You are Here:
Emerald Tally Ho Playing Cards by Jackson Robinson (KS)

Author (Read 15606 times)

Re: Emerald Tally-Ho by KWP (KS 05/02/15 12pm central)
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2015, 11:01:55 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
And if any body is thinking of cancelling their pledge for the legacy deck please tell me !!

It's gonna be a mad dash when that happens. I overslept (well..it was like 1am for me) missed out the legacy and MMD#4. Bad day for me.

I am guessing there should be a third and probably fourth. Quite similar to the Ornates deck, most probably a "sapphire-coloured" Tally-Ho and probably one more. I am guessing Topaz, but then again yellow is already out. And i am sure he has more family members to make it for as well...  :P

It's just a guess for now though....

The price tag certainly is higher on these, but with the low print-run, all those different metallic inks (three I think?), special numbered seals, gilding and so on, he's paying through the nose himself.

I'm in for a few just as with the Scarletts. And I tend to stick to my "no deck for more than $10" rule pretty strictly. That's how much I enjoy these decks.

If i had the "no deck for more than $10" rule for KS projects, I probably won't be buying anything anymore. I do have a "don't buy decks that look ugly" rule though...and with more recent times, "don't buy minimalist decks that takes 15 minutes to complete" rule :P

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 12:57:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I came very close to not backing when I saw that price tag.  In the end, I chose two Limiteds and two Displays.  $20 a pack for the limited is HIGH.  Yes, he's only making 700 of those, but in all variations, there will probably be about 2,000 decks made and every single box contains the exact same cards.
Here's a couple more ways to look at these decks. First, somehow Jackson got USPCC to make gild a fairly small number of decks, and is probably paying a lot for those, and reselling them for a reasonable amount. At least compared to Uusi's gilded decks.

Second, the limited deck is $20 because of the tuck, not the cards. Honestly, the Scarlett has the most gorgeous tuck I've seen, and I'm sure it cost a bunch.

Third, backing for either the gilded or limited decks is the ticket that lets you buy a lot of display decks at $7 a pop, or $70 for a brick, which is very, very reasonable.

I think this is a great formula for both collectors and folks who actually want to play with the decks, and I hope there's more Tally Ho campaigns coming sometime down the road.

/bama

Is USPC doing his gilding?  Or is he having a third party do it?  Last I heard, USPC used paint for gilding, not leaf.

I like more Tally Ho out there - but I'm missing the more traditional faces as well as some of the classic back designs.  Most people don't even realize the numerous different TH backs that were made over the years - they see Circle Back and Fan Back and think that's the end of it.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 01:18:43 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I like more Tally Ho out there - but I'm missing the more traditional faces as well as some of the classic back designs.  Most people don't even realize the numerous different TH backs that were made over the years - they see Circle Back and Fan Back and think that's the end of it.

To my knowledge, I only know (Apart from the different colour TH and Titanium TH)
1. Viper TH
2. Split Spades TH
3. KW TH
4. Scarlett
5. Emerald
6. British Monarchy TH
7. Spectrum TH

What else do I miss?
Back for more

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 01:28:18 AM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Is USPC doing his gilding?  Or is he having a third party do it?  Last I heard, USPC used paint for gilding, not leaf.

Jackson, from the Scarlett thread on PCF:
"USPCC did all of the gilding for this deck, UUSI does every single one of there decks by hand and also with 24 Karat Gold. Not that USPCC did a poor job on the Scarletts, but the quality bar is always much higher with handwork and also top shelf materials... and also price. If I gilded my cards by hand and with 24 Karat Gold I would also charge UUSI prices for gilded decks...

FYI I will have hand gilded decks with 24 Gold leaf for Legal Tendar ;)"
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:28:56 AM by bamabenz »

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 05:01:19 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
If i had the "no deck for more than $10" rule for KS projects, I probably won't be buying anything anymore. I do have a "don't buy decks that look ugly" rule though...and with more recent times, "don't buy minimalist decks that takes 15 minutes to complete" rule :P

Oh, I have the "don't buy ugly decks" rule as well, which saves me from the majority of decks these days. Oh snap, I went there. ;D
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 06:13:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

"USPCC did all of the gilding for this deck, UUSI does every single one of there decks by hand and also with 24 Karat Gold. Not that USPCC did a poor job on the Scarletts, but the quality bar is always much higher with handwork and also top shelf materials... and also price. If I gilded my cards by hand and with 24 Karat Gold I would also charge UUSI prices for gilded decks...

