Author (Read 2420 times)

Bicycle Negro Leagues Deck - Coming Soon
« on: June 21, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Another new deck ... (sorry for the grainy pic)

for the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum: http://www.nlbm.com/

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: Bicycle Negro Leagues Deck - Coming Soon
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I don't see a need for these in my collection.  It's a definite pass for me.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Same here. I'm not going to buy everything that shines and has the bicycle logo on it. I would in other times, but not right now. Plus we barely know anything about the deck, and there's so many other ones, and better looking at that, coming out right now.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 02:07:24 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Although I'm not going to add these to my collection, I am curious to see what's the color scheme of the back design.

Plus we barely know anything about the deck, and there's so many other ones, and better looking at that, coming out right now.

Well, here's the thing. I doubt the deck was made with gamblers/magicians in mind. This deck, I believe, wasn't put on the market as a deck to play evening poker with, but rather a deck that promotes a certain group or company. Although they aren't the prettiest deck, they were created to serve its purpose.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 02:17:43 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Although I'm not going to add these to my collection, I am curious to see what's the color scheme of the back design.

Plus we barely know anything about the deck, and there's so many other ones, and better looking at that, coming out right now.

Well, here's the thing. I doubt the deck was made with gamblers/magicians in mind. This deck, I believe, wasn't put on the market as a deck to play evening poker with, but rather a deck that promotes a certain group or company. Although they aren't the prettiest deck, they were created to serve its purpose.
But then why bother paying more just to print through USPCC if these are just for advertisement?

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 02:32:41 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member

But then why bother paying more just to print through USPCC if these are just for advertisement?

For the same reason people advertise in well circulated magazines. The exposure of using the most recognizable playing card brand in the world is an important part of the promotional process.
Thanks!

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:

Why not? This deck is to promote the Negro League of Baseball that was around before the MLB allowed African Americans to play baseball (until Jackie Robinson broke the color-barrier). This deck is to educate people about this time period. Why cut corners and produce the deck cheaper when you don't have too? This is being released by the Negro League Hall of Fame, an organization that easily has enough money to produce a print run from this high quality company.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 02:48:10 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member

Why not? This deck is to promote the Negro League of Baseball that was around before the MLB allowed African Americans to play baseball (until Jackie Robinson broke the color-barrier). This deck is to educate people about this time period. Why cut corners and produce the deck cheaper when you don't have too? This is being released by the Negro League Hall of Fame, an organization that easily has enough money to produce a print run from this high quality company.

I agree 100%.
Thanks!

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 03:01:14 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

I agree 100%.
Thanks!
Thanks. I didn't actually realize what this was advertising until now. I thought it was an ad rather than a souvenir of an important historical League and a museum. This should actually work pretty well with regular, non-collecting americans. I would like to see more.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 03:10:16 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member
Stayed tuned then. They will be on my blog next week with more pictures and in color.
Thanks!

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 03:26:15 PM »

DarrylDavis

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
Stayed tuned then. They will be on my blog next week with more pictures and in color.
Thanks!

"in color".... Get it?? Haha i'm sorry, bad taste I know. But seriously this deck looks kind of cool just because it actually commemorates something worth commemorating. Not dragons, samurais, or the 20's bar scene

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 11:13:21 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@Darryl... Not that I need to scold you, because you already come off like a jack@$$ racist, but yes, it was in bad taste... Feel free to remove your insensitive comment...

On a more positive note, the cards actually look good and represent something meaningful, which is a lot more than I can say for just about any of the decks out there being produced right now...

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 11:37:16 PM »

DarrylDavis

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
Let me start off by saying i'm not a racist. Because let me understand this correctly, in the lolaq we can make fun of gays all wee want but I make a comment here and its insensitive?? is it because I posted it in the wrong section of the forum?? I'm not a racist, we can poke fun at anybody we want, gays, Mexicans, African Americans fat people, religion. It doesn't matter because I think everyone is equal and everyone can take a joke. I said nothing malicious and I was being sincere and whole heated when I said this was something worth commemorating. This shows how far we've come as a country and how equal we've become and also showing the terrible mind set of society back then and I feel that I insulted no one with my comment.all I did was make a small joke about a play on words as I would with any other thing. If you want to speak further pm me and let's not waste space.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 01:10:52 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Predictable... I'm sure some of your best friends are black too... Done with this... You've shown everyone your true "color..."

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 08:52:23 AM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member
Check out our blog post, with more information about this deck. I also added some pictures of the card faces and the backs. The box picture is in color as well.
Thanks!

http://blog.bmpokerworld.com/2012/06/bicycle-negro-league-baseball-museum.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:52:55 AM by bmpokerworld »

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 09:11:54 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Check out our blog post, with more information about this deck. I also added some pictures of the card faces and the backs. The box picture is in color as well.
Thanks!

http://blog.bmpokerworld.com/2012/06/bicycle-negro-league-baseball-museum.html

Those are very classy looking! I love the colors they chose for the Back design. The baseball seams on the Faces are a cool addon to give each card a nice "Baseball" feel. I'm curious to see more of the old Team Logo designs as well. I'll definitely be grabbing some of these.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 09:16:31 AM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member
Randy,
Glad you like them!!! Me too, I can't wait for them to be released!!!
Thanks!

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 10:58:07 AM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
They're nicer than I initially thought they would be. Maybe I'll be picking up one or two...

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 03:16:13 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
They're nicer than I initially thought they would be. Maybe I'll be picking up one or two...
Same. I kinda changed my mind now that I can see what these are more clearly and I get to see the color and non-pixelated image.

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 12:39:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Nice as they look, I'll probably pass.  I have to narrow the focus of my collecting and I'm not terribly interested in baseball.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 01:23:07 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Nice as they look, I'll probably pass.  I have to narrow the focus of my collecting and I'm not terribly interested in baseball.
I'm not really interested in baseball either. For me, however, whether or not I'll be getting this deck, it's more of a commemorative object rather than and object advertising a sport. It's a piece of history, not just an activity IMO.

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 10:51:35 AM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Over 50 years this deck will be sold 100 dollar each. Just what I think... :)