You are Here:
Steampunk Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 1549 times)

Steampunk Playing Cards (KS)
« on: February 03, 2014, 06:00:31 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
Quite the generic name.
From the creator of Kingdoms of A New World playing cards.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1657065264/steampunk-playing-cards-printed-by-uspcc

Re: Steampunk Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 06:38:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Haiku - Faux-Aged Paper

Too many steampunk decks
Eyes are rusting shut
Can't read credit card - pity
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:34:17 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:14:37 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Kingdoms of a New World has not shipped yet.

So I really really reaaaaally liked the Kingdoms of a New World Deck and backed it immediately when I saw it. However, after checking his previous campaign, Dragon's Hoard, which was months behind on delivery, I decided to cancel my pledge because I didn't want to risk it. I checked, and it seems like he has just started shipping Dragon's Hoard. Backers seem happy, even though that one was funded in March 2013 and it's taken him eleven months to get it out. It's probably because he was very communicative with his backers about the problems he encountered. It seems like he's sincere and means well. :)

I kinda like this deck. I know there are way too many Steampunk decks already, but I like the artwork on this one. Seriously considering on pledging.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:15:12 AM by Sher143 »

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 09:41:52 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
I haven't really gotten behind any of the other SteamPunk decks, though I do own a set from T11 "SteamPunks" (copyright issues?).  I love the T11 ones because, well, they're not really steampunk in style IMO and because they have traditional courts and a great feel.  Now these cards...where I am not really a fan of the courts, at all, I love the borders.  Not the backs, which I will say are certainly above average...the borders are my favorite aspect.  I really like how they frame the back and look like they actually almost have a wooden feel. It's something a little different, which I think should be applauded.  That being said I doubt I will back, the faces just are not my favorite.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
Kingdoms of a New World has not shipped yet.

So I really really reaaaaally liked the Kingdoms of a New World Deck and backed it immediately when I saw it. However, after checking his previous campaign, Dragon's Hoard, which was months behind on delivery, I decided to cancel my pledge because I didn't want to risk it. I checked, and it seems like he has just started shipping Dragon's Hoard. Backers seem happy, even though that one was funded in March 2013 and it's taken him eleven months to get it out. It's probably because he was very communicative with his backers about the problems he encountered. It seems like he's sincere and means well. :)

I was about to back out on the Kingdoms of a New World deck when I noticed he hasn't shipped his other project yet but after reading the updates, it turned out he just wasn't happy with how the printing company produced the first proof. In the end, if I remember right, he delivered his board game before the Kingdoms deck ended and I jumped in on 1 of each Kingdoms deck.

Anyway back to the steampunk cards, I do like the etched/engraved looking art buuuuuuuttttt.... nah. Pass.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 11:50:41 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I haven't really gotten behind any of the other SteamPunk decks, though I do own a set from T11 "SteamPunks" (copyright issues?).  I love the T11 ones because, well, they're not really steampunk in style IMO and because they have traditional courts and a great feel.  Now these cards...where I am not really a fan of the courts, at all, I love the borders.  Not the backs, which I will say are certainly above average...the borders are my favorite aspect.  I really like how they frame the back and look like they actually almost have a wooden feel. It's something a little different, which I think should be applauded.  That being said I doubt I will back, the faces just are not my favorite.

There are two decks with similar-enough titles.

The T11/USPC joint deck project is being referred to as "Bicycle Steam Punk" - separate words, yes, but could be considered too close for their comfort.  Seeing as how they're supposed to be the printer, this would likely be forced to have a new name.

There's another deck, a KS project by Regan McClellan, called "Steampunk Playing Cards" which were printed with Brahma Playing Cards from Mumbai.  It's unlikely he has the resources to raise a legal challenge and he's been very scarce since his project ran into serious delays and unhappy backers.  I think the deck is still for sale at Amazon.

As a legal issue, he could try to argue that the second deck diluted the copyright of the first somehow, but as mentioned above, it's unlikely to ever see a court unless this creator switches printers.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:40:17 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 05:48:44 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Same crap, different day.

They actually look as if they'd be nice etched into copper - but there's no chance the cards are going to look that much like etched copper in the finished product.  Just because you can draw it on your screen in Photoshop or some other program, doesn't mean it will look exactly like that when it comes off the printing press.