You are Here:
Faroing Info

Author (Read 1434 times)

Faroing Info
« on: June 26, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Hello, so I have read multiple topics talking about Standard vs Traditional cut decks, and info for faroing etc, but none of those answer my inquiries. I know there are multiple ways of faroing: front to back, back to front, with the top pack above or below etc. I know that if you faro perfectly the normal ways 8 consecutive times, you will end up with the deck in the exact same order as below. But I have also heard that there is a way, without sleights, to faro the cards, but when pushing both faroed parts together, having them still in the same order. I heard it has something to do with faroing in vs. out. Can anyone clear me up on this? Thx.

Re: Faroing Info
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:08:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello, so I have read multiple topics talking about Standard vs Traditional cut decks, and info for faroing etc, but none of those answer my inquiries. I know there are multiple ways of faroing: front to back, back to front, with the top pack above or below etc. I know that if you faro perfectly the normal ways 8 consecutive times, you will end up with the deck in the exact same order as below. But I have also heard that there is a way, without sleights, to faro the cards, but when pushing both faroed parts together, having them still in the same order. I heard it has something to do with faroing in vs. out. Can anyone clear me up on this? Thx.

Simple.  There is no way to do it without using either a gimmick (which I've never heard of) or some sleight of hand.  The sleight of hand method is actually very simple.  Go to T11 and download Homer Liwag's "Filipino False Faro" video; it has excellent instruction both in standard faro shuffling and in making a convincing-looking faro or weave shuffle into a false shuffle.  (Weave shuffles are "imperfect faro" shuffles, where some of the card are clumped together and weren't weaved apart during the shuffle.)

What you referred to above as the "normal" way to faro is a little incorrect.  There are two ways to faro, both being "normal" - an in-faro and an out-faro.  The difference between them is that out-faro shuffling leaves the top and bottom cards unchanged when the shuffle is completed.  An in-faro makes them one card away from the top and bottom, respectively.

Eight out-faro shuffles will restore a deck to its original order.
26 in-faro shuffles will bring a deck into perfect REVERSE order.
52 in-faro shuffles, therefore, will restore the deck to its original order as well.

But who has time for all that extra shuffling, right?  Most people simply use the out-faro and call it a day.  But some performers take advantage of the fixed mathematics of how faro shuffles alter the order of the deck in predictable ways and use it to set up the deck into an order that helps them facilitate a particular trick.  Ever see the storytelling tricks where the magician flips over the cards and each becomes an element of the story just before the card is flipped over?  "Jack lived on 357 King Street, upstairs from the club" - and he flips over a Jack, 3, 5, 7, King and a club-suited card (probably the Ace) in that order, etc.  Reverse-engineering faro shuffles to order the cards exactly as needed, when needed, is one way to get that trick done.

What is arguably the most difficult piece of sleight of hand in all of card magic (and perhaps ALL magic in general) is one of Ricky Jay's specialties - a tabled faro shuffle that looks exactly like a legitimate table riffle shuffle.

Another video you might find of interest in learning about faro shuffles would be the recently-released "Anti-Faro" - I know Dan and Dave are selling it and I think Theory11 is as well.  It would allow you to faro a deck in one shuffle, "un-faro" it in the next shuffle and there you have it, back to the original order.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:14:27 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 01:37:56 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Thanks so much for that Don  :D I've been looking for such a detailed post for a long time. I actually own the FFF by Homer Liwag, but I thought there was another way to false faro shuffle. I have actually just bought the Anti-Faro by Christian Engblom. I am also going to go to a friend's house: he has Past Midnight, and some Joshua Jay and Alex Elmsley DVDs and lectures than include talks about the Faro. They might be helpful. But thanks a lot for that Don. Do you think the Tabled Faro tutorial from T11 might also be helpful in understanding the main concept better?

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:01:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks so much for that Don  :D I've been looking for such a detailed post for a long time. I actually own the FFF by Homer Liwag, but I thought there was another way to false faro shuffle. I have actually just bought the Anti-Faro by Christian Engblom. I am also going to go to a friend's house: he has Past Midnight, and some Joshua Jay and Alex Elmsley DVDs and lectures than include talks about the Faro. They might be helpful. But thanks a lot for that Don. Do you think the Tabled Faro tutorial from T11 might also be helpful in understanding the main concept better?

Tabled faro shuffles are EXTREMELY DIFFICULT.  Even the magician who made that video states that he can't do them 100% perfect every time.  Learn to crawl before you walk, learn to walk before you run (this would be more like running an Ironman marathon)...  I wouldn't attempt it until I had faro shuffles in-hand down COLD, inside and out, perfect every time.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:42:25 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

Tabled faro shuffles are EXTREMELY DIFFICULT.  Even the magician who made that video states that he can't do them 100% perfect every time.  Learn to crawl before you walk, learn to walk before you run (this would be more like running an Ironman marathon)...  I wouldn't attempt it until I had faro shuffles in-hand down COLD, inside and out, perfect every time.
Oh, I know that! If Jason England himself says he can't get it everytime, I don't think I'd ever be able to. But my question is, does anyone who owns the download know if it can help me better understand and grasp the concept of faro shuffles and how they work etc.?

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:05:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Oh, I know that! If Jason England himself says he can't get it everytime, I don't think I'd ever be able to. But my question is, does anyone who owns the download know if it can help me better understand and grasp the concept of faro shuffles and how they work etc.?

While not having see it myself, I'd think that it would be helpful on a few levels.  Faro shuffles, table shuffling, etc.  Since it's a cheap download, you should give it a shot.  Just know that the end result table faro is a tough trick to master.  You've viewed some preliminary videos on faroing so it shouldn't be totally alien territory to you.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 11:29:52 AM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I don't really understand the move. Is it the fact to have a faro shuffle with one card outjogged each on a table. Like you would do when doing a giant fan, but on the table?

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 09:26:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I don't really understand the move. Is it the fact to have a faro shuffle with one card outjogged each on a table. Like you would do when doing a giant fan, but on the table?

When you squish two halves of a deck together to make a giant fan, that's the first step to make a faro shuffle.  Finish squishing them together and you've completed the shuffle.

The point behind faro shuffles is that they allow you to shuffle a deck in a way that's 100% predictable.  You can track a card's movements, stack some cards to appear in a certain order, all kinds of fun and hi-jinks.

Completing a faro as a table shuffle, making it look like a totally believable riffle shuffle, is the most difficult piece of sleight of hand you can perform.  Few people can execute it, fewer still consistently.