Duality Deck by Maven (EPCC) - LIVE on KS

Author (Read 6411 times)

Duality Deck by Maven (EPCC) - LIVE on KS
« on: December 12, 2014, 11:03:51 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
now LIVE, project from  Maven of Maven 776 Playing Cards.  More photos and background there.

I specifically wanted to make a modern deck of cards, using modern paper, modern ink, modern finishes but with an immediate look of being from the Middle Ages. I wanted it to be a little rough in some places and at the same time have an old-world elegance. Something that would look like it came straight from the time of the Master of the Playing Cards.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/336695519/duality-a-new-deck-of-cards-from-maven-playing-car

Re: Duality Deck by Maven (EPCC) - LIVE on KS
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm not big on the art, but that's an incredible process he used to make those plates - seriously ancient school.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 12:47:08 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Updated render of all courts, note that the dark future stretch goal deck on the right (Duality Sombra) will have red indices yet to be added.

Duality, a handmade deck by Maven
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 03:15:20 PM »

MavenP.C.C.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/336695519/duality-a-new-deck-of-cards-from-maven-playing-car

Hi guys, I have a new deck I created. I am a professional artist and I started making a deck of cards as a personal art-project. It is a rather different deck and certainly strange but it is a one of a kind deck. I put every ounce of my passion for cards into creating it. If you want more information on how it was created, please click the link above. If you would like to see more decks made using these long-forgotten techniques with quality hand-made art please support this project.
I still have a few other decks up my sleeve that are a return to standard decks but I need to finish this one first.
Also thanks to everyone so far that has pledged, every single pledge makes a big difference.

Ok guys and gals, if you have any questions just ask!!!

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Hey Mark, Welcome to the Forum. I see you have already introduced yourself. I merged your topic with the one we already have started. We try to keep topics to one per deck. It just helps keep the place tidy. Congratulations on getting a project started. Good luck to you.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 11:56:30 PM »

MavenP.C.C.

Fantastic!! It looks much better nice and tidy. I made a couple updates describing when and what to expect from the number cards, uncut sheet layout and things for anyone and everyone who is interested.I`ve got a lot of work to do so goodbye for now. have a safe weekend.
-Mark

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/336695519/duality-a-new-deck-of-cards-from-maven-playing-car/posts

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 11:59:50 PM »

MavenP.C.C.

Also Rob I am also a Wright. Nice to meet you, I like that quote from Stephen Wright, he`s excellent..

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 11:01:03 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
The old world charm on this deck has me smitten and I'm really hoping the dark Sombra edition is made a reality.  Are you guys not feeling it or have suggestions for the artist (although I think much of the critical work is already locked in)?

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 03:24:08 AM »

MavenP.C.C.

The old world charm on this deck has me smitten and I'm really hoping the dark Sombra edition is made a reality.  Are you guys not feeling it or have suggestions for the artist (although I think much of the critical work is already locked in)?

Thanks a lot ecNate, I really appreciate all of the awesome support. I wanted to let anyone that's interested, know that tomorrow night I will post the updated court cards, number cards  and uncut sheets with all of the pips in detail as well as the Sombra deck. I also am going to post the tuck box by Friday for both decks. I will detail how I would like the embossing and foil to be so hopefully you guys can share my vision.

I hope everyone can take a look at the video that's associated with my project to try and understand a little of what went into this deck and how I am trying to preserve a very old and wonderful playing card tradition. I specifically made a deck that looked nothing like the other stuff out there. I didn't want to have the same box  or the same courts and the same lines. I wanted something immediately identifiable as new and different. At the same time I want it to have a strange dark elegance. I feel I have achieved both of those things using these very old antiquated methods of hand producing a deck of cards.

If you have suggestions or things you would like to see or know more about send a message. I get curious people everyday who are a little perplexed by what I have made so lay it on me!!

Stay tuned for the rich color updates tomorrow night.
Thanks to all of you who have helped and contributed so far. :D

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 05:51:00 AM »

HudsonDesign

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • Upcycle your life

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I cant help but love the process being used here.  Being a collector of junk, upcycler and recycler in my artworks generally any old or hand made process is something I find fascinating.

All just personal opinions of mine here of course.

Some things I just love about this deck.  All the queens except the club.  In fact the clubs in general remind me of a horror movie effect with the court faces and make me uneasy to look at them.  Which is amazing as I like the others a lot that are not like that.

I also really like the AoS and the back design.  But the colour is just not for me.  Its just a personal thing as it is for everyone though.  But its not my style.  I get the idea behind it though. And the tarnished bronze kind of thing suits the design Idea.

