Show Me Your BEST OF THE BEST!

Author (Read 13524 times)

Show Me Your BEST OF THE BEST!
« on: February 22, 2014, 03:45:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My question is directed specifically at people whose collections are now either exclusively or nearly-so made up of modern decks of cards not more than 20 years old.

Let's pretend that you were planning to meet up for lunch with a person who's a vintage deck collector.  This man or woman has heard a little about the new modern custom decks like the ones you collect, but hasn't seen many examples of them and certainly hasn't seen the "creme de la creme".

You've been tasked with bringing a small sampling of decks with you - the mission being to show this collector the best that modern custom deck design has to offer.  They need not be full-custom down to the last drop of ink, but we're talking about decks you won't find on the shelf at a chain pharmacy or the dollar store.  The emphasis is more on design, though if you can point out custom decks that have noteworthy handling, that's fine as well.  Remember, many vintage collectors don't buy based on handling, as modern card coatings and stocks are more likely to be a world apart from a deck that's probably older than you are if not twice as old - it's among the criteria your lunch guest will find less important.  (And Jerry's Nuggets are VINTAGE already, so no, J-Nuggs fanboys, you can't include them!)  Cool boxes would be something that might catch your collector-friend's eye - the more beautiful, the better.

What are some of the decks you would bring to this meeting?  Please - include IMAGES!  Your images can be scans of your deck, photographs of your deck or, as a last resort, good-quality pictures of it found on the web.  Remember, you really want to impress this person, perhaps even "turn him or her to the Dark Side" and get him interested in collecting modern custom decks!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Show Me Your BEST OF THE BEST!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 07:18:55 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
It's funny how questions like these feel like your asking the same top 10 question but its actually a different answer.

I would probably show them decks that I can easily obtain (replaceable) and that are interesting enough to grab ones attention.

Artisans - theory11
Virtuoso S/S 14 - TheVirts
Black JAQKs - theory11
Royal Optik - Uusi
Madison Dealers - Ellusionist

No images needed.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:44:30 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

2. Signature Gold Exquisite of Handlordz for the style
3. Seasons Playing Cards set for Best tuck boxes
4. Bicycle Platinum for cool custom pips
5. Dealers for nice court cards
6. Ogma for hypnotize him/her  ???
7. Virtuoso for best quality
8. Phoenix's Apocalypse 2012 deck - welcome to internet, one QRcode for 13 difference cards revealed 
maybe Blades Blood Metal too, but i dont think it could impressed much
 edited for img
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:19:06 PM by crazyfandecks »

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Don't want to speak for Don, but I'm guessing he asked for pictures as members from the 52+J club and modern collectors as well may have likely never seen the decks. Heck, I collect modern decks and have not seen the Ogma deck mentioned. It'd just stick to the topic better I think if pictures were included.

I'm still mulling this question over, and trying to create my list. With 2 small kids at home, getting the pics is not as quick as it once was, but I'm hoping to sooner rather than later. I'm also not typically a favorites kind of guy, let alone a favorites list kind of guy, so that will definitely make for a longer thinking time. I am aiming to get the list with pics complied sooner rather than later.

Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 01:52:01 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
Sorry for no pics.

I would show a prospective modern collector the following three decks:

Split Spades, Jaqk decks, and the Virtuoso deck.

All three have great, unique designed Card Boxes if you wanted to display them. They'd stand out even amongst the flashiest boxes. Also, all three have more than one color so you can collect your favorite color or collect them all and place them side to side. The split spade back is my favorite back design of all time. The Jaqks have my favorite court designs (although they do repeat). The virtuoso deck just oozes style, in its back design and its box and I love the court redesigns. All three decks handle amazingly.

If i could say one thing about these decks as a whole, I'd say they are not gimmicky, rather, their designs, though modern, are timeless.

(Despite such a strong statement I will admit I don't like the Jaqk back design or some of the ugly faces on Split Spade courts. Hey, no deck is perfect!)

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I'll show them the following decks because of the time spent on the detail put into the decks.
Also show them the artifice deck as it was the first custom deck that drew me into the world of playing cards, to this day it's still my go to deck (with the exception of bikes and the aristocrats 727 reprints)

DON'S EDIT: Nurul neglected to name them!  The decks are shown below, in order.  All are out of print.  Some are expensive in the aftermarket, but some are still quite affordable on most budgets.

Artifice, cobalt (version 1 [borderless]) by Ellusionist
Currently available in cobalt v.2/emerald (bordered), purple (borderless), "Tundra" (inverse black with all-black pips excluding indices).

Bohemia, available in red and blue by Uusi

Federal 52 (the first in the series) by Jackson Robinson

Empire by Lee McKenzie

Aurum (all three tuck box editions) by Paul Carpenter/Encarded
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:57:29 PM by Don Boyer »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 02:55:42 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
This is a great topic [thanks Don]. Six months ago I didn't own more than three or four modern decks [gifts]. Just counted my little hoard - 26 different decks, many of which I paid cash for! I may have to reply later with the ones I'd advise my fellow 52+J members to get!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 05:03:43 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
 I think the purpose is to start a conversation  between us newbies and the old school collectors.

