You are Here:
old shows - new movies

Author (Read 389 times)

old shows - new movies
« on: March 18, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
so has anyone else noticed that old shows are now becoming movies? The A-team, 21 jumpstreet and im sure there are others.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: old shows - new movies
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Tons of Tv shows to movies...

Miami Vice
Charlie's Angels
The Dukes Of Hazzard
The Flintstones
Get Smart
The Adams Family
The Beverly Hillbillies
Bewitched
The Brady Bunch
Fat Albert
Inspector Gadget
Mission Impossible
the Muppet Show
The Smurfs
Starsky and Hutch
S.W.A.T.
The Untouchables
X-files
South Park
Beavis and Butthead
The Simpsons
Sex and the City
He-man
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Transformers

Coming soon

Entourage

I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:04:28 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
lol some of those i did not know of but yea it seems like twice now i see a movie, hear about the old show and enjoy that more then the movie.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 01:24:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hollywood is scared of taking chances.  Pulling ideas from older, successful material seems like a safer bet, but it's never a guarantee of success - you'd think they'd know this by now, but nope, the lemmings are still running to the cliff.

One example of a popular TV show turned into a flop movie: Mod Squad.  I'm sure it didn't help that the show hasn't been regularly aired in most places since the mid-1970s, despite being a moderately successful show while it was on the air.  The bulk of theaters are filled with kids in their late teens and early twenties, so the show was pretty much off the air sometime before they were born, or at least since they were old enough to understand dramatic TV.  It never had the cachet and marketing/merchandising power of other shows like Charlie's Angels, Dukes of Hazzard, the A-Team, etc.

Another flop was Bewitched.  The show was cornball when it aired in the first place.  Also, NEVER put Will Farrell in the role of the straight man/the foil - his acting is about as bent as it gets.  And it had some of Mod Squad's disadvantages - never had a big marketing/merchandising campaign behind it when it aired so you'd be hard-pressed to find a Bewitched lunch box or action figure/doll, and the show was pretty old by the time the movie came out so it didn't connect with a younger audience.

I could probably think of more if I worked on it.  But I'm tired.  :))

Simple fact is, if there's a moderately-to-wildly successful story in any medium behind the script, be it TV, Broadway, novels, the toy store shelves, what have you, and if it can be made on a moderate-to-cheap budget, someone somewhere in Hollywood is probably pushing to get a movie project greenlighted about it...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/