• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:50:52 PM by badpete69 »

Re: A French Revolution Playing Card Deck now live on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 06:04:41 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I really like this.  :) 

At first glance it reminded me of the pedale decks (probably just the color scheme,  though :P)

Pledged for an EB.  I hope this gets funded!  :D

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 09:50:29 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Backed for 9 decks too.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Nice decks! The big box it's also very interesting. I was thinking that is a European project, hehe :) Good luck!
"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 09:59:30 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
Gonna quote a french poster on UC (Oswin):

So I am shocked to see this game The guy has not even done any research on our flag. The white symbolizes the monarchy, then see the King Louis XVI crowned with a red back, however, a mistake.
Red usually symbolizes the bloodshed, then why did the sash white back ....

In short, this deck is not for me ... I go my way.

(Google translator sorry)

He sent an email to the creator about this, to which he replied:

Hey Oswin,

Thanks for feedback. I figured I would probably mess something up historically. It was originally supposed to be two decks. Just red and blue. The white came in as a third extra deck as a way to tie in the two decks. Unfortunately, I think it would be weird to switch the colors right now, so I'll probably keep it the way it is.

Sorry if it offends you ;_;

And my own reaction to this:

You know, I probably would have pledged for these if I hadn't found out about the points Oswin made. It would be a much better collection piece if you could actually say stuff like "...and since the red in the french flag represents the bloodshed...". And I was late for the triple EB as well.

There's also the fact that to see the differences in the courts and how they fit together you have to take out and look at all 3 decks at once. Each deck by itself isn't really that interesting, and the back designs are kinda boring.

And "it would be weird to change the colors now" isn't really a good reason. Sounds like the creator just thinks it fits better in his own head, and would rather have it that way than historically correct. Doesn't give me a good vibe.

Pass.
- Tom

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 01:08:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

And "it would be weird to change the colors now" isn't really a good reason. Sounds like the creator just thinks it fits better in his own head, and would rather have it that way than historically correct. Doesn't give me a good vibe.

Pass.

Clearly it's a designer who thinks that it's his way or the highway.  They're usually doomed to failure.

I'm surprised he didn't name the decks "Liberty, Equality and Fraternity" - in French it's "Liberté, égalité, fraternité".  It's the French national motto since the Revolution.  In fact, for a while post-Revolt, French court cards were removed from the deck and replaced with the ranks, from highest to lowest, of Liberty, Equality and Fraternity.  It's also when the Ace was created - up until that time, the Ace was a lowly 1 card; afterwards, it became the highest ranked card, representative of the ordinary citizen being the most important rather than any member of the royalty.

Another surprising element the deck lacks is Marianne.  She's a created character made to represent France as its national emblem and is an allegory for Liberty and Reason.  She's even on the French Government's logo, seen below.

Simply put, there's so much more that could have been done here, but the designer's research was lazy and incomplete.  Add that he's not willing to consider changes, using the weakest excuse possible, and it makes it much easier to pass on such a deck.  What he really said when he said "it would be weird to change the colors now" is "I don't feel like it, so tough luck."
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 02:37:11 AM »

CrankUP

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
Me gusta!!!

Very clean and sleek.

Just got back home after cruising during the holidays so I am BROKE. Or else I'd back as well.
Broke for cards

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 04:28:19 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
So how do you feel about his QoD in his Regime deck?  Is it a marked card?  I also noticed his KoD & QoS in the Regime deck are real close to the cut boarder.  In the Revolution Deck the QoD is the same way.  Just a hair to close. The USPCC might advise him.  There is still time to make this a good deck...

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 03:20:44 PM »

enteng

• Newcomer
Hey guys. Designer of the deck here O_O

I was told to come on over here by a few people on Kickstarter.

@MagikFingerz
I may have made my response a little too casually. It's not that I don't want it to be historically accurate, but more I didn't want to change something right away on the first day of the project. Some have messaged on Kickstarter saying they didn't want the colors switched, so I'm a little torn on what to do about that.