USPC hand-gilds ALL of their decks - there is no machine for the process.  The difference I was pointing out was that USPC uses painted gold while Uusi uses gold leaf, and it wasn't clear to me which of the two processes were being used here.  I know now that since USPC did it, it was probably painted, and that for his next deck, he'll be using the gold leaf process.

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 01:27:11 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

USPC hand-gilds ALL of their decks - there is no machine for the process.  The difference I was pointing out was that USPC uses painted gold while Uusi uses gold leaf, and it wasn't clear to me which of the two processes were being used here.  I know now that since USPC did it, it was probably painted, and that for his next deck, he'll be using the gold leaf process.

USPCC does not paint on the gilding. It is the same process that UUSI uses just with a heat roller machine. Decks are sanded, sizing is applied to the cards the the foil / leaf is laid on the cards the they are pressed or heat pressed in the case of USPCC. The only real difference between UUSI's process and USPCC is the heat roller machine and the fact that UUSI uses 23 Karat gold and not just faux gold / silver foil.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:27:58 PM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 03:19:49 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
USPCC does not paint on the gilding. It is the same process that UUSI uses just with a heat roller machine. Decks are sanded, sizing is applied to the cards the the foil / leaf is laid on the cards the they are pressed or heat pressed in the case of USPCC. The only real difference between UUSI's process and USPCC is the heat roller machine and the fact that UUSI uses 23 Karat gold and not just faux gold / silver foil.

I suspect little things likely make up quite a bit of difference; things like levels of quality of leafing and differences in the sizing used that Uusi probably doesn't make any allowences on where a large company like USPCC I imagine buys in bulk and buys more based on cost effectiveness and less for quality of materials to a point. And Uusi really sells the particular method they use for application which I think adds some character if only conceptually.

There is a noticable difference between the two mostly in handling, but both are absolutely gorgeous in their gilding.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 06:57:20 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I suspect little things likely make up quite a bit of difference; things like levels of quality of leafing and differences in the sizing used that Uusi probably doesn't make any allowences on where a large company like USPCC I imagine buys in bulk and buys more based on cost effectiveness and less for quality of materials to a point. And Uusi really sells the particular method they use for application which I think adds some character if only conceptually.

There is a noticable difference between the two mostly in handling, but both are absolutely gorgeous in their gilding.

You are absolutely right. I was only comparing the process and not so much the quality. I assure you that the quality of materials UUSI uses for gilding their decks is on a whole different level the what USPCC uses to gild my decks. That is easily seen in the quantity and also price difference. I'm currently working solidify my own process of producing hand gilded decks that use 24 Karat and Sterling silver leaf much like UUSI.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 07:25:09 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I'm currently working solidify my own process of producing hand gilded decks that use 24 Karat and Sterling silver leaf much like UUSI.

This. I have no doubts, especially after getting one of your Scarlett Legacy wooden slips, that your hand gilded decks will be uncompromising in quality.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 09:54:44 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

To my knowledge, I only know (Apart from the different colour TH and Titanium TH)
1. Viper TH
2. Split Spades TH
3. KW TH
4. Scarlett
5. Emerald
6. British Monarchy TH
7. Spectrum TH

What else do I miss?

I have 42 different unique Tally Ho decks and I am sure i do not have them all

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 10:16:56 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

1. Viper TH
2. Split Spades TH
3. KW TH
4. Scarlett
5. Emerald
6. British Monarchy TH
7. Spectrum TH

What else do I miss?