The modern  gimmicks of " Limited edition" "not intended for sale" "the [insert color here] are only sold to our elite superstore vip gold plutonium members" must boggle the mind of most vintage collectors and perhaps push them away from this relatively new "cardistry" trend. Collectables are generally of high value because they were not put out as collectables. They are rare cause noone took care of them or collected them not because a company decided to make it so.

With that said.. Something drew us, both old and new to card collecting. Playing cards due to the form and function are a awesome playground for Graphic artists. Color, shape, position etc.. All add together to create a sum greater than the parts . In other words Graphic art is about Feng shu.

I think a discussion centered around the "what" and "why" we like with examples is an awesome idea. I shall return with my favs.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 10:08:56 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Great thread Don, I went with decks I have in my collection........I hope I didn't go overboard, lol

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 12:01:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's funny how questions like these feel like your asking the same top 10 question but its actually a different answer.

I would probably show them decks that I can easily obtain (replaceable) and that are interesting enough to grab ones attention.

Artisans - theory11
Virtuoso S/S 14 - TheVirts
Black JAQKs - theory11
Royal Optik - Uusi
Madison Dealers - Ellusionist

No images needed.

Perhaps to you no image is needed - but what about the guy who's never seen or even heard of those decks?

Crazyfandecks seems to have the right idea - show off the features that make these decks so beautiful.  Don't assume your audience has seen them before.  Feel free to space out the postings - because you want to add more gorgeous photos!

If someone else has named a deck you wanted to show, show it from a new angle, a new perspective - and remember to show the CARDS, not just the boxes!  And faces, not just backs! 
Don't want to speak for Don, but I'm guessing he asked for pictures as members from the 52+J club and modern collectors as well may have likely never seen the decks. Heck, I collect modern decks and have not seen the Ogma deck mentioned. It'd just stick to the topic better I think if pictures were included.

I'm still mulling this question over, and trying to create my list. With 2 small kids at home, getting the pics is not as quick as it once was, but I'm hoping to sooner rather than later. I'm also not typically a favorites kind of guy, let alone a favorites list kind of guy, so that will definitely make for a longer thinking time. I am aiming to get the list with pics complied sooner rather than later.

You did hit the nail on the head in terms of what I'm looking for.

It doesn't need to be a massive list and it doesn't need to be just one posting.  Pick one deck you think might impress the heck out of a vintage collector who's never seen it before.  Take a photo or two - or if ttime doesn't permit, find a photo or two on the web that look good - and add them to the post.  Voila.  You find another deck, toss that one on as well.  Lather, rinse, repeat!

This is a great topic [thanks Don]. Six months ago I didn't own more than three or four modern decks [gifts]. Just counted my little hoard - 26 different decks, many of which I paid cash for! I may have to reply later with the ones I'd advise my fellow 52+J members to get!

By all means, please do!  I thought this might kickstart those members of 52+J who've only so far seen the decks you've presented in Clear the Decks and are unaware of the rich tapestry of decks that are available.

I think the purpose is to start a conversation  between us newbies and the old school collectors.

The modern  gimmicks of " Limited edition" "not intended for sale" "the [insert color here] are only sold to our elite superstore vip gold plutonium members" must boggle the mind of most vintage collectors and perhaps push them away from this relatively new "cardistry" trend. Collectables are generally of high value because they were not put out as collectables. They are rare cause noone took care of them or collected them not because a company decided to make it so.

With that said.. Something drew us, both old and new to card collecting. Playing cards due to the form and function are a awesome playground for Graphic artists. Color, shape, position etc.. All add together to create a sum greater than the parts . In other words Graphic art is about Feng shu.

I think a discussion centered around the "what" and "why" we like with examples is an awesome idea. I shall return with my favs.

I'm certain they have similar, bewildering issues to deal with in terms of what makes the hobby more challenging than it needs to be and how some retailers try to trump up the value of their wares.  We've had many a discussion on these boards about the nature of collecting ephemera and the ways in which artificially-created rarity affects the hobby.

Looking forward to those photos, bro!

Great thread Don, I went with decks I have in my collection........I hope I didn't go overboard, lol

Not hardly - but try focusing on a few decks.  Show lovingly-taken, detailed close-ups, show the actual cards in the box.  Remember, often it's often only the lucky vintage collector that finds the cards in the box, so they're used to making evaluations based on the cards themselves (not to mention that card boxes were a lot simpler the older a deck is).

This is the equivalent of a "Fashion Week" for playing cards!  Make the people unaware of these decks envious and interested!  Have FUN with it - it's less about the lists, more about the CARDS.  Ever see a report on a fashion shoot that didn't include a single photo?  There's a reason for that...  :))
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 12:06:34 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 01:24:56 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
My 5 is a true sampling of the custom market right now.

I was  faced with a decision earlier tonight.  I was going to meet a magician I really respect, but I didn't know his card preferences.  Just in case he might have asked me to show him what I was working on, I had to pick a deck to bring.  If they were open I probably would have gone with the Black Reserve Notes.  I was going to bring my Exquisites, but I knew he would catch their sneaky sneaky tricks. 