There was a suggestion to look into the Napoleon era as well to make the cards even more unique. So I've been looking into that and the Thermidorian Reaction as well. I'm sorry you find the cards boring =(

@Don Boyer
I am definitely open to suggestions and welcome critique! The liberty, equality, fraternity is a good idea. My thinking for the naming of the decks was the alliteration of the subjects of the decks, but the Reign/Regime decks do tend to get confusing. One of those hindsight things I guess.

I did read up on how the courts were replaced. My original thinking behind the decks wasn't based on the different periods, but to create a deck with courts of notable people from the Ancien Regime and the Revolution. Then, the white Reign of Terror deck came about and I figured the court had to be people that were guillotined. La Marianne is on the blue back card design, though I guess not prominent enough. Now, with everyones feedback I'm starting to think in stages of the revolution versus how I originally conceived the deck.

@Sprouts1115
I've been torn about the QoD in the Regime deck. I sort of knew that it was going to be a problem for a lot of people, but...man I really love that hair boat haha. So I went with the decision to do it and see what the people and the uspcc say. I do have alternatives with her and different hair though. I have been talking to Tiffany, but I still have to upload artwork to the ftp. I still have three more court cards to finalize.

I thought I was prepared for some of the critiques such as printing or the QoD, but I've been given so much more to think about. I appreciate the feedback from here and on Kickstarter guys.

Also, one last question. Is it weird to cancel the project? It feels early enough to do so and I've been mulling over the feedback. The Napolean/Thermidorian Reaction really does interest me, but to do a whole new court on top of the few courts I have to finish now and possibly fix any historical inaccuracies...the 30 days I have doesn't seem like enough time. It would be kind of weird if the project gets funded, but I'm far from done redoing the deck. I see there's an awesome Design & Development forum here, so maybe I can hang out there and I can iron out these cards? I'm still thinking things over.

Thanks again guys!

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 03:48:04 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I don't think canceling and starting over would be a good idea, you're getting some very goof funding just a day in. I would definitely start tossing out updates for your backers discussing the possible changes and updates just so they feel in the loop and get a better understanding of the end goal of the design and concept.

Just my 2 cents of course  :)

Good Luck!

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Welcome to the forum enteng.
In my opinion, I would not cancel the project. That really turns off a lot of backers. Your project isn't broke. Just may need some tweaking. Your almost 1/4 funded in a day. That's pretty good. Take a day or two, and figure out what type of changes you would make. Then I would make an update(not a comment) explaining your ideas. Get a general consensus, or put it to a vote. You may not be able to get all the art work done by the end of the project, but you can get a good start on it, so people see what you are doing. If you don't get funded on the first try. I would bring it back with a lower goal, and only one deck. Make the other two decks stretch goals. Good luck with your project.

As Don would say- You should start a topic in the introduce yourself thread.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 12:20:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey guys. Designer of the deck here O_O

I was told to come on over here by a few people on Kickstarter.

Welcome - as Rob said in my place, go "Introduce Yourself" on the intro board.  People will welcome you, ask you questions, all sorts of fun things.

@MagikFingerz
I may have made my response a little too casually. It's not that I don't want it to be historically accurate, but more I didn't want to change something right away on the first day of the project. Some have messaged on Kickstarter saying they didn't want the colors switched, so I'm a little torn on what to do about that.

There was a suggestion to look into the Napoleon era as well to make the cards even more unique. So I've been looking into that and the Thermidorian Reaction as well. I'm sorry you find the cards boring =(

@Don Boyer
I am definitely open to suggestions and welcome critique! The liberty, equality, fraternity is a good idea. My thinking for the naming of the decks was the alliteration of the subjects of the decks, but the Reign/Regime decks do tend to get confusing. One of those hindsight things I guess.

I did read up on how the courts were replaced. My original thinking behind the decks wasn't based on the different periods, but to create a deck with courts of notable people from the Ancien Regime and the Revolution. Then, the white Reign of Terror deck came about and I figured the court had to be people that were guillotined. La Marianne is on the blue back card design, though I guess not prominent enough. Now, with everyones feedback I'm starting to think in stages of the revolution versus how I originally conceived the deck.

Some ideas...

On the French flag, the tricolor is in this order: blue, white, red.  Using that as a launching point, you can use the blue deck to represent the period of royalty, white to represent the Revolution, red to represent post-Revolutionary France.  In that order, Marianne would be best suited on the back of either the white or red decks.  Since you have a nice guillotine for the middle time period, the red deck would probably be best.

