Fishing For Compliments Deck (KS)

Author (Read 11674 times)

Re: Fishing For Compliments Deck (KS)
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2014, 07:07:44 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
@Pixel - So your changing all 4 suit colors.  Just remember you can't please everyone.  If all else fails, make it simpler.  Stick with two colors.   ? and black are good.  If you make it a 4 color card suit, I can't play solitaire with theses.  It confuses me.   

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 07:20:27 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member
  • Living well is the best revenge!

• Kickstarter:
Good point. I really just prefer hem red and black the way they were and it seems so do most my backers.
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 07:21:05 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Curious why white background and traditional colored indices were discarded in the first place. Not that this is better or worse, just wondering.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 07:31:17 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
The back is purple?

That is unexpected...

The back needs to be different colour to the front of the cards so people can be sure that they are the right way up, these dont have white faces remember, and I think purple works nicely with the aquatic colours
Instagram @squiddleink

Fishing For Compliments - Now launched on Kickstarter - Limited print run
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
My name is Stacey Jay Kelly and I have recently designed a deck of Illustrated Fresh Water Fishing Playing cards.

They are currently featured on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1286767458/fishing-for-compliments-playing-cards

I was hoping you would be interested in sharing this project or directly interested in pledges to receive a personal deck or bulk pack of decks.
best wishes and thank you so much

Stacey
Instagram @squiddleink

Re: Fishing For Compliments - Now launched on Kickstarter - Limited print run
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 07:56:49 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
More pictures
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 07:57:35 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
More images to look at
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 07:58:34 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
More diplay & tuck box
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 07:59:50 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
Here is a sample from Legends playing card who I have chosen to build the decks. They will be handled by fulfilment centre and posted internationally at no extra cost to the deck price.
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 08:00:57 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
Card display
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
The back is purple?

That is unexpected...

The back needs to be different colour to the front of the cards so people can be sure that they are the right way up, these dont have white faces remember, and I think purple works nicely with the aquatic colours

I think it looks fantastic.  It really stands out.
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2014, 09:19:11 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
Mock up of tuck box. MPC  sample deck arrives tomorrow.
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2014, 09:50:39 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My name is Stacey Jay Kelly and I have recently designed a deck of Illustrated Fresh Water Fishing Playing cards.

They are currently featured on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1286767458/fishing-for-compliments-playing-cards

I was hoping you would be interested in sharing this project or directly interested in pledges to receive a personal deck or bulk pack of decks.
best wishes and thank you so much

Stacey

Stacey, thanks for coming to the Playing Card Forum!

You'll noticed that I merged all of your topics into a single topic, the one that preexisted the ones you created.  You're new here and didn't know the protocol, which is:

- for a deck still being designed, you post about it to the Design & Development board,
- when the deck is either for sale or on Kickstarter, you post about it here on the Playing Card Plethora
- we try keeping decks in the Plethora to a single topic, as this makes it easier to find later when someone in the future wants to learn more about your deck.

As you can see by reading all of the topic, your deck has a few fans here!  We welcome you to become a part of the discussion - or any other discussion taking place around here.  When you have a moment, I invite you to create a topic about yourself on our Introduce Yourself board so we can give you a proper welcome.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:51:47 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 09:56:31 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
Hi,

awesome, yes I am getting to grips with it now, I didn't actually start this thread about my deck, and many images were submitted that were out dated and as I was currently running my campaign I decided to try and spread the new designs and break away from this topic. Luckily some member had picked up on this already and posted the new designs, but I thought it was a shame to read the comments about problems that no longer existed with the deck.

Thanks for the sweep up. Best wishes.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:03:39 PM by Pixel Initiative »
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 09:58:05 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
It says on the page that LPCC will be handling the fulfillment of her decks. I have never heard of this happening before the playing card manufacturer itself becoming the fulfillment center. Has anyone else heard of this happening before? Just strikes me as extremely odd. Here's a quote from the KS page. Aquila wasn't fulfilled by Legends for example.

