Bicycle Rhapsody

Author (Read 4711 times)

Bicycle Rhapsody
« on: September 03, 2014, 02:21:24 PM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
I've found about a dozen of these, but that's it. Have you guys seen them yet?

Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...

Re: Bicycle Rhapsody
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 02:45:14 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I've read they've been found at Walmart but don't know much else about them.  Where did you find them?

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 03:05:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
These are news to me.  If WalMart is carrying them, it's a sure bet that it's a USPC design as opposed to a third party.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 03:25:44 PM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
yep Wal Mart. I've heard they're only available at a few stores particularly in the South. I've bought what I've found, and I'm selling them like crazy on ebay. Sold about 8 decks over the weekend.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 03:26:55 PM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Don - correct. These are USPC designed. I don't know if they traditionally have a long time between site updates, but there has been no mention of this deck on any of their websites, social media, etc.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
yep Wal Mart. I've heard they're only available at a few stores particularly in the South. I've bought what I've found, and I'm selling them like crazy on ebay. Sold about 8 decks over the weekend.
I found some of these today at a Wal-mart in a nearby town in south central Oklahoma.  I bought an extra set just in case someone was unable to find them where they live.  I will gladly sell them for what I paid plus actual shipping costs.  I have no experience selling cards or shipping them for that matter but I've bought plenty and have a good idea on how to package them to ship them safely.  I'm posting here instead of stiso in order to give the previous posters here first dibs. If no one is interested then I will repost on the proper board. 
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
I found some of these today at a Wal-mart in a nearby town in south central Oklahoma.  I bought an extra set just in case someone was unable to find them where they live.  I will gladly sell them for what I paid plus actual shipping costs.  I have no experience selling cards or shipping them for that matter but I've bought plenty and have a good idea on how to package them to ship them safely.  I'm posting here instead of stiso in order to give the previous posters here first dibs. If no one is interested then I will repost on the proper board.
I have no Walmart! How much are they? Are the face cards standard?They look pretty nice. Probably because I cant get them, I now want them even more! :)

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
I have no Walmart! How much are they? Are the face cards standard?They look pretty nice. Probably because I cant get them, I now want them even more! :)
I sent you a pm Rose.
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 01:44:31 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Definitely worth paying a premium versus having to go in to a Walmart! :-)

I'm in The South, I may have to make a special trip. Grrrrr...

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Here's a quick pic of the red deck. The AoS is custom. The courts are standard except their coloration is darker red which matches the card back.
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 07:48:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Rose, don't fret.  USPC owns a company called Wingra Direct, which does business at shopbicyclecards.com.  The company not only runs Club 808's store for them, but they also eventually get most if not all of the "company issue" decks like this one.  If it's not selling there now, there's a good chance it will be there eventually.

Should you fail to get it at regular retail, check out an ebay.com dealer called "pokerstud52".  He carries a good selection at reasonable prices and if you place orders through email or this account he has here instead of his eBay account, you can save 10%.

Most of the company decks are pretty boring, actually - standard faces with a decent back.  But the Pluma decks are worth getting.  They used the "old style" faces from the 125th Anniversary decks - it's an original face from the first Bicycle deck in 1885.  But where the Anniversary decks had all sorts of extraneous writing on them, the Pluma deck just has the old-look faces, nice and plain - except for a blah Ace of Spades, but I can forgive that!

If you find the Rhapsody deck, order the Plumas while you're at it.  Wingra has it in blue, WalMart was selling it in orange.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:03:58 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 07:56:05 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran

Rose, don't fret.  USPC owns a company called Wingra Direct, which does business at shopbicyclecards.com.  The company not only runs Club 808's store for them, but they also eventually get most if not all of the "company issue" decks like this one.  If it's not selling there now, there's a good chance it will be there eventually.

Should you fail to get it at regular retail, check out an ebay.com dealer called "pokerstud52".  He carries a good selection at reasonable prices and if you place orders through email or this account he has here instead of his eBay account, you can save 10%.
Don, do you know a less expensive way to ship to Australia?  I priced it thru USPS and it's $24-$25. UPS even higher. I paid $7 for the set and I can't see anyone paying that much in shipping to get these cards.
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 12:27:50 PM »

D. Dorn

• True Member
I just found ONE deck at a Wal-Mart in Arkansas as I was visiting home for the Thanksgiving Holiday.  I looked through their shelves and couldn't find another.  I got a red one.

I may have to ask my brother to look through for a few more.

Having only one, I'll keep it sealed, but I'd love to find one to open.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 01:17:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Don, do you know a less expensive way to ship to Australia?  I priced it thru USPS and it's $24-$25. UPS even higher. I paid $7 for the set and I can't see anyone paying that much in shipping to get these cards.

There's a popular service called Shipito for people buying US retail goods from other nations.  They function as a consolidation service and reshipper.

Ordering from many US retailers to ship internationally is often expensive, sometimes outrageously so.  Shipito gives you a US address to use for ordering items and using the domestic shipping rate to get them to one of their centers.  You can order from several retailers, let Shipito combine the orders into a single package and ship that one package at a more reasonable rate - in most cases.  You'd need to examine the fee structure to see if it's economically viable for you.  Whereas many retailers will only ship via trackable means such as USPS Priority Mail or Priority Mail Express (formerly called Express Mail) when shipping out of the country, I think you have more options with Shipito, meaning you can pick the cheaper, slower First Class rate - though you'll want to insure it regardless.

The simple fact remains, when all is said and done, that Australia is on the opposite side of the Earth from America and is an island nation, with no adjoining countries and thus no land routes to reach it.  It's not going to be cheap no matter how you slice it, but it should be cheaper than paying every little retailer you buy from for international shipping.

BTW: the United States Postal Service (USPS) will ALWAYS be cheaper than the United Parcel Service (UPS), especially if you're comparing equivalent services from each company.  Both are private companies, but USPS was once a government agency and still receives a lot of financial support (and regulation) from the Federal government to keep mail reaching everyone at rates that don't break the bank individually, though USPS itself has run at a loss for pretty much any year I can remember.  UPS was for a long time the only parcel service in the US besides the mail, at least until Federal Express (FedEx) and DHL came around in the 1980s and shook things up.  UPS was always expensive and to some extent still is, though it's a bit more competitive compared to other private parcel delivery companies.