I have 42 different unique Tally Ho decks and I am sure i do not have them all

Could you list them? I don't even have that much, if we are not counting colour variations.
Apart from those listed, I know Aloy's Studio have the 2 sets of 7 coloured Tally Ho.....and not much else  :(

Re: Emerald Tally Ho Playing Cards by Jackson Robinson (KS)
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2015, 10:37:45 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
I was obviously counting the different colors as different decks even though they might be all circle or fan back

- Viper 2 different backs
- Split Spades 3 different colors
- KW TH
- Scarlett
- Emerald
- British Monarchy
- Spectrum
- Tally Ho Gaff Deck
- Tally Ho Blue Circle and Fan backs ( Kentucky printed)
- Tally Ho Blue Circle and Fan backs (Ohio Printed) these have a blue USPCC seal instead of the usual black one
- Tally Ho Red Circle and Fan backs ( Kentucky printed)
- Tally Ho Red Circle and Fan backs (Ohio Printed) these have a blue USPCC seal instead of the usual black one
- Tally Ho Black Circle and Fan backs ( Kentucky printed)
- Tally Ho Black Circle and Fan backs (Ohio Printed) these have a blue USPCC seal instead of the usual black one
- Aloys reversed Circle and Fan backs  12 decks total
- Tally Ho Titanium Blue Theory 11
- tally Ho Titanium red Theory 11
- Tally Ho Circle and Fan back orange  made first for Asian market
- Tally Ho Circle backs Pink
- Tally Ho Circle Backs Silver
- Tally Ho Green Mr maeda  (rare)
- Tally Ho red gold Mr maeda (rare)
- Tally Ho blue gold Mr maeda (rare)

Probably forgetting one or two. here's a pic of my TH stash

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 02:28:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

1. Viper TH
2. Split Spades TH
3. KW TH
4. Scarlett
5. Emerald
6. British Monarchy TH
7. Spectrum TH

What else do I miss?

I was obviously counting the different colors as different decks even though they might be all circle or fan back

- Viper 2 different backs
- Split Spades 3 different colors
- KW TH
- Scarlett
- Emerald
- British Monarchy
- Spectrum
- Tally Ho Gaff Deck
- Tally Ho Blue Circle and Fan backs ( Kentucky printed)
- Tally Ho Blue Circle and Fan backs (Ohio Printed) these have a blue USPCC seal instead of the usual black one
- Tally Ho Red Circle and Fan backs ( Kentucky printed)
- Tally Ho Red Circle and Fan backs (Ohio Printed) these have a blue USPCC seal instead of the usual black one
- Tally Ho Black Circle and Fan backs ( Kentucky printed)
- Tally Ho Black Circle and Fan backs (Ohio Printed) these have a blue USPCC seal instead of the usual black one
- Aloys reversed Circle and Fan backs  12 decks total
- Tally Ho Titanium Blue Theory 11
- tally Ho Titanium red Theory 11
- Tally Ho Circle and Fan back orange  made first for Asian market
- Tally Ho Circle backs Pink
- Tally Ho Circle Backs Silver
- Tally Ho Green Mr maeda  (rare)
- Tally Ho red gold Mr maeda (rare)
- Tally Ho blue gold Mr maeda (rare)

Probably forgetting one or two. here's a pic of my TH stash

The green Tomohiro Maeda deck is called Tally Ho Platinum, for the silver border around the back design.

Of the Tally Ho Gold, there were non-Maeda and Maeda versions of each, as well as a baby-blue Maeda-only deck that's more rare than the other two - or at the least is more costly.  The problem with the Tally Ho Gold in red and blue, however, is that unless you're a meticulous sorter, you can't tell the non-Maeda and Maeda decks apart - everything on the tuck box, right down to the bar code, is identical between the two editions.  I recall someone telling me that the baby blue one is the more expensive of the three because of the fact that it's immediately identifiable as a Maeda deck and wasn't part of the "standard" release of Tally Ho Gold decks!

Maeda also made a mini Tally Ho deck in blue, and I've heard that it's available in red as well.

When I referred to different backs, I wasn't even considering any of these, which are really just Circle Backs and Fan Backs in minor variations.  There have been other backs over the years.  The best-known example of this was recently printed as a Bicycle deck - the Dragon Back design.  The ad copy for it, when it was initially released, was that it was some 100-year-old design lost in USPC's archives, thought to be a previously-unknown Bicycle back that might never have been released.  The truth of it is that it was a Tally Ho back - the originals were done in a monochrome style, which looks infinitely better than the multicolor mess they made for the Bicycle decks because of the higher degree of visible detail work in the art itself.  Now there's also a fourth and fifth color scheme for this design as a Bicycle-branded deck, courtesy of CollectablePlayingCards.com.  I seem to recall another back that had the US flag on it - which if I'm not mistaken was printed in a recent issue of CARD CULTURE Magazine in an article on Andrew Dougherty, the original printer of the brand.  I know that we have a topic in here somewhere that has a photo of the original Dragon Back - a single Tally Ho card was being offered as a "single swap" card on eBay at the time in that design.

