You are Here:
Prohibition 6-Deck Boxed Set from Ellusionist (Nov. 18th)

Author (Read 22924 times)

Re: Prohibition 6-Deck Boxed Set from Ellusionist (Nov. 18th)
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2014, 12:44:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Oh boy - now there's going to be a first edition and a second edition, subtle differences between the packaging, etc.  A fan boy's dream - or nightmare, depending on your perspective!

The decks are $40 without the box and $125 with.  I don't know if that's an $85 box in my book.  (Granted, you have to buy them with box to get them without box, so maybe some of the costs of the second set are added to the first?)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:44:42 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2014, 01:04:31 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Oh boy - now there's going to be a first edition and a second edition, subtle differences between the packaging, etc.  A fan boy's dream - or nightmare, depending on your perspective!

The decks are $40 without the box and $125 with.  I don't know if that's an $85 box in my book.  (Granted, you have to buy them with box to get them without box, so maybe some of the costs of the second set are added to the first?)

Where did $40 for the decks from?
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2014, 01:40:34 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Where did $40 for the decks from?

If you pick up the box set you have the option of adding the decks only, one time only, for Forty clams. If you do, you can snag a couple free gifts as well. Mini red LTD deck for example is one. I don't remember them all, slept since then.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2014, 06:16:56 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
If you pick up the box set you have the option of adding the decks only, one time only, for Forty clams. If you do, you can snag a couple free gifts as well. Mini red LTD deck for example is one. I don't remember them all, slept since then.

Gottcha, thanks buddy.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2014, 06:22:02 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
Picked up a boxed set and the $40 set too :) I was a bit taken back by the production run being fairly limited, but at the same time I can appreciate that a lot of work must have gone into these. Probably explains why they were pumping out DM decks so much; their creative team were all busy making these  ;D
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2014, 09:10:52 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
It looks like an interesting set, but I feel that box is over priced.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2014, 07:16:09 PM »

piratebear81

• 52 Plus Joker Member
On the 52 proof whiskey deck I think there is a spelling error on the bottom of tuck where it says "aged 21 years play wisley" in a circle. should it be "WISELY" ?  Not that my spelling is any better. I just wanted to point it out.  Maybe I'm wrong..
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:25:28 PM by piratebear81 »

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2014, 08:00:10 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
On the 52 proof whiskey deck I think there is a spelling error on the bottom of tuck where it says "aged 21 years play wisley" in a circle. should it be "WISELY" ?  Not that my spelling is any better. I just wanted to point it out.  Maybe I'm wrong..

Haha, nice. We can indudlge in these wisley! I love it. :))
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2014, 04:21:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Haha, nice. We can indudlge in these wisley! I love it. :))

Hey, it's only their SECOND misspelling of the series, right?  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2014, 01:51:57 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I bought both, the box and the extra pack. Too bad they didn't provide more photos...If the box was nice, like T11 wood engraved boxes, I was thinking to buy another box and an extra pack of 6 decks.

I don't know if is worth it to do another order now (only 5% BC) for another box and an extra pack of 6 just to resell them on ebay Europe or local maybe, just to cut a little from shipping costs which I may say again that are huge (for me). What do you think?

"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2014, 05:45:41 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Spirits are spirits.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2014, 01:47:41 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I hope to see more photos with the cards and the wood box too. I try to find a review on youtube, but nothing. Anyone?

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2014, 12:10:17 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
I hope to see more photos with the cards and the wood box too. I try to find a review on youtube, but nothing. Anyone?

I picked up the box set and the extra 6. Any pictures you want posted specifically? I can take a few and post them here directly.

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2014, 12:16:49 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Ace, kings, pimps, etc... or just spread them on a pad/table to see how it looks. I'm a little afraid that I bought something I have not seen before. My order is still processing...

Thanks a lot! :)

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2014, 12:19:24 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
Sorry I mistook what you had asked for lol I haven't open any of the decks. I'm going to keep them sealed. Sorry about that.

« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2014, 12:33:02 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Ah, np. Thanks anyway. I hope someone on the huge internet to take some photos of this decks. I am interested in specially for White Wolf. I read that on 2015 this decks will be sold separately. I don't know if will be a 2nd edition or something different about them.

If someone knows a link to a review on youtube or to some photos, please post it. I am interested to make another order, but I don't know, like I said, if the box worth the money.

speedyy400, at least can you take one or more photos to the wood box or the box is sealed too?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:34:12 AM by mirciusx »

« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2014, 01:01:34 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
I put a couple of pictures up on Imgur. I'm not quite sure how to send you an invitation to see the album so I'm just going to post what is in my address bar and hope it works lol it won't let me upload here because the picture files are too large.

http://imgur.com/a/Dy0ST#0

I hope that works.

I ended up uploading one more picture. It's another picture of the clasp that keeps it closed. I think it is probably the coolest yet smallest feature of the whole thing. You have to physically move the locking mechanism out of the way before you can open it up. The picture shows me doing so.

http://imgur.com/fVmkJZh
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 01:07:40 AM by speedyy400 »

« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2014, 09:27:47 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Thank you! I saw the photos of the box.

Just a thought, it seems that the box isn't so special and it doesn't worth the money. One box will be enough for me.

« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2014, 09:42:09 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Thank you! I saw the photos of the box.

Just a thought, it seems that the box isn't so special and it doesn't worth the money. One box will be enough for me.

Just got mine... Definitely agree - box is not worth the money in the least... Enjoy the decks though... I particularly like the Absinthe backs...

« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2014, 11:41:26 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
I agree. In hindsight, I probably could have done without it but oh well. Still a very cool set of decks to add to the collection. Helped me get the Inverted Kings in the process.

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Ah, np. Thanks anyway. I hope someone on the huge internet to take some photos of this decks. I am interested in specially for White Wolf. I read that on 2015 this decks will be sold separately. I don't know if will be a 2nd edition or something different about them.

From my understanding, they will be for sale individually. They will be V2's and they all will be vertical tucks. The Disparos, and the Absinthe deck will not be horizontal tucks.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I talked myself out of this purchase not so much because of the cards but the cost of the box....basically not enough bang for my buck. I put the decks at $10 each, which I still think is a little high, but I was being generouse. So $120 for the decks (Grabbing the second set to offset the cost a bit), leaving $45 for the box............eh, wasn't feeling it.

But, I did end up with this set im my collection from my son for my Bday which was the day after release.........the box is not worth it, but it seems just a few things could have made it better. I can see they were trying to stick with the "Theme" but something as simple at moving the "Prohibition" branding to the outside would have been better and even some grooves to simulate a crate woulod have helped. it's a nice little set, don't get me wrong, but when your paying for it, it seems a bit off kilter cost wise.

« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2014, 04:58:32 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
If someone unpacked the White Wolf deck, please post some photos. Mine will arrive in just a few long weeks. Anyway, if someone will make a review will have a lot of views, that's for sure. I guess a lot of people are thinking about paying extra for the box or not. I was thinking to buy another box and extra decks, but...I saw the comments and I change my mind.

I don't understand why is this mysterious thing about this decks...no photos about the cards from this decks on E. It's just a marketing thing to sell the expensive wood box?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:59:11 PM by mirciusx »

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
If someone unpacked the White Wolf deck, please post some photos. Mine will arrive in just a few long weeks. Anyway, if someone will make a review will have a lot of views, that's for sure. I guess a lot of people are thinking about paying extra for the box or not. I was thinking to buy another box and extra decks, but...I saw the comments and I change my mind.

I don't understand why is this mysterious thing about this decks...no photos about the cards from this decks on E. It's just a marketing thing to sell the expensive wood box?

It looks like there's photos of all of the Decks' cards on the product page, including the White Wolf Deck (http://www.ellusionist.com/prohibition-6-deck-boxed-set-playing-cards.html). Definitely enough to get an idea of what the rest of the courts and faces look like.

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2014, 06:24:38 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
 A few days ago, I have not seen those photos before in the bottom of the page. Thank you!