinterpreted the reason this deck was produced.  I don't believe it was ever created for magicians or playing games, it was created as a nice way of showcasing the many art designs and branding behind the various products Stranger & Stranger has packaged and marketed. A "thank you" gift for clients and friends of S&S.

« Reply #186 on: March 11, 2013, 04:39:08 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

Does one nice deck make the DOTM club worth it, when just about everything else they give out appears to be overstock and common?

« Reply #187 on: March 11, 2013, 05:52:31 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

Does one nice deck make the DOTM club worth it, when just about everything else they give out appears to be overstock and common?

I'd have to say DOTM is worth it...no matter what cards arrive.  It's less than $8/month shipping included.  Custom decks these days are selling for between $5.95-$7.95 each.  Add shipping and you have a deck around $10 (on the lower end). 

I think looking at what they've already produced, you'll figure out some of the decks you can expect to receive in the future...not to mention any decks they have planned for this year.

« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2013, 09:16:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm still trying to figure out what people find so darn attractive about that deck.  Sure, the box is pretty, but some of the cards inside are coyote ugly.  And it's one of the least practical decks I've ever seen, nearly useless for magic or games.

Don, I'm usually on par with much of what you contribute to the forum but I think you've misinterpreted the reason this deck was produced.  I don't believe it was ever created for magicians or playing games, it was created as a nice way of showcasing the many art designs and branding behind the various products Stranger & Stranger has packaged and marketed. A "thank you" gift for clients and friends of S&S.

I understand that perfectly.  And if it remained just a gift for S&S clients, I would have no real opinion about it.  But it then became a product of Dan and Dave, on sale alongside all their other magic and cardistry products.  At that point, it was being marketed to magicians and other people who use cards and is subject to being judged by those criteria used by the customers they're being marketed to when comparing products to each other.

It would depend on how full your collection is.  If you didn't have the overstock/common cards to begin with or simply want more, it'd be a great value.  For people who already have those cards in adequate quantities, it's more like "meh".

Most of us, when we heard about the club when it was introduced, though, "Wow, a new deck each month," thinking that each deck would be a new product recently released.  When we saw that "new deck" simply meant "still shrink-wrapped", the "WOW!" factor became more of a "wow" factor.

« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Sure, the box is pretty, but some of the cards inside are coyote ugly.
But, see. Here's the thing: Art is a subjective matter.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2013, 02:56:40 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Sure, the box is pretty, but some of the cards inside are coyote ugly.
But, see. Here's the thing: Art is a subjective matter.

I would consider each card within the deck "art." With that said though, I only like a handful of cards in the Ultimate deck, only a handful. The idea in itself (a collaborative "art" deck) more attractive than the deck as a whole.

« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2013, 11:43:44 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I would consider each card within the deck "art." With that said though, I only like a handful of cards in the Ultimate deck, only a handful. The idea in itself (a collaborative "art" deck) more attractive than the deck as a whole.

...and that's typical of most collaborative art decks.  The phrase "Too many cooks spoil the broth" never seems to have taken hold there...

« Reply #192 on: March 17, 2013, 01:17:07 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

...and that's typical of most collaborative art decks.  The phrase "Too many cooks spoil the broth" never seems to have taken hold there...

Maybe they believed that the phrase doesn't apply in their case? Either way, would be nice to get this if I had DotM but I wouldn't get it for just this deck and don't feel I'm missing out.

« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2013, 03:16:11 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
Decided to spurge out and sign up today. Pretty excited to get my first deck! I don't even know what to expect, it seems as though all of the decks so far are currently sold or have been sold by dan and dave. What happens when they've used their current stock list? Hmmm..... I do like the mystery aspect! White monarchs would be awesome, but I think a little over optimistic on my part.
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2013, 07:16:52 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Decided to spurge out and sign up today. Pretty excited to get my first deck! I don't even know what to expect, it seems as though all of the decks so far are currently sold or have been sold by dan and dave. What happens when they've used their current stock list? Hmmm..... I do like the mystery aspect! White monarchs would be awesome, but I think a little over optimistic on my part.

Well, they just released a deck package of six decks, of which only one has been a DotM giveaway...

White Monarchs are very unlikely.  The only "non-D&D" decks they've given away have been less expensive, uncommon decks rather than genuinely rare ones.  And in those cases, they were decks he was selling on their site previously.  As they've never sold White Monarchs, it's unlikely they'll do so now.

« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2013, 06:35:10 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
Before I send a question to the dan and dave customer service department, has anybody else received their deck for April yet? I bought it around march 24th, and I was told it would be dispatched early in the month. I've not had a shipping confirmation, or a received package email (from my us mailing thing). Thanks guys!

PS. I'm looking forward to the surprise, so please refrain from posting what you've received (if you've received it) in a direct response post to this question. Thanks again!

Edit: I literally received an email whilst I was posting this message! I've been stopping myself from posting for the last few days, thinking this exact thing would happen! On another unrelated note, shipito gave me several options for shipping. The one was $81.30!!!! FOR ONE DECK!!! Think I'll go for the $3 option....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:54:22 PM by The Quadfather »
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #196 on: April 11, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Before I send a question to the dan and dave customer service department, has anybody else received their deck for April yet? I bought it around march 24th, and I was told it would be dispatched early in the month. I've not had a shipping confirmation, or a received package email (from my us mailing thing). Thanks guys!

PS. I'm looking forward to the surprise, so please refrain from posting what you've received (if you've received it) in a direct response post to this question. Thanks again!

Bro - if you don't want to know until it shows up, you're in the WRONG topic!  Just refrain from reading it until your deck arrives!

« Reply #197 on: April 11, 2013, 06:56:59 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member

Bro - if you don't want to know until it shows up, you're in the WRONG topic!  Just refrain from reading it until your deck arrives!

Thanks don, but I already edited my post. I didn't know whether to start a new topic about something that already exists, or post here. I guess I was always gonna be wrong either way!! All sorted now, so I'm not reading this one again till it arrives!

« Reply #198 on: April 11, 2013, 06:57:46 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
shipito gave me several options for shipping. The one was $81.30!!!!

I need my deck.
AND I NEED IT NOW
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2013, 08:43:30 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Old thread here but I couldn't find anywhere better to post the question, and it may be a dumb one.  I got my DOTMC deck today.  I received S&M V4.  I already had this deck which is fine but here is my concern.  The deck I already purchased from the D&D site ,individually, is cello wrapped with no seal.  The deck I received today has no cello and a whitish seal.  I assume they just broke down deluxe box sets and sent them out.

Can anyone in the DOTMC tell me if the got a different S&M version?

Is there any difference in the feel of my 2 V4's?  D&D site states that they reexamined everything for the box set including stock, artwork etc. 

Just curious as I don't open most of my decks.  Thanks Gang!