You are Here:
American / Longley L53 or L55?

Author (Read 910 times)

American / Longley L53 or L55?
« on: April 26, 2014, 05:28:28 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
This was sold as a Steamboat, but I think it's an Eagles/"Super Enamel" deck. Either way I think I did OK for $25!

It's L55, right? AoS is the same, no Joker as is typical. OB2+
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:33:04 PM by Mike Ratledge »
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

Re: American / Longley L53 or L55?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 10:18:57 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Quite a coincidence!! As I looked at your post I reached for my Hochman and it was open at page 39 [L53 and L55 page] on my desk! I'm quite sure it is L55 based on back design [not the type used for Steamboats and what looks in the picture like slipcase [not a cheaper tuckcase]. Also cards look enameled in the picture. Our Eagles is in a tuck that says Eagles. Is your box silent on the name? Does it say APPC? If it doesn't identify the brand it is likely not original to that deck.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 11:42:54 AM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Quite a coincidence!! As I looked at your post I reached for my Hochman and it was open at page 39 [L53 and L55 page] on my desk! I'm quite sure it is L55 based on back design [not the type used for Steamboats and what looks in the picture like slipcase [not a cheaper tuckcase]. Also cards look enameled in the picture. Our Eagles is in a tuck that says Eagles. Is your box silent on the name? Does it say APPC? If it doesn't identify the brand it is likely not original to that deck.
I'm certain that you are correct, Tom, but I'm away from home because we're headed to Sunday dinner to celebrate my dad's 85th birthday with family.  When I get home I'll find the other "Super Enamel" deck I already had (which is why I was already 99% certain) and compare it to the new one.  The old one came without the fancy slip box style tuck, and to be honest unlike most of the time I didn't do my usual all-over visual inspection of this particular deck because I have too many things on my plate right now.

That brings up a question that I should create a separate topic for, but since I'm using my fat fingers on my smartphone at the moment I'll post it here: where can I find those plastic boxes that I've been using to house some of these tuck-less decks in?  I had a supply of them but I've run out and need to purchase some more.  I've seen them online at "MakePlayingCards.com" but they want basically $1.50 each by the time you add shipping to them even if you order a few dozen at once, and I'm certain that there has to be a better price somewhere.  It's a small price to pay to protect some of these old decks that I've recently found in pristine condition, but I'm frugal.
> Mike <

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 03:16:16 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
See members page at Club website where announcement below is posted - while these are not cheap they are great - we bought 8 dozen!!

"Special Offer for Club Members Only
The Club has ordered a quantity of specially designed Pack Jackets for all those decks you have that need a box. See details and how to order by clicking this Pack Jacket link."

Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
See members page at Club website where announcement below is posted - while these are not cheap they are great - we bought 8 dozen!!

The Club has ordered a quantity of specially designed Pack Jackets for all those decks you have that need a box. See details and how to order by clicking this Pack Jacket link."

While I like those for decks with tucks already and also to protect open decks that I actually use to play poker, I have quite a few and when I ran almost out of those I started looking for more of the clear plastic ones.  My problem with the pack jackets is that you can't tell what's inside them without looking, although of course if your filing system is up to snuff it wouldn't be a problem.  I've got way too many decks to be 'hiding' things from myself.  I far prefer to be able to see inside!  I did after looking around find a stash of 24 of the plastic boxes, so I'm good for a little while, although at least half of those are already 'spoken' for once I rearrange things.  I currently have a deck of Exquisite reds and Jackson's latest "Hound of the Baskervilles" decks "at arm's length".

Looking back at the original post, I'm still fairly certain that for $24.99 I did OK! ;)  Thinking about your question, I'm almost certain that it is the original box, and it does have APCC, but I don't recall "Eagles" - my memory isn't always what it used to be, but with the matching 'spare' card (back) glued to the exterior of the tuck I'm almost certain that it must.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:28:58 PM by Mike Ratledge »
> Mike <

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
No question: "Eagles" plain as day, I suppose I might have been confused by the NU13a/c? deck that is in an almost identical tuck and arrived a day before.  I've always seen them called "Super Enamel", but - it's clearly "Eagles" - now, back to the #500 (next thread).
> Mike <

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 01:06:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

While I like those for decks with tucks already and also to protect open decks that I actually use to play poker, I have quite a few and when I ran almost out of those I started looking for more of the clear plastic ones.  My problem with the pack jackets is that you can't tell what's inside them without looking, although of course if your filing system is up to snuff it wouldn't be a problem.  I've got way too many decks to be 'hiding' things from myself.  I far prefer to be able to see inside!  I did after looking around find a stash of 24 of the plastic boxes, so I'm good for a little while, although at least half of those are already 'spoken' for once I rearrange things.  I currently have a deck of Exquisite reds and Jackson's latest "Hound of the Baskervilles" decks "at arm's length".

Looking back at the original post, I'm still fairly certain that for $24.99 I did OK! ;)  Thinking about your question, I'm almost certain that it is the original box, and it does have APCC, but I don't recall "Eagles" - my memory isn't always what it used to be, but with the matching 'spare' card (back) glued to the exterior of the tuck I'm almost certain that it must.

I recall seeing a pack jacket under development at CARC that has a blank space on it to allow the owner to label the contents, making finding a deck tucked in a jacket very easy.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/