You are Here:
Favorite Green Decks?

Author (Read 2927 times)

Favorite Green Decks?
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:55:29 PM »

spindles

Here's a chance to show off some of your collection and help me at the same time :)

What are some of your favorite green-colored decks?

I'm in the market for some general purpose decks and quite simply, love green.

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:56:52 PM by spindles »

Re: Favorite Green Decks?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:11:01 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Gatorbacks - David Blaine
Madison Dealers - Ellusionist
Crown Deck - The Blue Crown
Artifice V2 - Ellusionist
Legends V1 - LPCC
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:20:57 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:12:20 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I like threads like these!

Well, these are my favourite green decks:

(1) Legends V1 -- because they handle brilliantly :D
(2) Bee Erdnase green acorn back.
(3) Expert at the Card table deck V2 -- they handle better than the V1s!

... and that's about it, because I can't think of very many other green decks. I know that the madison Dealers come in green... but I absolutely hated the way they handled, because they felt pretty cheap (which was a shame, seeing as other madison decks handle notably well).

The Legends V1 green deck is by far my favourite though. Not exactly a conventional green... but still, green nonetheless!

With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:26:51 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
There's so many decks with nice green backs that I like. I'll include a few mostly green back decks as well, but not numbers because it's very difficult for me to number then to what I like best.

Brazil 2014, Crown deck green back, Green Tally Ho circle back (I wish I still had a deck), Green Noc v3 (I like EPCC cards a lot), Bicycle Green trace (I don't have one of these anymore either lol), Bicycle Deco silver, Pressers, Emerald Ornates, Griffin Deck, Legends v1, and Gatorbacks. Haven't had much time to play with my gatorbacks I already love them.

There's ten but I'll add a couple and make it a dozen. Going to go ahead and list Green Leaf Bicycle, I like the backs on them. If I could only have one green deck, I'd probably go with Pro xcm viper. It's just a gorgeous deck imho. :)

There's so many great green decks out there you'll have a ball with them if green is your thing. :) I wish I was a better collector, I should have saved a Tally Ho green circle back and a Green trace Bicycles for the collection. Ah well, I'll just have to get some more.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 03:03:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If you're looking for a working deck, it's hard to go wrong with the Green Crown deck, from the Blue Crown.  It's printed on Bicycle stock with standard finish, has Arrco faces and is available in some popular magic variants: stripper, invisible, Svengali and forcing.

Another good choice is the green NOC - the back "design" is just a solid field of green with a white border.  Version 1 was Bicycle stock with USPC standard faces and Magic Finish (it was probably the cheapest MF deck available) and came with identical jokers and an extra Queen of Hearts.  Version 2 added a variant court design (some details removed for a simpler appearance) and a marking system to identify suit, and the "extra" card was changed to the Two of Hearts.  The newest version switched printers from USPC to Expert PCC so the stock and finish are quite different, has no extra card and the in-box quotation was changed to a card reveal to make up for the lost extra card.  EPCC uses a 54-card sheet, USPC's has 56 cards.

I'm also a fan of a very good, still easy-enough to find deck - the Tactical Field version of the Bicycle Rider Back.  The stock is a bit stiffer and it handles pretty well, plus the shade of red on the cards is much darker.  They were intended for military use under "red light" conditions - during night operations, many troop vehicles are equipped with red lights and standard issue flashlights come with removable red lenses, thus providing illumination without ruining the soldiers' ability to see at night, and the ordinary "Bicycle red" is too bright to be visible under the red lamps and flashlights.  The deck does have a few big drawbacks, though.  Not only is it out of print (while still reasonably priced) but the tuck boxes are "camouflaged" for red-light readability with no markings to indicate which of the two back colors you have, deep green or black.

Another green deck I like is the Bicycle Eco deck.  It's made of recycled and recyclable materials using non-toxic, all-natural coatings and inks, and while also out of print is still available but reasonably priced.  The red suits in the deck are changed to green.

Arrco "US Regulation" decks are available in green - I advise against them.  The coating came out terrible and the cards stick together too much.

