• DeviantArt:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:21:39 AM by Rose »

Re: Story Time Playing Cards by Eny Space Captain -KS
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 01:25:14 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I like the art on these. Not sure how I feel about the deck itself. I do like that it's functional though and has a two way back. May not get any love from me due to timing though I think the face cards are absolutely charming.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 04:16:56 PM »

enyspacecaptain

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Rose: Thank you! When you said I should check the forums out, I didn't see that you made a post for my cards. I really appreciate it!  :D (And, as you can see, I'm checking out the forums. ;) )

Fes: Thank you! I was worried the timing would be bad. I guess I'll see what happens...

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:48:09 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Artworks are nice. Do you really need those crossing white lines on the front part of the tuck case?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 05:57:40 PM »

enyspacecaptain

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thank you!

The box is supposed to look like a book, so they're pages (I actually took a picture of real book pages for it). Unfortunately, there was a mix-up in printing, so the box needed to be resent to me. When it gets in, I can see if it looks right and change it if necessary. So, in short, no, it could be changed before final production. -- I should probably mention that in the description..

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 11:16:38 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Thank you!

The box is supposed to look like a book, so they're pages (I actually took a picture of real book pages for it). Unfortunately, there was a mix-up in printing, so the box needed to be resent to me. When it gets in, I can see if it looks right and change it if necessary. So, in short, no, it could be changed before final production. -- I should probably mention that in the description..

It is a really nice deck. I say it makes a good gift for the coming holiday seasons as well. But the price on a deck of cards...really not so attractive. $20 a deck seems high. Granted a lot of effort may have been put into this deck of cards, but my guess is collectors don't really see it that way, especially when the card market is flooded with new designers and tons more new decks of cards.

I see you have previous successful KS projects under your belt, so project marketing should be no mystery to you. The only thing is previously you are marketing art, and art lovers support your project. This time round you market the same thing just through a different medium, but card collectors might not necessarily dig that. You still can get the support of art lovers, but your pledge goal tells me that you really need more supporters than that.

You may want to reconsider the pricing on your decks. Sometimes a lower price with a larger volume can earn you more money. Also, you may consider a few more pledge tiers or add-ons so people can have a versatility of choosing the number of decks they want. Lastly, you may want to consider putting out early bird tiers and stretch goals to get people pledging and get your project moving

With regards to the book-looking tuck, you may want to take a look at Black Book of Cards as well.
http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=5059.msg77896#msg77896

Just my 2cents worth of personal opinions. Follow what you think is best for you, and good luck to your project.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 11:42:24 PM »

enyspacecaptain

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thank you, PurpleIce. I'll keep those things in mind!

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 02:44:23 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Welcome Enkya, Thanks for joining us here ans sharing.
I LOVE that every card has been customized with your quirky and fun art style. Anyone who takes the time to design 56 individual cards always impresses me. I can see you have put quite a bit of work into the whole project. The book as the tuck box is a nice touch too. I was looking through your previous projects and I really like your art.
I have to agree that $20 is a lot for a MPC deck though. I hope you take PurpleIce's advice and add some early bird decks at a more reasonable price to help get your project going.
Thanks for taking the time to share with everyone here and I hope your project goes well! :)

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 03:04:07 AM »

enyspacecaptain

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thank you, Rose! I added two new early bird tiers for the project.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 06:51:55 AM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
These should be in form of an art book instead of playing cards.

Artbook
Posters
Canvas prints

Not sure why you wanted them to be in playing cards, but I think by having the art in form of playing cards, it really hides the artistic value.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 07:19:42 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
is it me, or is this deck dominated by stories where only the female is the main character?

I like the art behind it, recognise few characters, not all.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 07:36:44 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
@enyspacecaptain - You have an art deck with a "2-way" back of card.  You even have an element in the corners which is great.  It will show up when ppl use your cards.  However, I did notice you need a bit more space between the rank of the card and your spade in your indices.  Mind the gap. 

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 02:01:07 PM »

enyspacecaptain

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Alvinhy: An art book would be a nice idea. I picked playing cards for my project because I like playing cards. I would collect this sort if thing. I also collect tarot cards, which tend to have paintings and things like this (except more symbolic, of course). I was also thinking of kids: Stories and paintings and games that would be appropriate to inspire children.

Nurul: There are plenty of stories dominated by male characters. I happen to be female and know of mostly stories with female characters. A lot of the well-known fairy tales have female characters. But you could just as easily say the deck is dominated by mostly white characters too; I'm not sure why gender was the focus here.

Thanks for the comment. I probably wouldn't recognise all of the characters either, if I hadn't done the project. I didn't know of all these stories beforehand and I'm sure I took some artistic liberties as well.

Sprouts1115: Thank you. I left the closeness between the numbers and spades because it matched the other cards' placements, so when you flip through hearts, spades, diamonds, and clubs are all in the same spot and about the same size. Maybe not everyone would agree with my choice here...

