Post Your Collection / Your Newest Acquisitions

Author (Read 353316 times)

Re: Post Your Collection / Your Newest Acquisitions
« Reply #475 on: December 23, 2013, 03:46:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Here is my collection so far sans duplicates and a handful of bikes that I don't really value as collectors pieces.
My newest deck was the Blue Crown that came with a Porper Clip I got off eBay.
Sadly I just found out my Whispering Imps decks got shipped to the wrong place =.(

I recognize most of the cards.  Which is the black one - top row, third deck?  And what's the story on the two larger decks to the right?  The top is a tarot deck, but is that other one also?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #476 on: December 23, 2013, 06:56:56 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Here is my collection so far sans duplicates and a handful of bikes that I don't really value as collectors pieces.
Sadly I just found out my Whispering Imps decks got shipped to the wrong place =.(

I recognize most of the cards.  Which is the black one - top row, third deck?  And what's the story on the two larger decks to the right?  The top is a tarot deck, but is that other one also?

I believe the third deck is the espionage deck.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #477 on: December 23, 2013, 08:05:12 AM »

Firdawesome

• True Member

The tarot deck on the top right came with the Special Edition of Dishonored (one of the best games released last year, in my humble opinion).

You can see the images here: http://dishonored.wikia.com/wiki/Dishonored_Tarot_Deck
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:21:09 AM by Firdawesome »

« Reply #478 on: December 23, 2013, 09:31:45 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
This came in yesterday

« Reply #479 on: December 23, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.

The black deck is indeed the Espionage deck, It doesn't show well in the photo.
The second larger deck is also tarot cards, but not a full deck, just a few of the major cards illustrated by one of my favorite artists, Akihiko Yoshida.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #480 on: December 23, 2013, 11:36:37 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
This came in yesterday

Was this a kickstarter deck? Do they have a website?

« Reply #481 on: December 23, 2013, 12:31:39 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
This came in yesterday

Was this a kickstarter deck? Do they have a website?

Yup, its a kickstarter deck from the same guy who did genesis and allure.

http://aethercards.com/discourse/playing-card-plethora/king-of-kings-playing-cards-tpx-designs-%28ks%29/msg76077/#msg76077

Not too sure if he has a website. The website provided on the creator's KS profile seem to be a dead link

« Reply #482 on: December 23, 2013, 01:54:30 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

« Reply #483 on: December 23, 2013, 06:50:02 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
Justin O: What is the deck to the right of the Blue Jaqk Cellars? I can't read the name of it =(
Edit: nevermind I didn't read through all the comments. Question was answered =p

Also I was looking at one of my new decks, the White Artisans and I saw that they were marked. It wasn't large but noticeable. They are still sealed and I haven't really moved them since taking them from the box. Do you think if I contact Theory 11, would they possible send me a new deck in exchange for the ones I have? I have attached a picture of it. It isn't bad, but it is something that will bother me now that I know it is there.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:56:42 PM by speedyy400 »

« Reply #484 on: December 23, 2013, 08:26:50 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Mailbox was full this afternoon.  Got the beautiful Fed 52 Part 2... I do not think any more comments are required for those gorgeous decks

Also got my evolution and mazing decks

« Reply #485 on: December 24, 2013, 01:17:53 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

I received a package with three new Decks today. The White Luxury and Imperials look great together!!  ;)

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #486 on: December 24, 2013, 03:41:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Also I was looking at one of my new decks, the White Artisans and I saw that they were marked. It wasn't large but noticeable. They are still sealed and I haven't really moved them since taking them from the box. Do you think if I contact Theory 11, would they possible send me a new deck in exchange for the ones I have? I have attached a picture of it. It isn't bad, but it is something that will bother me now that I know it is there.

That looks kind of minor, really.  Try emailing T11 and see what they say.  Worse that will happen is that they say no, it's too minor to warrant replacement, leaving you no worse off than you are now.

« Reply #487 on: December 24, 2013, 03:49:26 AM »

verloren

• Forum Regular
2x Bike branded Calaveras arrived today.