For a very classy look, Ellusionist's Artifice deck comes in an attractive emerald green, both full-sized and miniature.  There's also a Gaff System for it - a deck with gaffs for the green, v2 blue and Tundra editions of the deck, complete with instruction DVD.

The Smoke and Mirrors series from Dan and Dave had an "Eco Edition" with version 4, a color close to olive drab with color-matched courts in the original edition.  Better to get the reprints from the version 7 boxed set, now available individually with standard USPC faces.  They're cheaper and have a Magic Finish coating.  The originals reportedly have a custom coating that's never been identified by anyone outside of D&D or USPC.

Want excellent handling?  Bill Kalush created the Bee Erdnase 216 in green and brown.  The back design is one way, but the finish, produced by USPC under his supervision, is unlike anything they've ever produced in recent years or since.  The old-style faces are nice, as long as you don't mind having custom-faced kings - Bill is on the King of Hearts while David Blaine is on the King of Spades; I can't recall the remaining two, but they're the same people he puts on pretty close to all of his decks.

Bicycle Rider Backs were produced as limited editions in green three times - one was a straight deck which I think was ordered by Diavoli and came in the classic box when first produced but now comes in a "standard" box and comes from Erlanger instead of the originals, which came from Cincinnati.  The other two were equipped with gaff cards for the extras, created by Magic Makers.  One was a standard green while the other is an "inverse green" - the colors are reversed from what they normally look like.  I'm nearly certain both versions had all-green faces.  They're not easy to work with - the red pips don't look right on the deep green background.  But it could be worse - looking at the yellow version of this deck is like having self-conducted laser eye surgery with a lightsaber for a scalpel...

I'm sure there's more, but that's what comes to mind for now.

Fes: treat those TH greens with respect!  They're called "Platinum Edition" for the silver border around the green back and were produced for a Japanese magician named Tomohiro Maeda as a very limited and out of print edition.  The best examples are available with the original box, containing the deck, some instructions for magic tricks in Japanese and some really cool stickers (see the image below).  For the reason of rarity, I didn't recommend them as a working deck.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:04:57 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 09:55:37 PM »

spindles

Thank you everyone! I am enjoying exploring your favorite decks. I can tell it is going to be VERY hard to choose :)

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:59:24 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
All great decks mentioned, I want to add the following...

Bicycle Griffin

Viper, I know their not very practical for much beyond cardistry, but they are an awesome Green deck :)

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 10:28:03 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran

I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 11:12:43 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Dude, that zelda deck is effin awesome, with a capital AWESOME!!
There's so many green decks out there, can't say I have a favourite cos green ain't really my colour. However, legends v1 kind of kick ass.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:14:28 AM by Nurul »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 01:47:45 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
That Zelda deck is pretty cool, I know there still out there, anyone possibly have a link to save me the trouble, lol

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 01:54:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That Zelda deck is pretty cool, I know there still out there, anyone possibly have a link to save me the trouble, lol

http://sorenkalla.storenvy.com/products/4296386-hylian-court-playing-cards

$14 a pack.  Read about the EXTRA cards you can get...

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 02:00:13 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Thanks Mr. Boyer  :)

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 02:49:11 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Thanks from me as well. I gotta get my paws on a couple of that. One is definitely hitting the poker table. :)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'll have to put the Hylian deck on my wishlist. 

Not a green deck, but another Zelda inspired deck here:

http://www.fangamer.com/products/cards-of-legend

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 09:23:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thanks from me as well. I gotta get my paws on a couple of that. One is definitely hitting the poker table. :)

Gentlemen, you're welcome.  I believe the deck also comes in blue - I saw some blue back design art when I did my GOOGLE SEARCH to find this deck.  Yup, it was that simple.  :))

I'll have to put the Hylian deck on my wishlist. 

Not a green deck, but another Zelda inspired deck here:

http://www.fangamer.com/products/cards-of-legend

I'd wager that's the more well-known of the two.  Comes in red and blue.

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 09:57:57 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
There's a few of them.