by Dave Edgerly

Deck Features:
* Manufactured by Expert Playing Card Company
* Gold Foil on Tuck Case
* Gold Metallic ink on cards
* Master Finish
* 54 Card Deck

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:56:35 AM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: Mardi Gras Playing Cards - Now on KS
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 06:51:57 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Very colourful!

I kind of like this deck... I'll definitely get myself a few of these :D
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 06:59:09 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I got in for an EB 1 deck, I love the back design but am not a fan of the side opening tuck. It's difficult to justify backing a project for only 1 deck as the international shipping costs work against small orders. Normally end up paying $20 for a single deck or around $30-33 for 2.
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 08:01:21 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I was lucky enough to snatch up an EB on this one myself. Two decks, I'm likely to boost my pledge though as the colors and the deck grow on me. I think it's a great solo deck by Dave Edgerly. He's really done a wonderful job on the card back and the courts really do have a feel that says to me, Mardi Gras.

I'm sure people are probably saying it all over of the place they have at UC and I tend to agree that the indices are a little close to the bead border, for me most noticeable on the number cards. Pushed out just a touch would be great. The bead border there is really fantastic on these. I think it adds a lot. Good things, good things.

Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 12:06:24 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Looked great until I saw the number cards - THREE SUIT COLORS??  Oy...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:12:40 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Looked great until I saw the number cards - THREE SUIT COLORS??  Oy...

I agree Don, the three color choice is even worse than having a single color, it took me a good couple seconds to sort out the suits and figure out what was going on. This deck would be much too much trouble to use for playing games with, but it is attractive elsewise. I suspect we might see backer coersion to get that changed and I would likely back for a deck or two if the suit color issue got sorted.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 09:43:51 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I suspect we might see backer coersion to get that changed and I would likely back for a deck or two if the suit color issue got sorted.

Right you are Justin. Looks like he's making the change in update one. I prefer two color myself, but I wasn't going to let that stop me supporting Dave's first solo project. Glad he's making the change.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 10:41:25 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
I'm sure people are probably saying it all over of the place they have at UC and I tend to agree that the indices are a little close to the bead border, for me most noticeable on the number cards. Pushed out just a touch would be great. The bead border there is really fantastic on these. I think it adds a lot. Good things, good things.

Nice suggestion.  I'm pretty sure he is going to play it safe and change it to 2 suit colors.  Now, Don can play solitaire again...

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 11:05:58 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
The indices are re-positioned in the updated image as well Sprouts. Has a smoother look to them, I think the changes are quite nice.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 03:09:14 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Nice suggestion.  I'm pretty sure he is going to play it safe and change it to 2 suit colors.  Now, Don can play solitaire again...

For such a colourful deck, i was hoping he could pull a 4-colour suit actually. But ultimately, 3 is really neither here nor there, and glad he made changes to it.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 05:13:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

For such a colourful deck, i was hoping he could pull a 4-colour suit actually. But ultimately, 3 is really neither here nor there, and glad he made changes to it.

I just never cottoned to using four-color or "no-revoke" decks.  As I see it, the suits themselves are your "four groupings of thirteen" and extra colors only takes away the "two groupings of 26" that many solitaire and other games require.

If someone insists on having four colors, I usually recommend two colors and two shadings - for example, instead of red and black, one could use red, pink, black and gray.  They're easily distinguished while at the same time close enough to their "partner" suit that would normally share the same color that you can pull off a game requiring two colors without too much hassle.

Having said all that, I really like these now!

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 06:42:40 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
These just got funded...i don't see any stretch goals but there's still lots of time left.

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 11:00:11 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
These just got funded...i don't see any stretch goals but there's still lots of time left.

There is something in the works for a stretch goal. This is Dave Edgerly we're talking about here haha. ;)

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 03:22:02 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
custom seal stretch goal at 10k, and possibly a dark deck set at 15k

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 04:43:15 PM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 05:51:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Good read!  You've been putting out a few good articles - several in fact, over a short time.  You're the only writer?  If so, that's some accomplishment.

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 06:28:09 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Yes it's all me at the moment. I spent quite a lot of time in the run up to publishing these figuring out the discussion topics. I have a fairly specific focus on the site that ties back to my architectural background and I am not in any way trying to replicate the likes of here, UC and Kardify as they all do a fantastic job of keeping us up to date with all the latest news. I have a few more things in the pipeline as well, I want to talk to more collectors in the coming months and gather some of their stories as well. It's just taking me a lot of effort juggling this with a full time job and a part time degree at the moment, there have been a few late nights!

Thanks for the positive feedback and kind words.  :) I'm really glad someone finds what I'm doing interesting.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:29:13 AM by Magasaki »

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 06:33:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yes it's all me at the moment. I spent quite a lot of time in the run up to publishing these figuring out the discussion topics. I have a fairly specific focus on the site that ties back to my architectural background and I am not in any way trying to replicate the likes of here, UC and Kardify as they all do a fantastic job of keeping us up to date with all the latest news. I have a few more things in the pipeline as well, I want to talk to more collectors in the coming months and gather some of their stories as well. It's just taking me a lot of effort juggling this with a full time job and a part time degree at the moment, there have been a few late nights!

Thanks for the positive feedback and kind words.  :) I'm really glad someone finds what I'm doing interesting.

Your level of output is rather impressive considering you're a one-man show!  And it's not all fluff-and-games, either.  Keep up the good work.

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 06:35:36 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Thanks! I'd love to have some guest written articles too at some point but for now I just need to keep adding to what's there.

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 07:20:18 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
...It's just taking me a lot of effort juggling this with a full time job and a part time degree at the moment, there have been a few late nights!

And will be sleepless ones in case of further development of the site :) Nice articles.

Several modest words about the deck:
http://playingcardcollector.net/2015/02/16/mardi-gras-playing-cards-by-dave-edgerly/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net