You are Here:
NEW DECK-Phil's Poker cards

Author (Read 833 times)

NEW DECK-Phil's Poker cards
« on: May 01, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »

rainking187

• True Member
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1977444587/phils-poker-cards-just-the-beginning?ref=live

Another Kickstarter deck. It doesn't really look bad, but nothing about it really grabs me either. It's going to be a plastic deck. And I think it was a very bad idea to mention at the very start of your pitch that you expect the project to be unsuccessful.

Re: NEW DECK-Phil's Poker cards
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
It doesn't looks bad but its expensive, plastic coated, and a poker deck. I'll pass on this one. It just doesn't interest me.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:27:31 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
This deck probably won't get funded, but I hope it does. It looks very nice, and I like the multiple colors.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:39:18 PM »

LeonJL

• Elite Member
  • En ce monde il n'est point de parfaite sagesse...
For some reason, i think it looks classy, but for the $20 a deck, I don't think I can afford this as well. I'll pass on this deck..

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Its alright, but not something I would buy. And I agree that saying "I know this won't suceed" In the first sentence is not a great move. ::)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 10:37:26 PM »

lordlupus

• Forum Regular
I like the design. I will pledge but it is closed to internationals at the moment. I do not understand the customs issue he mentioned. Selling in bulk will create a customs issue instead of selling in 2s or 3s.

Did he mention the print run quantity?

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 03:38:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It doesn't looks bad but its expensive, plastic coated, and a poker deck. I'll pass on this one. It just doesn't interest me.

First, ALL paper decks are plastic coated.  The laminates used are all types of plastic.

Second, this isn't even plastic-coated - it's PLASTIC, of the same material as the Bicycle Prestige deck.

I think I see why this deck is so costly.  The Prestige deck wasn't made at the USPC plant - they had it done at the Fournier plant in Vitoria, Spain.  They did the same thing for the Karnival Death Heads deck - very costly, but it's a worthwhile deck; I own it and carry it all the time.  I just wish it wasn't jumbo index and had more customizing, but as a deck of cards, it's solid and hard to ruin.  They'll faro great, just don't fan them!

I like the design.  It's unique, but he hasn't strayed too far off the path of familiarity.  No poker pro would touch these with a ten-foot pole, but I can see a bunch of college-aged guys laying these down on poker night.  And the back design, what little I could see of it, was actually intriguing.

I'm in wait-and-see mode on this deck.  His rewards are kind of costly, but the deck does have potential.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 03:39:33 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 08:07:20 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I Like the design so far...could be a solid deck. But as mentioned a bit out of range right now. Not saying his pricing is off though, I think it is spot on. Just a little much for me today.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 10:56:58 AM »

frostchew

I've handled the prestige decks and find them decent enough for basic cardistry. Too bad, I'd still stick to the good old paper stock for manipulation. The backs are kind of cool though!

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Ya, I agree with Don. The back design is intriguing and the faces are pretty mysterious and original, although the indexes are hard to see. I still don't understand the different colors for the deck story...