Isn't it interesting to see something so very nice but also a little off putting at the same time.  Just my perspective I guess.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 12:43:01 PM »

MavenP.C.C.

I cant help but love the process being used here.  Being a collector of junk, upcycler and recycler in my artworks generally any old or hand made process is something I find fascinating.

All just personal opinions of mine here of course.

Some things I just love about this deck.  All the queens except the club.  In fact the clubs in general remind me of a horror movie effect with the court faces and make me uneasy to look at them.  Which is amazing as I like the others a lot that are not like that.

I also really like the AoS and the back design.  But the colour is just not for me.  Its just a personal thing as it is for everyone though.  But its not my style.  I get the idea behind it though. And the tarnished bronze kind of thing suits the design Idea.

Isn't it interesting to see something so very nice but also a little off putting at the same time.  Just my perspective I guess.

Thanks Hudson. I actually agree with you on a few things. I am curious though, which color back would you like to see? I made pretty much any color you could think of. If you had to pick one which would it be?

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 01:42:43 PM »

HudsonDesign

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • Upcycle your life

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Im from the area of sandstone cliffs and some of the original old houses, and buildings and streets of Sydney are all built of big sandstone blocks.  Some covered with carvings and statues.

This back design made me think of that right away.  Again just a personal thing and I guess it could be a pretty boring idea to other people but the back looks carved from stone to me.

http://sydneyforeveryone.com.au/city/sydney/public-art-art-culture/civic-art-statues-buildings/

De.

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 02:04:22 PM »

MavenP.C.C.

Oh right on, ;) I did not think about sandstone. Its actually supposed to be like a golden sun color. 8) I am going to post a graphic that shows all of the colors I printed. Give me a few.

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 03:28:16 PM »

HudsonDesign

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • Upcycle your life

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
No worries.  Remember its just an opinion.  Everyones got one and no-one cares lol.  And I wouldn't want it to look specifically like sandstone if it was my deck.  But those wonderful shades of sand and cliff faces would look awesome IMO.  Although no-one else might like that at all.   :-\

I'm a strong believer in an artist staying true to their own vision.  But I also have a big mouth.

But that Queen of Hearts.  Shes really pretty.  I could hand her on the wall in my office.

De.

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 04:12:57 PM »

MavenP.C.C.

Hey there guys, I went ahead and made a sheet showing all of the colors and variations I made for this deck. Which one is your favorite for a deck of cards????
I had so many favorites I chose the top one to try and get a good representation of the variety. Whats your opinion???

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 04:13:33 PM »

MavenP.C.C.

Some more...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:14:10 PM by MavenP.C.C. »

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 04:14:34 PM »

MavenP.C.C.

and the others

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »

MavenP.C.C.

What do you guys think? Which one is your favorite for a deck??

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 10:14:16 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Too much choices. LOL.

Try narrowing it down. Allows easier decision making and less diverse nominations. No point in having 50 people telling you their favourite and you end up in a result of 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1.......

Pick a few you personally like (there are quite a few which are very similar, so you can eliminate those) then only get some opinions. After all, this is your project. No point if the end result is something you don't like.

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 10:36:54 PM »

HudsonDesign

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • Upcycle your life

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Too much choices. LOL.

This exactly.  I'm going to give you my favorite 5 to choose from.  Along with everyone else.   :t11:

Saying that the bottom line on one of those has all those sandy tones that are really pretty for this IMO.

Side note I laughed my arse off once I realized what the text is for the "evil" smiley I used above.

Made my afternoon.

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 10:53:12 PM »

MavenP.C.C.

??? absolutely!! Its been hard for me to narrow this down. So here is my top 8....

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 11:05:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
??? absolutely!! Its been hard for me to narrow this down. So here is my top 8....

In order to save you a little on printing costs, you're better going monochromatic on the back design.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 11:22:41 PM »

MavenP.C.C.

In order to save you a little on printing costs, you're better going monochromatic on the back design.

Agreed. That will definitely help with the cost. I like all of them personally so Im happy with pretty much any of them..... ;)

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 05:56:46 AM »

HudsonDesign

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • Upcycle your life

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Agree with that too.  My favorite decks are always this way.  I like three best of these but again I still like the sandy ones best from up before.  I think you should just pick your own favorite though.  For every person that says its not for them there will be someone who screams about how awesome they are.  As long as you like them, thats what matters.

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 09:24:36 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Personally, I like 2, 6, and 8. I backed this project when it first came out even though I wasn't mega-fond of the existing back color.