Walgreen's Studs

Author (Read 3220 times)

Walgreen's Studs
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:22:57 AM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
Hey guys - I have heard a lot of buzz about Walgreen's Stud cards from magicians and cardists, and how they love the feel and vintage look. I found an old Walgreen's in a small town that had a shelf full of them, and after seeing what they're going for on Ebay, I bought the whole lot. Most of them are Jumbo Index unfortunately, but I think the demand would still be in excess of the $2.50 a deck I paid. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could provide a little history of these. I know Dan and Dave reproduced them for a while, so is it true that all original Studs manufactured for Walgreen's are Ohio made? What year did they discontinue them?
Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...

Re: Walgreen's Studs
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 09:59:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey guys - I have heard a lot of buzz about Walgreen's Stud cards from magicians and cardists, and how they love the feel and vintage look. I found an old Walgreen's in a small town that had a shelf full of them, and after seeing what they're going for on Ebay, I bought the whole lot. Most of them are Jumbo Index unfortunately, but I think the demand would still be in excess of the $2.50 a deck I paid. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could provide a little history of these. I know Dan and Dave reproduced them for a while, so is it true that all original Studs manufactured for Walgreen's are Ohio made? What year did they discontinue them?

Actually, Dan and Dave never reproduced them.  They were selling some of the stock from Walgreens.  They don't make every single deck they offer on their sites.

Part of the "vintage look" is the old Arrco faces.  Those faces are still in use, and less expensive for a custom deck than USPC standard faces.  The Crown decks have them, as does USPC's Streamlines.

ORIGINAL Studs, going back to the brand launch, are actually Chicago-made, where Arrco was headquartered.  USPC bought the company and production eventually shifted to Cincinnati, then maybe a year and a half or two years ago, Walgreens decided that they wanted to go cheaper and the "Play-Right" decks were brought in as replacements.  It was considered a foolish move at the time - the designers made the standard index deck in one back color and the jumbo index deck in the opposed color, meaning you'd never be able to make a matched pair for a round of poker.  But it's their budget brand - I guess they figured it's good enough for most, and poker players can always upgrade and buy Bicycles or Bees.  I'm sure it made their print order from USPC less expensive as well - only two deck varieties instead of four.

There's also the two versions - the earliest versions of the deck were done with bright red and bright blue backs.  A handful of years ago, those were replaced with a new, more modern tuck box design and a much darker shade of red and blue.  I'm a fan of the darker shade, but many like the lighter ones better.

You'd find some interest in them beyond the $2.50 a pack you paid, for certain, but if they're the darker, more recent decks, that interest will be a bit limited, especially for the jumbo index faces.  If you put them at auction starting at $2.50 on eBay, you might end up with $5-10.

For future reference, please try to find the existing topic on various brand name decks, especially the older ones.  We like putting all the Plethora information for a deck in one place whenever possible.  Additionally, you might find the answers to at least some of your questions are already there!  :))
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:00:35 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:21:10 AM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
Thanks for the information. Sorry for cluttering the forum with an already discussed topic.
Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Thanks for the information. Sorry for cluttering the forum with an already discussed topic.

Every now and then someone starts a new studs topic. :))

I basically agree with everything Don said. I sell my extra decks on eBay. Trust me when I tell you, buying playing cards at retail prices and trying to sell them for profit is NOT the greatest of ideas. Especially if they are Jumbo Index. You should buy decks because you want them first, not because you think you can make a few dollars. If the decks then end up being worth more then you bought them for, good for you. I'd be happy making my money back on those particular studs if I was you. There's just so much out there now, with exception to the few really good new releases, playing card sales are slowing down to say the least.

Attached picture are some standard index studs I picked up recently on eBay. I think I paid 29.95 w/ free shipping. But these are for me, not for resale. :))
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:40:31 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 07:12:36 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

There's no need to apologize.  You're new and you didn't know!  We're a little easygoing here, so don't sweat the little things, OK?

Hang on to your Studs and they'll appreciate in value - just not by a huge amount any time soon.  There are two factors working at odds here.  It is a deck that's no longer in print, thus harder to find in stores, but it is also a deck that was commonly available wherever there was a Walgreens.

Compare it to Bicycle standard decks.  They came in over eighty deck backs before the company decided to go all crazy with the customs and allow decks to have the brand name.  Rider Backs still are and have long been the most commonly-available of the designs, thus it tends to trade at lower prices, even if they're old enough to be called antique.  A similarly popular deck back, the New Fan Back, has long been out of print (though reprinted a number of times, most recently by Dan and Dave - though for reasons unknown, using mismatched colors for the faces), thus it tends to trade for a bit of a premium, but not a huge one.  They progress like that all the way to the Bicycle War Series decks - they were in release for under a year during 1918.  Those four decks, in either of the two colors they were made in, sell in the low four figures because of their rarity.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/