Somewhere in my photo collection, I have pictures of some classic TH card backs that I snapped when I met the Dawsons for the first time at their home in Toronto.  Tom took Lee Asher and me down into the basement to look over his archives, among which was a salesman's sample book for Tally Ho brand playing cards.  I could be mistaken, but I think that book may have been sold to Bill Kalush - I know he bought a few sample books from Tom in the recent past.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:30:37 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
May 06, 2015, 05:34:07 PM ยป

2 more H1 and 3 more K1 slots opening up at 1800 Central. This will be your chance to get some of the Legacy editions of you missed th first run of tiers

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:34:40 AM by Justin O. »

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2015, 08:21:36 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
2 more H1 and 3 more K1 slots opening up at 1800 Central. This will be your chance to get some of the Legacy editions of you missed th first run of tiers

And it was gone within 3 seconds... I missed that again...
Back for more

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2015, 07:13:12 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

It's not today? Seriously put a date in the update....Spare some thoughts for international customers receiving the email at 4am in the morning and not knowing which day is "later in the day"  :(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:14:47 PM by PurpleIce »

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2015, 09:51:31 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I was quite surprised too when I received it. I didn't know what date, so I convert the time and keep an eye on it anyway.
And when it was launched, I couldn't even select the tier and then I refreshed it just to find that its already sold out.
I think it was less than 3 seconds.  :(

It's not today? Seriously put a date in the update....Spare some thoughts for international customers receiving the email at 4am in the morning and not knowing which day is "later in the day"  :(
Back for more

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2015, 11:35:18 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Oh geez!! I'm sorry guys!!!  :mindf-ck:

Added the date above
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:35:45 AM by Justin O. »

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2015, 04:12:41 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Oh geez!! I'm sorry guys!!!  :mindf-ck:

Added the date above

I don't think it was your fault, even the update from JR wasn't very clear.
Back for more

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2015, 05:02:40 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Just got my survey for Emerald and am really pleased to see a place to include my deck numbers from the Scarlett project which KW will try to match with my Emerald decks. I think this is a really great touch!

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2015, 12:01:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Just got my survey for Emerald and am really pleased to see a place to include my deck numbers from the Scarlett project which KW will try to match with my Emerald decks. I think this is a really great touch!

That is nice - I hope he's not doing that for every one of his prior backers, though.  Not that it's a bad thing - it would simply be a severe test of one's sanity!

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2015, 12:24:32 AM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

That is nice - I hope he's not doing that for every one of his prior backers, though.  Not that it's a bad thing - it would simply be a severe test of one's sanity!
If you pledge and received a Scarlett Tally Ho Legacy Edition from the last Kickstarter you may request to receive the same numbered deck for the Emerald Tally Ho Legacy Edition.

So its just for the 50 Legacy boxed decks.

/bama

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2015, 03:58:39 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
"Silver Edition Shortage

In an attempted to keep the number of "actually" produced Silver Edition decks to a minimum and not have a huge number of overruns, I kept the production number pretty close to the 10% over under that USPCC requires. Unfortunately now that I have had a chance to fullfill all the orders, throw out all the damaged decks, I am short about 28 Silver Editions. If you are in that last group of 12 orders you are there because you order Silver Editions and I do not have enough remaining Silver Edition to send to you. It really sucks and I am very sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused. So what does that mean for you now.

If you are in that group of 12 backers who ordered Silver editions I will either replace each Silver Edition with 2 Limited Editions or 4 White Standard Editions or give you a 100% refund for the Silver Editions you pledged for.

If you are in that group you will be receiving an email directly from me within the next hour repeating the above info and also asking you what you would like to do.

Thanks you so much for your support and I apologize for this mix up."

Check your emails people, I hope no one on here was unfortunate enough to be one of the above 12, it looks like Jackson is really working to make up for the shortage though. Sucky position for him to find himself in and I imagine a fear for any project creator.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 04:00:26 PM by Justin O. »

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2015, 06:52:05 PM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Man, that is a bummer for those 12 backers!   :(. Also a tough spot to be in for Jackson...hope all works out in the end.