Good Morning Discourse
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:00:41 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
My name is Anthony and I'm an avid Zippo collector...I know, this is a playing card forum. I'm from Huntley Illinois which is just about an hour west of Chicago. How a Zippo brought me here....My passion for Zippo's came from the art and creativity found in them, I have a graphics and art background and just found them fascinating. Recently a friend sent me a Zippo and along with it a pack of Bicycle playing cards with images and art by Anne Stokes, one of my favorite fantasy artists. Needless to say, I was hooked. I flashed back to my early Zippo days when a lighter was a lighter and until just recently, a deck of cards was a deck of cards. I've been poking around here and there looking for some education into my new found hobby and came across your site.

I'm one of those collectors who just loves digging deep into information so I hope I don't make anyone crazy with "Noob" questions, it's always nice to discuss your passion with others like yourself so I'm hoping to get to know you current members a little better over time.

Not so strangely, looking into information on Playing Cards brought me to a lot of information on Magic, I'm a big fan, always have been. While grand illusion is quite amazing, I've always loved slight of hand and  card tricks much more. Something about the "Up close and personal" is just amazing.

Anyway, that's a little about myself, looking forward to participating on the site!

T

Re: Good Morning Discourse
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My name is Anthony and I'm an avid Zippo collector...I know, this is a playing card forum. I'm from Huntley Illinois which is just about an hour west of Chicago. How a Zippo brought me here....My passion for Zippo's came from the art and creativity found in them, I have a graphics and art background and just found them fascinating. Recently a friend sent me a Zippo and along with it a pack of Bicycle playing cards with images and art by Anne Stokes, one of my favorite fantasy artists. Needless to say, I was hooked. I flashed back to my early Zippo days when a lighter was a lighter and until just recently, a deck of cards was a deck of cards. I've been poking around here and there looking for some education into my new found hobby and came across your site.

I'm one of those collectors who just loves digging deep into information so I hope I don't make anyone crazy with "Noob" questions, it's always nice to discuss your passion with others like yourself so I'm hoping to get to know you current members a little better over time.

Not so strangely, looking into information on Playing Cards brought me to a lot of information on Magic, I'm a big fan, always have been. While grand illusion is quite amazing, I've always loved slight of hand and  card tricks much more. Something about the "Up close and personal" is just amazing.

Anyway, that's a little about myself, looking forward to participating on the site!

T

Welcome to the Discourse, Anthony.  Everybody was a noob at one time in their lives, so relax and don't sweat it.  Just remember that the search function is your best friend - see if the information you're seeking already was posted before asking and you might save yourself a lot of time.  We're always glad to have another victim - er, I mean, "collector" - among us...  :))

If the answers to your questions can't be found with searching or checking the sticky topics at the beginning of each board's topic list, then fire away and we'll see what we can do for you.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 03:21:21 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Hey! Welcome to the forums. I actually did a review for the Bicycle Zippo set back in the day.

Enjoy the hobby. :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:24:18 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Thanks guys, not new to message boards or collecting, just new to this subject matter...but I'll learn, lol. Alex I still have a sealed Zippo Deck in my collection, I love the subtle design in the background. Don no picking on the new guy, lol.

Thanks again for the welcome!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:25:46 PM by Sparkz »