The blue deck courts would be royals of historical note, alive at the time.  The jokers can be commoners doing backbreaking labor at the bidding of the royals.  Your Aces should be Ones in this deck, and very unadorned.

The white deck courts could be either the lopped-off heads, or (and this might be better), leading figures in the Revolution.  You can reserve the Jokers for the Thermidor Reaction, with images of two prominent figures or two scenes from the Reaction.  Keep the Aces as ones, but perhaps with a dash of spilled blood, representing the blood of the royals spilled.

The red deck could have Liberty, Equality and Fraternity as the courts.  The jokers can be images of Marianne - one as she was pictured in Revolutionary days, one as she is represented today in France.  For this deck, the Ones are now the familiar Aces, and should be attractive without being overly adorned - the Ace did still represent the common man, a citizen of the Republic.  Make them noble without making them look like nobility, if that makes any sense to you.

Also, one last question. Is it weird to cancel the project? It feels early enough to do so and I've been mulling over the feedback. The Napolean/Thermidorian Reaction really does interest me, but to do a whole new court on top of the few courts I have to finish now and possibly fix any historical inaccuracies...the 30 days I have doesn't seem like enough time. It would be kind of weird if the project gets funded, but I'm far from done redoing the deck. I see there's an awesome Design & Development forum here, so maybe I can hang out there and I can iron out these cards? I'm still thinking things over.

Thanks again guys!

It will really depend on where you want to go with the decks.  If you plan on keeping them very much as they appear now with few changes, then just keep running the project.  If you plan on changes that might constitute an entirely new deck design based on the old one, it's not fair to the backers who supported you from the beginning and expected to get something largely like what the original design was.  That would be a valid reason to cancel the project - going back to the drawing board.  It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

As far as "negative reaction", I've seen two different types of early cancellation.  Yours is the type where the project goes for an overhaul and is similar to but adequately different from the original design.  That's fine, and while you might lose a few backers who liked the old design, you might gain more in the process to replace them and more.  Anyone getting upset simply because you canceled and restarted would be completely unjustified and probably would have been a whiny pain-in-the-butt anyway, so you're better off without him or her.

The other type would be if someone saw the handwriting on the wall, knew the project was going to fall flat on its face and wanted to attempt saving themselves the embarrassment.  If they return at all, the design is often identical or minimally changed from the original concept.  Perhaps the budget was dropped or the reward tiers were changed, but it's pretty much the same stuff on a different day.  Those are the projects that really earn the disdain of potential backers, especially in cases where the budget was dropped - it usually means that either the project will be of a lesser quality than was originally planned or that the creator has no clear idea of what it will really cost him or her to get their project made and shipped, so they lower the goal in hopes of being able to meet the goal and get the money, but in the end will lack the funds and what happens from there is never pretty.  Also, it might be the case that the creator never meant to deliver in the first place and simply wants to rip people off.  People are getting wiser to this - there are a few fraud cases right now that are being pursued by the authorities as a result of backers revolting and filing charges against the fraudster.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 10:43:05 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Project Update #3: Decisions Decisions
Posted by Vincent C. Black heart (cards) Like

Hey guys,

So...after giving it a lot of thought...I decided to cancel the Kickstarter. Right now I feel like any changes I make, though pleases some, also displeases others. It seems common to keep working on a project even after it's funded, but I feel like I'm altering what I originally presented and that might be unfair to some. Even though it's one deck that's evolving, it leads to changes in the other decks in order to balance out the overall theme and design. That's not a bad thing, but with the mix of changes, I cannot foresee a proper deadline for when the changes I make will be finished. I think it's wiser for me to take the time to reassess the project.

This isn't a total bummer though! I've learned a lot about the process of creating a project on Kickstarter. So I'll be taking a step back and will be reviewing the cards. Thanks for understanding and support everyone.

Seems like more and more decks are getting cancelled on KS recently. But i guess its better than releasing an "incomplete" deck or one that cannot be delivered. Anyway, there were already signs the designer wanted to cancel and re-do it.