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
@enyspacecaptain

It was just an open observation.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 02:25:06 PM »

enyspacecaptain

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Nurul: Oh, okay. Thank you!

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
...The box is supposed to look like a book, so they're pages...

Is this an answer on my question? If yes, I have to think that you didn’t understand me. Your idea about A book is obvious, actually. I asked about its front.

Sorry for vandalism.

These should be in form of an art book instead of playing cards.

“Art playing cards” are very popular these days despite someone’s subjective opinions :)

But I agree about the pricing. It can be a problem.

Can someone explain me how 10-20 “early birds” will help to fund this project? I think it will only help several people who know about the project to get potential decks cheaper.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:30:12 PM by Collector »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 04:46:42 PM »

enyspacecaptain

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Oh, yes! I did misunderstand you then, completely! The white on the front was inspired by some fairy tale books I saw.

No worries about the "vandalism"; thanks for the ideas.

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 08:31:44 PM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
im not saying you shouldn't design playing cards but from a business point of view I think the art would look amazing in larger prints.
I would definitely get an art book of this series!

Also you mentioned you want to inspire children? But bear in mind that all kickstarter users are 18+.

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 08:52:08 PM »

enyspacecaptain

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thank you!

But parents use Kickstarter. In my previous Kickstarters, there were people that wanted paintings for their kids, and even one person said his little girl was actually backing my project under his name. Plus, I figure if people look up "fairy tales"...

I suppose I'm not business-minded enough. I've thought it many times before. I'll learn, I'm sure. Kickstarter just may not be the best avenue for these kinds of cards. Actually, I wasn't sure if I should put this under the playing cards section or if it would be okay under art. It looks like I can change the category still even though it's live. Do you think that would be better?

[edit] I decided to give it a go, but if you think it's not a the best idea, let me know. :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:18:48 PM by enyspacecaptain »

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 12:13:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Sprouts1115: Thank you. I left the closeness between the numbers and spades because it matched the other cards' placements, so when you flip through hearts, spades, diamonds, and clubs are all in the same spot and about the same size. Maybe not everyone would agree with my choice here...

From a practicality standpoint, you generally want the indices to be easily and quickly identified.

But I wouldn't sweat that too hard really - your deck is a bit more whimsical than practical, more about the art, less about poker and the like.  When a deck is made as an art deck, many of the traditional conventions of playing cards can be bent or even broken for precisely that reason - it's art first, a pack of playing cards second.

Anyone wanting to play a stone-cold serious card game can pick up a pack of Bicycles or Bees from nearly any big box store or pharmacy chain.  This deck isn't for that purpose.

As I see it, there's consistency in design, there's attractive art pieces, there's a common theme - you've got the necessary elements.

The biggest stumbling blocks are the cost and the quality.  Art decks do tend to be more expensive, especially if they're made by a collective of artists rather than just one.  But it is truly impossible to wrap my head around any deck made by MPC being worth $20 unless one of the cards was printed on a twenty-dollar bill.  They do adequate work in print quality but the stock and coating quality isn't there for such a premium price.

Consider shopping for a better printer.  Get a price quote from Expert PCC or Legends PCC - both companies have "PCF Agent" accounts here so you can interact with them directly.  They both do excellent work and are friendly to work with, unlike the stories I've heard about a certain major card printing near-monopoly that I won't mention here...  Make a stretch goal for a better quality deck with a better printer and you might get more than a few nibbles.

And as expensive as the paper decks are, the plastic decks are budget-busters.  It might be more practical to cancel anyone who is selecting them as an add-on.  The fact that they are just add-ons and not on any tier is good - you can't cancel a tier as long as even one person remains pledged at that tier, though you can lock the tier down and prevent new backers from choosing it.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 01:27:29 AM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member
  • Living well is the best revenge!

• Kickstarter:
Great deck for single fathers - Can read their child an exciting and random bed time story using this deck, the go have a game of solitaire once the child's asleep. :)
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 05:52:15 PM »

enyspacecaptain

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Pixel: Thank you! :)

Don: Thank you! It would be kind of funny to see a stone-cold game of Poker with these cards. I'm looking into other companies at the moment, and I guess I'll see what happens.

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 01:08:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Don: Thank you! It would be kind of funny to see a stone-cold game of Poker with these cards. I'm looking into other companies at the moment, and I guess I'll see what happens.

If you want some tips to make the design more playable, get in touch with me by PM.  No reason it can't be artful and great for a card game with friends!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 09:02:18 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
The artwork looks really nice, but feel it strays to far away from the playable decks.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2014, 09:23:07 PM »

enyspacecaptain

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thanks, John. I'm curious as to why they're not playable? I haven't had problems playing with them. Is it certain games, or...?