The Princess Bride Playing Cards (KS)
« on: October 23, 2013, 12:31:02 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
The Princess Bride Playing Cards

Project by: Erik Dahlman/ Albino Dragon

7th project, $17,657 of $10,000 goal in under 24hrs, USPC printing, $15 for 1 deck, $28 for 2

Why $15?

Unlike our other decks that were based on our own designs, this project carries some additional costs that we did not incur previously. This time around we have expenses like licensing and agent fees as well as a price increase for USPS shipping starting in January of 2014.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 02:19:59 AM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: The Princess Bride Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 01:36:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The Princess Bride Playing Cards

7th project, $17,657 of $10,000 goal in under 24hrs, USPC printing, $15 for 1 deck, $28 for 2

Why $15?

Unlike our other decks that were based on our own designs, this project carries some additional costs that we did not incur previously. This time around we have expenses like licensing and agent fees as well as a price increase for USPS shipping starting in January of 2014.

These days a $15 deck doesn't exactly raise eyebrows, there's been so many of them recently.  Anyone with a pulse could've deduced that there's be licensing fees for a book - and a film - still protected under copyright laws.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 03:45:48 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Why $15?

These days a $15 deck doesn't exactly raise eyebrows, there's been so many of them recently.  Anyone with a pulse could've deduced that there's be licensing fees for a book - and a film - still protected under copyright laws.

Despite that, Vjose32 was going spare telling everyone how he was insulted by the increase in price and announcing that he would not be backing the project.

Nat Iwata offered him a hug, but he didn't seem to accept.  :(
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 06:11:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Despite that, Vjose32 was going spare telling everyone how he was insulted by the increase in price and announcing that he would not be backing the project.

Nat Iwata offered him a hug, but he didn't seem to accept.  :(

That guy...  Vjose actually reached me on Facebook after I showed off the Legends decks I got as promotional samples from Lawrence Sullivan.  He was practically begging for freebies!

I heard one person around here tell a story of a sale gone bad with him - decks get shipped, he claims they didn't arrive, the usual story.  The funny thing about it was that within a short time, he made a video reviewing the very same deck he claimed never arrived!

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:42:26 AM »

AlbinoDragon

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I've also received emails from him claiming product never arrived. Hopefully other project creators will ignore such requests from him in the future.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:42:44 AM by AlbinoDragon »

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 10:52:04 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
One of my favorite movies, but the deck doesn't move me, more so, there are other current and future KS products I would rather back.
Good Luck to them!

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 08:07:16 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
"We just broke through the second stretch goal!

Here is the card back for Deck #2. You'll notice that we have a completely different artist and style with this deck. Hopefully we are making it very hard to choose which one you like the best.

We'll have one of the court cards and tuck box art to share with you on an update soon but hopefully this gives you a good idea of what to expect."

I don't know when I look at a "2-way" back I start at the middle and work my way up.  It's very important the top should be right-side up and it's critical what's in the top left corner of the back.  If your playing cards with this deck and your opponent is sitting across from you I can image seeing a bunch of upside down rat thingamajiggers.  To me, It won't look pleasing to the eye. I know a lot of people break that rule and sometimes they make it work and it's no big deal, but this time it's going to be pretty obvious.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 08:08:22 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 01:23:25 AM »

AlbinoDragon

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hey guys,
  I don't post much as I'm more of a lurker but I wanted to ask for some feedback about our current project to use for future projects.

We have some new artists on staff that are very green to making playing cards but they are also very open to creating decks that are more traditional. I've learned some things over the past year but I'm still very much a neophyte myself and would greatly appreciate some constructive feedback about what it is that the experts find to be the most important aspects when looking at their cards.

Now that the company is free to grow uninhibited, we'd very much like to make sure that we are doing our best to create products that aren't just visually appealing but that utilize conventions that are important to cardists.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:33:23 AM by AlbinoDragon »

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 03:32:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey guys,
  I don't post much as I'm more of a lurker but I wanted to ask for some feedback about our current project to use for future projects.

We have some new artists on staff that are very green to making playing cards but they are also very open to creating decks that are more traditional. I've learned some things over the past year but I'm still very much a neophyte myself and would greatly appreciate some constructive feedback about what it is that the experts find to be the most important aspects when looking at their cards.

Now that the company is free to grow inhibited, we'd very much like to make sure that we are doing our best to create products that aren't just visually appealing but that utilize conventions that are important to cardists.

I think you meant "uninhibited," right?  :))

We've posted a LOT of information on this topic.  If you're really interested in something in-depth, contact me by PM.  I do consulting for playing card project creators, my biggest client being Uusi - I worked with them on all but their very first deck, the original Blue Blood deck.

Also - bear in mind that your project has a potential appeal far beyond that of the playing card collecting community.  All of the break-outs, the massively successful decks, tended to have an investor base much broader than just the people who hang out here talking about pasteboards all day.  You should know this exceptionally well from your previous projects.  You want to appeal to collectors, for sure, but you also want to appeal to a bigger group - in the case of this deck, there's a lot of fans of "The Princess Bride" out there, both the book and the movie.  You should be reaching out to them at least as vigorously, as well as to anyone interested in 1980s cinema/memorabilia in general.

Best of luck to you!

The Princess Bride by Erik Dahlman
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 09:26:41 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
For anyone that may be looking to purchase The Princess Bride decks by Erik Dahlman (Albino Dragon), all 3 decks are available to purchase for $9.98 per deck at the following web address. 

http://www.princessbridetweasure.com/playing-cards.aspx

"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 12:26:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks, Will - as you can see, we already had a topic for that.

STISO would be for individuals trading with individuals or retailers who only operate out of eBay, stuff like that, with the sole exception of "Great Deals on the Web & Retail !!", where we usually announce stuff selling at discount.

For something like this - an announcement that a previously-discussed deck is on sale - tacking it to the end of the topic for it in the Plethora is the typical M.O.

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 02:21:11 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Thanks, Will - as you can see, we already had a topic for that.

STISO would be for individuals trading with individuals or retailers who only operate out of eBay, stuff like that, with the sole exception of "Great Deals on the Web & Retail !!", where we usually announce stuff selling at discount.

For something like this - an announcement that a previously-discussed deck is on sale - tacking it to the end of the topic for it in the Plethora is the typical M.O.
Thanks Don... I wasnt quite sure where I should post. I did search for it but I realize now that I was most likely just searching that part of the board in which I was currently viewing. I will try to be more thorough in the future.
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia