Hey everybody!

Author (Read 731 times)

Hey everybody!
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:12:14 PM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
My name is Ben, and i am brand new to collecting and card magic. I became interested in card magic watching some of the youtube pros. I decided that I wanted to learn their ways! I quickly fell in love with bicycle decks, and am now starting a collection. Its been exciting just looking for the classic cincinnati decks in older stores around town. Something about that classic box with rider back printed on it i love. I have some basic beginner questions along these lines - where would be the best place to ask? I love the site! Found it googling card info. Thanks!
Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...

Re: Hey everybody!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:01:52 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Welcome Ben. You've come to a good place to find information about playing cards. We have a lot of different interest here.
If it's magic you want- head here- Magical Cardistry Bonanza
If you want to know more about cards in general go here Playing Card Plethora
Remember, we all started somewhere. Don't be afraid to jump right in.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 07:17:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My name is Ben, and i am brand new to collecting and card magic. I became interested in card magic watching some of the youtube pros. I decided that I wanted to learn their ways! I quickly fell in love with bicycle decks, and am now starting a collection. Its been exciting just looking for the classic cincinnati decks in older stores around town. Something about that classic box with rider back printed on it i love. I have some basic beginner questions along these lines - where would be the best place to ask? I love the site! Found it googling card info. Thanks!

Hey, Ben, welcome!

You can ask right here in your topic.  If you're question is a "big" question - the kind that has an answer other people would benefit from - you can create a new topic in the appropriate board.

Don't forget to check out the other boards while you're here.  A Cellar of Fine Vintages has some absolutely beautiful decks from days gone by - some are over a century old!

If you prefer the "classic" box for your Bicycle Rider Backs instead of the newer "standard" box, USPC still makes them!  They sell it mostly to collectors or to magicians who have tricks that depend on the old box style.  They call it the "807 Rider Back" (standard ones are referred to by the number "808") and they have a number series on the bottom of the box with "807" in it.  Wingra Direct is a wholly-owned subsidiary of USPC and operates an online store where you can buy them.  Here's the link:

http://www.shopbicyclecards.com/807-Rider-Back-P214C42.aspx

The cards in the box are newly-printed and 100% identical to the cards going into the "standard" box and even say "808" on the Ace of Spades below the name "Bicycle".  For some, this is a drawback, because they feel the newer cards aren't as well-made as the older Cincinnati stock.  I'm inclined to agree - I'm pretty sure the newer cards have a thinner paper stock.  But if you really want the look of the classic box, it's not a bad alternative, though a little expensive at $4 a box.

(Wingra Direct never offers a color choice when you're ordering a deck that comes in two colors.  If you buy in even numbers, you'll get an equal amount of both - buy in odd numbers and the extra, odd deck will be random choice.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:18:31 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Thanks for the replies. I actually just discovered the other day that Bicycle is selling the classic boxes as 807 decks. That's cool - but I should have clarified. I like the actual Cincinnati decks in the original boxes. I agree with you - the stock feels nicer. I've been able to find some around town buried behind newer decks. I have found several 4 pack boxes that include 2 red "standard" decks from Kentucky, and two black rider back decks from Ohio in them. Yesterday I got really excited when I found one in a Walgreens that had all Ohio rider back decks in it. The red and blue Ohio decks are already almost impossible to find anywhere except from collectors online.

One of my questions is about a deck I found in Wal-Mart awhile back. It was the only one, and I haven't seen this deck anywhere else in any store, and I can't even find it online. It's a silver back Bicycle deck, with black and silver on the box. The back of the box has a card split in half diagonally - face and back. The front just says playing cards. The best part is the court cards - the art isn't reversible, only shows upright one way and it's a modern version of the classic courts. I love this deck, but I can't find anymore anywhere. I would also like to find other colors in this same series. Anybody know anything about these?

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 08:39:26 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Hi Ben and welcome. Hope your interest grows to vintage and antique Bicycle 808 decks. They are wonderful. Visit this website for a looksee
 www.bicyclecards.org

Also check out this topic on the Forum
PlayingCardForum.com - A Discourse For Playing Cards » Playing Card Chat ♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ » A Cellar of Fine Vintages (Moderators: 52plusjoker, HeartQ) » Bicycle Brand Vintage Box styles
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 12:45:51 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Welcome Ben...........your at the tip of the iceburg here, with plenty to discover. Some great people to help and share, along with the knowledge that Tom, Don and others bring you'll learn plenty.

Enjoy!

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 05:32:33 PM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Hi Ben and welcome. Hope your interest grows to vintage and antique Bicycle 808 decks. They are wonderful. Visit this website for a looksee
 www.bicyclecards.org

Love that site! Thanks!