Glassback Playing Cards: Primary Edition
« on: April 14, 2015, 10:13:13 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Glassback Playing Cards: Primary Edition
by Simon Bruno

LIVE!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/170389235/glassback-playing-cards-primary-edition

Re: Glassback Playing Cards: Primary Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 06:06:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
They're kinda bright - where are my sunglasses...?

Everyone, I have an announcement: the next project creator who uses the term "minimal" incorrectly to describe their deck project will be cheerfully cooked alive, served with fava beans and a nice chianti.  Nothing about that riot of color on the card back says "minimal" to me - if anything, it screams "circus tent!"

It's a nice deck for cardistry, if you like that kind of thing for your cardistry.  I hear some cardists prefer a quieter design, letting their talents shine more than the playing cards, but I guess it's an individual cardist's preference, either way.  Other than that, though, there's not much to say about this deck.  Side-loading tuck, made by Expert, that's all good.  But it probably has standard faces - it's hard to tell since they don't actually show any aside from the custom jokers and Ace of Spades.

In other words, it looks very much like about a half-dozen or so other projects and commercial releases that came out before it, with nothing to make it genuinely distinctive besides a poor use of the word "minimal" and really bright primary colors.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 11:57:19 PM »

sc20brun

• Newcomer
Hello! I am new to the forum and I am glad to see some of you have seen my deck already! Super excited to get more involved on this forum.

Don, thanks for the feedback. I apologize about the minimal misunderstanding. I guess in the end it comes down to interpretation but I do agree with you that it is used often now.

It is bold and its not for everyone but my goal was to work with an artist to create something bold and different.

Regardless thanks a lot for the comment. Always nice to see what other people think!

Thanks,

Simon

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 10:37:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello! I am new to the forum and I am glad to see some of you have seen my deck already! Super excited to get more involved on this forum.

Don, thanks for the feedback. I apologize about the minimal misunderstanding. I guess in the end it comes down to interpretation but I do agree with you that it is used often now.

It is bold and its not for everyone but my goal was to work with an artist to create something bold and different.

Regardless thanks a lot for the comment. Always nice to see what other people think!

Thanks,

Simon

Simon, allow me to welcome you to the forum.

What comes to your mind when you think of stained glass?  When I think of stained glass, I think of the high-quality work you'd find in a fine church or a cathedral.  Back in the day, that WAS entertainment for the common man.  People didn't have interwebs and MTV - they had artwork made of glass and illuminated by the sun, which most only saw once a week while attending services worshipping their deity.  It was heady stuff for them - the only piece of non-folk art most people came in contact with.

This pattern reminds me more of the colorful, adhesive, patterned-plastic sheets people used to put on glass in the 1970s for a more psychedelic look.  They're nice from a certain perspective, but compared to what my mind conjures up with that name, it doesn't hold a candle.  The point is this - your project has high aspirations based on its title - why not make it live up to those aspirations?  You could make a design that really rocks here.

Your present design is nice.  Nice isn't worth $12 a pack, though.  Go for something higher - something far better than nice - and you could end up with one of those really cool "runaway train" projects.  This one will probably meet its goal, but why not aspire for more?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 12:50:25 PM »

sc20brun

• Newcomer

Thanks,

Simon

Simon, allow me to welcome you to the forum.

What comes to your mind when you think of stained glass?  When I think of stained glass, I think of the high-quality work you'd find in a fine church or a cathedral.  Back in the day, that WAS entertainment for the common man.  People didn't have interwebs and MTV - they had artwork made of glass and illuminated by the sun, which most only saw once a week while attending services worshipping their deity.  It was heady stuff for them - the only piece of non-folk art most people came in contact with.

This pattern reminds me more of the colorful, adhesive, patterned-plastic sheets people used to put on glass in the 1970s for a more psychedelic look.  They're nice from a certain perspective, but compared to what my mind conjures up with that name, it doesn't hold a candle.  The point is this - your project has high aspirations based on its title - why not make it live up to those aspirations?  You could make a design that really rocks here.

Your present design is nice.  Nice isn't worth $12 a pack, though.  Go for something higher - something far better than nice - and you could end up with one of those really cool "runaway train" projects.  This one will probably meet its goal, but why not aspire for more?

Thanks a lot for the welcome. This forum seems to be a great resource for deck designers and I plan to utilize it in the future. Just in the days after the launch of the project I have been inspired based on all of the feedback I have been getting. My current goal is to get this first edition funded. My second goal is to fulfill all the orders for the first edition. My third goal is to start refining the product once again and to work closely with the playing card community to create something much more than my first project. Of course I will be taking this one step at a time and my first deck is my first priority right now but I completely understand what you are saying. I look forward to your feedback on the second edition and I hope the work that comes out of this series of decks will surpass your expectation in the future. Thank you so much for your feedback we will be in touch!

Simon