Playing Card Chat ♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ > A Cellar of Fine Vintages

Post Your Vintage Collection - Your Newest & Most Prized Acquisitions

(1/81) > >>

jmrock:
I figure I'd start off posting a few pics of one of my favorite vintage decks… 1800's Steamboats with Watermelon Joker… 

Don Boyer:

--- Quote from: jmrock on December 23, 2013, 02:28:15 AM ---I figure I'd start off posting a few pics of one of my favorite vintage decks… 1800's Steamboats with Watermelon Joker…

--- End quote ---

Whoa...  That's a museum piece, man!  I think you're making more than a few curators jealous!  Judging from the courts and indices as well as the presence of a joker, I'd wager that deck was from somewhere circa the 1885, plus or minus perhaps 10 or 15 years - am I close?  I'm thinking on the earlier end of that time frame, with the courts being two-headed but only in two colors, red and black.

Did the cards fade over time, or was that the natural color they were made in?  I recall that Steamboats were generally a more affordable brand, one that ended up made as a brand name of a few different companies.  If you could educate us on the brand a bit, I'd appreciate it as I'm sure the others would as well.

JacksonRobinson:
This is one of my favorite decks in my collection. I picked it up from Steve Browling while at the 52+ Joker Convention this year.

Congress including the Dundreary Joker. from the late 1800s

This is probably the most easy to get version, but there are also two other joker versions that are even more rare.  One of the other versions has the same version but with slight flesh tones, and then the most rare features one that has an oval border.

The pictures don't show it very well but this set has really nice gold gilded edges.

52plusjoker:
Wow - those are two great decks! The Steamboats were on cheap rough paper at that time and acquire the look you see in the pix as time goes by. My power just came back on and I'll be busy trying to post a few decks of ours today, answer questions, etc. And Jackson will send you a pic of the AD7 Ace.

Jonathon - nice start to your new Job ;D!

52plusjoker:
Just sent these pictures of one of my favorite old Dougherty decks, c1872, to one of our members. It is AD7 in the Hochman Encyclopedia. Love the engraved Ace and the logo type back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version