You are Here:
10 non gimick tricks you should have

Author (Read 1754 times)

10 non gimick tricks you should have
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So Jamie d Grant got me thinking, he is having 10 card trick no gimmicks, I want to brainstorm 10 close up tricks. Props don't matter, but I was thinking we could come up with the top 10 non-gimmick tricks. I want to be able to give away all the props and even though gimicks can be nice I like the idea of borrowing everything to perform. Right now I only have Wayne Houchin's French kiss, which btw I am working on a really nice twist of the idea using signed coins. If you guys have any you think of put them here. Also it never hurts to say why. I like French kiss for the fact that its very simple yet gets the best reaction of anything I perform.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:57:16 AM by John B. »
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: 10 non gimick tricks you should hve
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »

chosenthemagician

• I love magic, as simple as that.

• Twitter:
I know a borrowed dime disappearance in a gum box i could show you how to do it, if you want, me to ?
- stay classy with the cards-
- it's not the card that does magic, you do the magic-

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 11:18:43 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
I quite like just a simple force with a subtle revelation. I quite often like to walk off during an effect saying "I'll leave you to shuffling your 7 of diamonds into the deck. I'll be over here getting a drink when your ready."
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 01:21:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Most of the magic I know involves at least a standard pack of cards.  Having said that, there's enough tricks out there for a standard, ungimmicked pack of cards that you could build a ten-trick set around it.  Cards are cheap enough that you can simply give them away when you're finished, if you're playing around with basic, over-the-counter stuff and not collectors' decks.  And there's barely a guy under thirty (and many over that age) who doesn't have a poker kit lying around the apartment.

Coin magic might be the way to go.  Check out the Metal series by Eric Jones over at E.  Rich Ferguson has a couple of bill-related tricks there as well.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:42:50 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Most of the magic I know involves at least a standard pack of cards.  Having said that, there's enough tricks out there for a standard, ungimmicked pack of cards that you could build a ten-trick set around it.  Cards are cheap enough that you can simply give them away when you're finished, if you're playing around with basic, over-the-counter stuff and not collectors' decks.  And there's barely a guy under thirty (and many over that age) who doesn't have a poker kit lying around the apartment.

Coin magic might be the way to go.  Check out the Metal series by Eric Jones over at E.  Rich Ferguson has a couple of bill-related tricks there as well.

I have metal, I don't do a lot of coin magic. But this trick uses a weird palm I did when trying tenki, as far as rich goes I like his work but have not got his bill stuff yet. but I realy wanted to see what people saw as the top tricks to put together if you wanted to blow someones mind, with no gimmicks.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 02:41:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I have metal, I don't do a lot of coin magic. But this trick uses a weird palm I did when trying tenki, as far as rich goes I like his work but have not got his bill stuff yet. but I realy wanted to see what people saw as the top tricks to put together if you wanted to blow someones mind, with no gimmicks.

Well, some of the best stuff that I do involves an ordinary pack of cards and some sleight of hand.  My repertoire isn't huge, but I can get away with performing maybe five tricks without requiring something like a second deck of cards, a stripper deck, etc.

It's why magicians always carry a pack of cards.  Some of the most amazing and impressive close-up magic out there is done with a pack of cards.  There's rubber band tricks, coin and bil tricks, etc., but card tricks always stand out.

One of my faves that always seems to impress or shock poker players is the one when I shuffle the pack, let them choose one of four seats at a table, and when I deal, the other players get decent hands but they always get either a full house or four-of-a-kind.  The only requirement is a deck that can be faro shuffled, and unless you have excellent faro skills you'll want a modern-cut deck, not traditional.  That describes about 99% of USPC's output, minus their Maverick brand.  I shudder when I think of how bad Mavericks are...

Of all the possible "props" one could carry, a plain pack of cards is the most innocent.  People know cards, play with cards, they can examine the deck, etc.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:42:28 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 03:39:49 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
ReCord by Rick Lax is a good one. I perform it at school every now and again.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:40:18 AM by Joker and the Thief »
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
As for as non-gimmicked tricks go, here's what I do (in no particular order):

1. Biddle Trick by Jonathan Bayme
2. Touch by an Asian person (A rubber band trick found on the Wire)
3. Most color changes

Just do the simple ones. They may seem simple, but they hit hard.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »

magimago

Ahem - isnt a traditional cut exactly what you want for easy faroing?

Noone seems to name any tricks, There are even selfworking tricks that play out very strong. The strongest tricks are always those which involve the spectator.
so heres what you wanna learn if you want to be remembered  :D
Just from the top of my head heres what i do impromptu

multiple revelations 3-5
transpositions, a la Tivo 2.0
Shufflelesson or unshuffled
Card under box Or ACR
any card at any number

Include at least one flourish at the beginning, and one flashy move, like a card flying/popping out of the deck.
Game or Thrones is addicting

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 04:04:38 PM »

g-low

I really like LVL$ by Paul Harris.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 08:31:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Ahem - isnt a traditional cut exactly what you want for easy faroing?

Ordinarily, yes.  But for this trick, if you can't make precise faro shuffles every time from bottom to top, it's easier to simply do a weave shuffle from top to bottom, which needs to be perfect for the first 10 cards on the first shuffle, the top half of the deck for the second shuffle.  With a fresh deck, that's more easily done with a modern-cut deck.

The trick in question in the first trick in "The Unreal Work, vol. 1", an out-of-print video that you can stream from D&D if you purchase the second volume as either a stream or a DVD.  Those two are a pair of EXCELLENT videos for gambling demonstrations/tricks and the only prop needed is a deck of cards.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:32:49 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 05:10:39 AM »

pookey

• Newcomer
Personally I've found Pokers Picnic to get good results.  I like to do this when there's 3 people around the table, I get the first person to name a random number, if it's 3, I stick with it.  If it's not 3, I let the person pick the deck up and remove that number of cards from the first stack, and ask the 2nd person, then the 3rd, then do the 3 myself on the last pile.  If you know the trick that will make sense I hope.  The real changer for me in this trick is to let the users handle the piles.

Also, Out of this World works well - however I've had the last 2 people constantly just call 'red' for every card, which has knocked this trick down a bit for me.

Re: 10 non gimick tricks you should have
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I love performing what a triple kick by Paul Gordon :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)