You are Here:
Melodick deck : tell us your opinion !

Author (Read 13495 times)

Melodick deck : tell us your opinion !
« on: June 27, 2018, 11:56:30 AM »

Magicienpag

• Newcomer
Hello everybody !

I'm new on this forum. I don't if there is a place to introduce myself here so I tell you just some info on me on this message. I'm french, sorry for my english mistakes when there will be, and I love and practice magic for 10 years. I especially love cardmagic, and therefore deck of cards (of course !) !

So, with a friend of mine, we worked very hard to create our own design... We wanted it modern and elegant. We are both fans of music so this is the theme we chose. Each suit represent a different kind of music : spades = heavy metal ; clubs = jazz ; hearts = classical music ; diamonds = folk, country music.

Each drawing has been done by hand (don't know if this sentence is correct, sorry if it isn't !), by my friend who is an incredible artist.

We would like to produce ths deck so much... It would be an amazing experience to share our work with other magicians, or simply cards lovers... So please, tell us what you think of it... in all honesty !

Here is the link : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1udKPLVK_NvnQKvv6EA5dKsxrUrJaJDQ2?usp=sharing

Thank you,

Magicienpag
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:57:11 AM by Magicienpag »

Re: Melodick deck : tell us your opinion !
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 12:35:46 PM »

Eddie Hughlett

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Magicienpag,

I see no problems with your design. I very much like the courts cards (KS & QS) where the instrument/equipment becomes the diagonal dividing line. I also very much like the design of the pips.

I personally prefer pips to be solid and not just outlines and it is curious to me that you chose shaded pips on the aces and outlines on the rest, but this is not a critique just an observation that causes a slight imbalance or inconstancy for me.

The back design seems unfinished to me, personally.

I wish you the best with your project and hope it very successful for you.
"...almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."

- S.W. Erdnase

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 01:24:11 PM »

jezzurp

• Newcomer
  • Geek, video game artist, pixel peddler
I like the theme, and the vibe / style feels right for the theme.

I like the consistency of the style on the court card / illustrations.

Agree with above that would prefer pips to be solid / shaded / filled somehow

On the harmonica one at first my eyes read it as a guy with a hotdog. Maybe I am hungry and need dinner (its about that time in England) but might need some textural / grid lines on the back of the harmonica to make it slightly easier to read?

Cool project though!

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 05:50:11 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The art overall isn't bad, but seems a little unfinished.  I agree with previous comments about the pips - they might look nicer filled in, and perhaps just a wee bit smaller.  The indices should be completely uniform, rather than having the hand-drawn look to them - even if you want them to look hand-drawn, you want them identical from card to card; all the "K" indices on the Kings should look the same, all the "Q" indices the same on the Queens, etc., and all the suit pips identical.

I think the court art would look better without a dividing line between the top and bottom halves; I'd say either go full-body with one-way images or make a proper two-way design with the top half blended into the bottom half.  I'd also go for color art there, to give it a more finished, visually-appealing look.

As much as I like a plainer Ace of Spades, most people (meaning most collectors) prefer something a little fancier, with the deck name, maker, etc. listed on the card.

Good luck to you.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/