All shipping will be handled by Hong Kong fulfilment centre by Legends staff. This allows me to offer free shipping internationally.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2014, 10:04:36 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
Its not Legends, Legends use the Hong Kong Fulfilment centre. The deck Sishou also used this method.

Legends are just used to working in conjunction with them and have the price lists for each country and extra handling fees to hand. I thought they were reasonable. I won't be making money but that is not my goal here. I wanted to offer shipping to everyone so its all factored in to cover pretty much cost.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:09:28 PM by Pixel Initiative »
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2014, 10:05:04 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
The back is purple?

That is unexpected...

I think it looks fantastic.  It really stands out.

Another think i could probably think of is, stick with red or pinkish for diamonds and hearts for the pips, but use dark purple for the spades and clubs, just so there is some link between the front and the back. The black doesnt look that great against the bluish background also. The only tricky part is to make the shades dark/light enough so that people can differentiate immediately between the two colours, since red and purple can be quite similar in certain ways. Just my humble opinion.

Here is a sample from Legends playing card who I have chosen to build the decks. They will be handled by fulfilment centre and posted internationally at no extra cost to the deck price.
Mock up of tuck box. MPC  sample deck arrives tomorrow.

I'm confused now. Who is doing the printing??

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
LEGENDS will print the deck. MPC is providing just a sample deck, they offer single deck mock ups. this way I can hold it and check artwork more carefully. Legends will send sample during the printing process. If my deck is funded.
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2014, 10:21:57 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Its not Legends, Legends use the Hong Kong Fulfilment centre. The deck Sishou also used this method.

Legends are just used to working in conjunction with them and have the price lists for each country and extra handling fees to hand. I thought they were reasonable. I won't be making money but that is not my goal here. I wanted to offer shipping to everyone so its all factored in to cover pretty much cost.

So it's a fulfillment center Used and Recommended by LPCC. Okay, that makes more sense.

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2014, 10:29:58 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
Yes in the pricing, a single deck to America was $6, and this was one of the most expensive so its all sort of factored into ti as I say I wont be making much money but the printing and the worst case scenario postage is factored into the pledge costs. But better then bringing them all to UK first to me because that would be 20% customs on the whole crate before even posting. UK is the meanest place in the world to Playing card creators. But I've found a way to share it.
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2014, 02:27:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
LEGENDS will print the deck. MPC is providing just a sample deck, they offer single deck mock ups. this way I can hold it and check artwork more carefully. Legends will send sample during the printing process. If my deck is funded.

PurpleIce, it's a pretty common practice these days to use MPC to create a sample deck or two and to do the remainder of the print run with another company.  USPC charges a small fortune for a single sample deck and the printing process itself is likely no different that what MPC uses - the only variations would be in the paper, and sometimes MPC prints a wee bit dark.  The last time I checked, MPC sample decks were about one-tenth the cost of USPC sample decks - less if your order more samples than just one.

It's a great way to have a deck in hand for photography and such rather than using computer-generated images.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
Exactly right.  It should arrive in a day or two was expecting it today but they said give 1 or 2 days extra just in case. Thanks for the heads up on MPC being dark though. I will note this when they arrive. Best wishes
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2014, 01:14:54 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
I chose the title Fishing For Compliments because I intend to begin a "For Compliments" range of cards the first being obviously fishing and then I will move into other categories such as "Going Primal For Compliments" which will be a deck featuring species of ape, this range will continue each year with a new topic (& a little luck).
Instagram @squiddleink

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2014, 02:17:54 PM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

Thats correct, I use this method as well to provide a worldwide free shipping.
Its one of the best choices for UK creators as the 20% import tax is insane.

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2014, 03:36:02 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member

• Kickstarter:
Through popular requests I am considering using http://www.coinsforanything.com/samples/page:4/
to add a coin option to my Kickstarter.

I've done a veeeeeery rough mock up of something to show how it could look to get some early comments. Hmmmm? Could be nice...

obviously would be embossed into that brass in reality.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 04:36:29 PM by Pixel Initiative »
Instagram @squiddleink