« Reply #488 on: December 24, 2013, 04:24:47 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular
Got my Fed 52 Part II in today. Beautiful cards, and I really can't add anything to what's already been said about them.  Really they are incredible.  But I do have one thing that's bugging me and wondering if it happened to anyone else, my LE edition cards, they aren't sequential. Received #'s 430 & 432 but otherwise, magnificent cards.
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #489 on: December 24, 2013, 11:58:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Got my Fed 52 Part II in today. Beautiful cards, and I really can't add anything to what's already been said about them.  Really they are incredible.  But I do have one thing that's bugging me and wondering if it happened to anyone else, my LE edition cards, they aren't sequential. Received #'s 430 & 432 but otherwise, magnificent cards.

I rarely end up with sequential decks when getting numbered decks.  I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

« Reply #490 on: December 26, 2013, 10:49:41 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular
I picked up 2 decks of Bees from the local Walgreens, 1 red and 1 blue. They were on the same hanger one right in front of the other but when I opened them, the 2 jokers & guarantee card for the red deck are marked Cincinnati OH while the blue deck has only 1 joker and guarantee card marked Made in USA & Erlanger KY.  Both boxes are also marked the same with Cincinnati OH on the side.

Nothing major I know, but I found it interesting. Especially since its kinda hard to find Bees where I live.  As an aside, I'd say the blue deck marked Erlanger handles better.  >:(
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 10:52:08 PM by chach »
-El Guapo

« Reply #491 on: December 31, 2013, 07:31:45 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I had some goodies come through today :) aurum decks I've been wanting for a good while, my ever so loving gf surprised me with them :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #492 on: December 31, 2013, 09:35:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I picked up 2 decks of Bees from the local Walgreens, 1 red and 1 blue. They were on the same hanger one right in front of the other but when I opened them, the 2 jokers & guarantee card for the red deck are marked Cincinnati OH while the blue deck has only 1 joker and guarantee card marked Made in USA & Erlanger KY.  Both boxes are also marked the same with Cincinnati OH on the side.

Nothing major I know, but I found it interesting. Especially since its kinda hard to find Bees where I live.  As an aside, I'd say the blue deck marked Erlanger handles better.  >:(

During the transition period from Cincinnati to Erlanger, many unused Cincinnati deck boxes were filled with Erlanger cards.  You got lucky on the quality - some decks didn't come through as well until the "shakedown" at the Erlanger plant ended roughly a year after they moved in.  Though now that I think if it, I remember only seeing Bicycle (standard and custom) and Tally Ho as being affected - I don't recall anyone complaining about the Bees during that time.

A good rule of thumb - if a recent deck in a Cincinnati box has a black deck seal, there's a strong chance (a near-certainty) that the deck was made in Erlanger and not Cincinnati.  Blue or red seals mean the deck is a Cincinnati deck, but you won't find them on the new Bicycle Standard boxes, at least not yet.

« Reply #493 on: January 01, 2014, 04:12:38 AM »

chach

• Forum Regular

A good rule of thumb - if a recent deck in a Cincinnati box has a black deck seal, there's a strong chance (a near-certainty) that the deck was made in Erlanger and not Cincinnati.  Blue or red seals mean the deck is a Cincinnati deck, but you won't find them on the new Bicycle Standard boxes, at least not yet.

Thanks for the info Don, that's exactly how these two were sealed, Cinci w/ Blue, Erlanger with Black.  Will have to head back there and see how the other one is sealed.
-El Guapo

« Reply #494 on: January 01, 2014, 08:56:45 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty

Hey Don,

Thanks a lot for that excellent piece of info!

I purchased a few standard Bee decks around 6 months ago, and I was stunned at how badly they handled. I opened two of the 6 decks, and because they were both equally bad, I figured that the remaining 4 were going to be of little use to me, and so I gave them away as freebies for anyone who purchased a deck which I'd listed on eBay.

I was surprised because I'd always heard that Ohio made decks had superior quality... yet the ones I used absolutely sucked.

After reading the posts by yourself and Chach (by the way, thanks for spotting the issue!), I pulled out the Bee deck again, and the cards were indeed Erlanger made, and the tuck box had a black sticker!

I actually feel happier now that I know why the cards were sub-par. Thanks a lot guys!

Whilst I'm at it, here is a photo of my December receivings:

-- 2 bricks of Black Legends
-- 3 x Red Exquisite
-- 10 x V2 Pack Jackets
-- 3 x Richard Turner's Gamblers

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 10:42:47 AM by HolyJJ »
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #495 on: January 01, 2014, 12:22:43 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
HolyJJ, why so many Black Legends? Are you a performer or do you just have TONS of neighborhood poker tournaments?