I ended up bringing the White Ghosts.  Classic and elegant backs, sweet color scheme for the pips, modern but not too overwhelming.

So if I'm bringing 5 decks, I say the White Ghosts, Exquisites, Black Reserve Note Feds, Brown Wynns, S&M v5
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 03:32:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
My 5 is a true sampling of the custom market right now.

I was  faced with a decision earlier tonight.  I was going to meet a magician I really respect, but I didn't know his card preferences.  Just in case he might have asked me to show him what I was working on, I had to pick a deck to bring.  If they were open I probably would have gone with the Black Reserve Notes.  I was going to bring my Exquisites, but I knew he would catch their sneaky sneaky tricks. 

I ended up bringing the White Ghosts.  Classic and elegant backs, sweet color scheme for the pips, modern but not too overwhelming.

So if I'm bringing 5 decks, I say the White Ghosts, Exquisites, Black Reserve Note Feds, Brown Wynns, S&M v5

Did you know that all of the early Ellusionist Bicycle decks have subtle one-way markings?  :))  Much more subtle than the Exquisites!

Show us pictures!  I can see you having lunch with that fictional collector I mentioned when I started this topic, naming and describing the cards rather than actually showing them!  You'd bore the poor person to tears...  :))

Let me be more blunt - I'd like any vintage collector who just joined the forum to be able to look at this topic and be VISUALLY WOWED at the options presented to him or her.  A few paragraphs of info is nice, but has zero visual impact - you might as well be reading them the patient warnings from an ad for a prescription drug...

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 07:23:38 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Ok, I got ya, let's try this then.............

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 07:27:44 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Continued...

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 12:44:28 AM »

Daniel Wilson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I'll give this a start tonight, and add to it when I have some more time.

One of my personal favorite decks, Bohemia, has already been mentioned and shown, so instead I'll show off the JAQKs that nobody's posted pictures of yet.  JAQKs first appeared with blue backs, then red, and most recently black.

The face cards repeat through the suits, but they have a very whimsical quality to them.
Each one holds some sort of wine, presumably from the JAQK Cellars that the cards advertise.

The picture below shows the original first edition one-way blue back, the only one in that style.
Theory11 later reprinted the three different deck colors in two-way back versions.

Borrowed from graphic-exchange.com:
http://www.graphic-exchange.com/images/02identity/jaqk2/JAQK_PLAYINGCARDS_CARDS.jpg
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:51:05 AM by Daniel Wilson »

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 11:54:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Does no one else have a BEST OF THE BEST to show off?

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 01:02:34 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
My best is this one. Only five of these exist.

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 01:16:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You know what that is.  I know what that is.  But what about the new guy who DOESN'T know what that is?  :))

OK, I'll tell 'em.  It's a deck of Monarch playing cards made by Theory11, in the original color - but it's autographed by the cast of the magic-oriented movie "Now You See Me".  Would you list the autographs on it, please?

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 08:33:04 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The signatures belongs to,

Jesse Eisenberg
Mark Ruffalo
Woody Harrelson
Isla Fisher
Dave Franco

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 11:53:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The signatures belongs to,

Jesse Eisenberg
Mark Ruffalo
Woody Harrelson
Isla Fisher
Dave Franco

You lucky beggar.  I had no idea the signature decks existed until they were already gone...

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 12:29:48 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Oooooh, quite the score, very jealous  :-[

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey, gang - I posted about this topic in A Cellar of Fine Vintages.  I'm trying to get some of the old-school vintage crowd interested in decks that are less than a generation old.  I want to see luscious, stunningly-beautiful photos!  Show me your goods!  The coolest decks imaginable, and if you're showing something already shown, please pick a different perspective or show elements not already shown.

I want posts that will make people drool with desire!  :))
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:57:37 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 08:49:41 AM »

HeartQ

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Love this topic because I am a favorites-kind-of person. However I don't know any of these decks as my love is antiques but if I did my favorite would need to include

1. Colorful and clever redesigned standard court cards
2. A fantastic Ace of Spades
3. A specially designed tuckcase - I love packaging and I have seen several great ones on the few new decks I have seen.
4. And lastly, top quality stock

If any of these meet my criteria please let me know and I'll be there to write it up in the club newsletter "Clear the Decks" www.52plusjoker.org
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:52:45 AM by HeartQ »
Judy Dawson

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 09:06:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Love this topic because I am a favorites-kind-of person. However I don't know any of these decks as my love is antiques but if I did my favorite would need to include

1. Colorful and clever redesigned standard court cards
2. A fantastic Ace of Spades
3. A specially designed tuckcase - I love packaging and I have seen several great ones on the few new decks I have seen.
4. And lastly, top quality stock

If any of these meet my criteria please let me know and I'll be there to write it up in the club newsletter "Clear the Decks" www.52plusjoker.org

Try this on for size: http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/ornate-playing-cards-white-edition-(ks)/msg93793/#msg93793

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 09:43:48 AM »

HeartQ

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Very nice but too much going on - love a pure white background.  Keep posting!
Judy Dawson