« Reply #496 on: January 01, 2014, 12:36:23 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
HolyJJ, why so many Black Legends? Are you a performer or do you just have TONS of neighborhood poker tournaments?

Hey man!

I'm not a performer (yet!)... but I do practice a lot (sometimes 2 hours a day), and so I go through decks relatively fast!

I've spent the past 3 months trying to perfect my bottom deal so that there's no noticeable knuckle flash underneath the deck, or any finger flash on the side of the deck after the card is extracted... and I find the latest USPCC decks tend to be way too slippery, and so I often end up either not being able to extract the bottom card, or have an extra card come out for the ride!

And so despite fact that the Legends are a bordered deck, I personally find that the coating on the cards are pretty much perfect for my bottom deals -- I get the perfect balance of slip, and tackiness to extract a card cleanly.

So currently, the Legends and the Exquisite deck (which I think handles even better!) are my favourite recent releases to practice with. Other decks that I love to practice with (which are no longer produced) are the Richard Turner Gamblers and the Richard Turner Bee decks... but seeing as they difficult to find these days, I'm stocking up on Legends and Exquisites.

Once my bottom deal and diagonal palm shift become world class, I might just end up having a ton of neighbourhood poker tournaments. Lol.

Thanks for asking brother :D
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #497 on: January 01, 2014, 03:11:21 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran

Hey man!

I'm not a performer (yet!)... but I do practice a lot (sometimes 2 hours a day), and so I go through decks relatively fast!

I've spent the past 3 months trying to perfect my bottom deal so that there's no noticeable knuckle flash underneath the deck, or any finger flash on the side of the deck after the card is extracted... and I find the latest USPCC decks tend to be way too slippery, and so I often end up either not being able to extract the bottom card, or have an extra card come out for the ride!

And so despite fact that the Legends are a bordered deck, I personally find that the coating on the cards are pretty much perfect for my bottom deals -- I get the perfect balance of slip, and tackiness to extract a card cleanly.

So currently, the Legends and the Exquisite deck (which I think handles even better!) are my favourite recent releases to practice with. Other decks that I love to practice with (which are no longer produced) are the Richard Turner Gamblers and the Richard Turner Bee decks... but seeing as they difficult to find these days, I'm stocking up on Legends and Exquisites.

Once my bottom deal and diagonal palm shift become world class, I might just end up having a ton of neighbourhood poker tournaments. Lol.

Thanks for asking brother :D

Weird that you say that because I started really dedicating time everyday to my bottom deal around the same time. Odd coincidence.
Without getting too off topic here, I actually find Bicycle stock MUCH easier to do bottom deals with. Bee stock is too stiff and really hurts my fingers. I also really don't like the finish on the Legends or Exquisites. I can't get over the plastic-like feel and smell of the cards. But hey, if it works for you and gets the job done, go with it.
And those knuckle flashes are a real bitch to get rid of, but good luck!

« Reply #498 on: January 01, 2014, 04:40:31 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Hey Don,

Thanks a lot for that excellent piece of info!

I purchased a few standard Bee decks around 6 months ago, and I was stunned at how badly they handled. I opened two of the 6 decks, and because they were both equally bad, I figured that the remaining 4 were going to be of little use to me, and so I gave them away as freebies for anyone who purchased a deck which I'd listed on eBay.

I was surprised because I'd always heard that Ohio made decks had superior quality... yet the ones I used absolutely sucked.

After reading the posts by yourself and Chach (by the way, thanks for spotting the issue!), I pulled out the Bee deck again, and the cards were indeed Erlanger made, and the tuck box had a black sticker!

I actually feel happier now that I know why the cards were sub-par. Thanks a lot guys!

No sweat.  Bear in mind that any more recently made decks are far better out of Erlanger - superior to the Cincinnati output towards the end.  Except perhaps the Bicycles - they're using a different stock "recipe" for the Bike Standards and it's not as good.

Bear in mind, those Legends and Exquisites are more likely to get BETTER with age, rather than worse.  It's been my experience with other decks from the same printer.  They really take a licking and keep on ticking.

« Reply #499 on: January 02, 2014, 05:06:55 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Haven't bothered to post anything in here, but this was a grab I am pretty pleased with. Found a poorly listed ebay auction, and was able to get these fellas for $170.
Which, interestingly enough, seems to have been sold by an Ellusionist employee's female mate.