Kings Wild Development Thread

Author (Read 17203 times)

« on: September 01, 2013, 01:44:42 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

This thread originally started out as a thread just for the Kings Wild Signature Series deck but I wanted to turn it more into a digital sketchbook of sorts. I will be posting all sorts of my ideas, thoughts, and other concepts I'm developing here for you guys to take a look at, enjoy.

I'm throwing the idea around of creating my own set of traditional rider backs. My thought is they would be the court cards that I use in all of the decks that I create that call for a more traditional set of court cards. As of now I'm calling it the Kings Wild Signature Series. This is a back design I've been playing with. I also would love to do this deck OFF of kickstarter and only make these Kings Wild Signature Series decks available via my website. Its also nice to start getting back to creating instead of shipping all day long. I really just need a breath of fresh air.

The design still has a hint of my love of intricate line work.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:59:06 PM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

Re: Kings Wild - Signature Series
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 02:16:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm throwing the idea around of creating my own set of traditional rider backs. My thought is they would be the court cards that I use in all of the decks that I create that call for a more traditional set of court cards. As of now I'm calling it the Kings Wild Signature Series. This is a back design I've been playing with. I also would love to do this deck OFF of kickstarter and only make these Kings Wild Signature Series decks available via my website. Its also nice to start getting back to creating instead of shipping all day long. I really just need a breath of fresh air.

Ain't nothing wrong with nice linework - the Aristocrat Banknotes are popular for a reason.

That's a serious back - looks very nice.  Looking forward to seeing those signature courts you want to make.  My advice - tweak away all you want, but for a "traditional" deck, don't stray too far from the basics.  Incorporate the standard imagery in terms of cards that are one-eyed, bearded, carry a "bedpost", are committing suicide, etc.

One of my favorite court sets in recent history was from the Virtuoso deck.  It had the traditional look and feel but the artwork was more modernized and the Queens were so much more attractive - like women you'd see on the street as opposed to in a history book.  Updated, slightly modernized art would do your deck well.

For the card gods' sake, don't go the typical route of taking your friends faces and putting them on your courts!  They end up looking contrived and the concept is getting overused.  The only person who pulled that off with style was the designer of the White Knuckle deck, and he practically drove himself insane creating that deck...all work and no play make Jack(-son) a dull boy...  :))  But damn, aren't those White Knuckles beautiful?  He also did a fine job of something I don't often see - depth of field, a real sense of three-dimensionality rather than a flat picture.  That, too, would do your deck well.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 02:18:43 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
This is very nice Jackson. Glad you're back in the game after your short break (: I wasn't a huge fan of your Federal 52 decks but this one really intrigues me. I love the shade of red and the intricate line work is quite appealing! I personally would rather your logo just a tiny bit further out to the edges, but other than that i am very interested!

Wish you all the best and i hope you keep us updated!
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 04:26:23 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Ain't nothing wrong with nice linework - the Aristocrat Banknotes are popular for a reason.

That's a serious back - looks very nice.  Looking forward to seeing those signature courts you want to make.  My advice - tweak away all you want, but for a "traditional" deck, don't stray too far from the basics.  Incorporate the standard imagery in terms of cards that are one-eyed, bearded, carry a "bedpost", are committing suicide, etc.

One of my favorite court sets in recent history was from the Virtuoso deck.  It had the traditional look and feel but the artwork was more modernized and the Queens were so much more attractive - like women you'd see on the street as opposed to in a history book.  Updated, slightly modernized art would do your deck well.

For the card gods' sake, don't go the typical route of taking your friends faces and putting them on your courts!  They end up looking contrived and the concept is getting overused.  The only person who pulled that off with style was the designer of the White Knuckle deck, and he practically drove himself insane creating that deck...all work and no play make Jack(-son) a dull boy...  :))  But damn, aren't those White Knuckles beautiful?  He also did a fine job of something I don't often see - depth of field, a real sense of three-dimensionality rather than a flat picture.  That, too, would do your deck well.

Always great content from the Don!
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 05:29:54 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
This is very nice Jackson. Glad you're back in the game after your short break (: I wasn't a huge fan of your Federal 52 decks but this one really intrigues me. I love the shade of red and the intricate line work is quite appealing! I personally would rather your logo just a tiny bit further out to the edges, but other than that i am very interested!

Wish you all the best and i hope you keep us updated!

First off thanks for your input and the Fed is not everyones cup of tea. With that said here is a probably "to much information" explanation of my placement of the logo. Apologies before hand if it comes off pretentious, I just think it might be useful for some to see the process.

This is an age old design method I learned in art school to find the visual centers on any rectangular composition.

Step 1: Duplicate the composition side by side. Then find the center line.

Step 2: Then find the center lines of each of the single compositions.

Step 3: The intersections of the two centers will give you the "thirds" of the composition.

Step 4: Then find the centerline of the top two middle quads and also the bottom middle quads. This will give you the "visual safe" area.

Visual Safe Area lines

Visual Safe Area

Area of visual interest. The only "rule of thirds" i'm breaking is by not moving the logo over two the side of one of the thirds intersection lines but I can let that slide because it's a playing card.

Then I arrange my background rosettes so that the negative space always leads the eye back to the logo.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:30:55 AM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 06:54:19 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
I'm loving that red and hope it can get printed like that. Will there be a blue version too like traditional rider backs?

Have you thought of "hiding" or making the logo blend into the intricate line work? Or maybe using the seal version of your logo (ie. the one on the front page of the Kings Wild site"?

And thanks for the design lesson. It's pretty cool to see all the thought that goes into and it's not just "well, let's put it there 'cause it kind of looks good". Best of luck and I can't wait to see the finished version, especially the courts.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 11:41:14 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Jackson Robinson is designing a signature deck with more intricate line work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aAEux7YZpgk#t=27
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:30:31 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Very nice Jackson. Your signature design looks like Scarlet Rounders meets Aristocrat Banknote.

This is not meant to be as subtle as Madison Rounders?  I would like to see your logo slightly larger or Not. I'm trying to visualize it.

Are you customizing the court cards? 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:56:53 AM by Anonymous »

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 11:46:14 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Very nice Jackson. Your signature design looks like Scarlet Rounders meets Aristocrat Banknote.

This is not meant to be as subtle as Madison Rounders?  I would like to see your logo slightly larger or Not. I'm trying to visualize it.

Absolutely, my idea for the "signature series" would be for me to create the standard Kings Wild Court cards that I use for all non themed decks that call for a more traditional court cards.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 04:58:41 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Hey Jackson, I recommend looking into seeing if there is any demand for a full-bleed back. That red is stunning but, as usual with art work, borders take away from it.

At the very least do thin borders. :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 05:25:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey Jackson, I recommend looking into seeing if there is any demand for a full-bleed back. That red is stunning but, as usual with art work, borders take away from it.

I'd dig seeing "fade" borders, gradually lightening in shade to white at the cutting edge.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I personally like full bleed, serves the art better. I'm open. I don't however like the fade thing that some of the backs do. Always reminds me of songs that just end by fading the music. Seems like the band never got around to writing an ending for the song. Thats just my personal pref though. I would like to here what other think about the full bleed. THX alex
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 06:30:04 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Absolutely, my idea for the "signature series" would be for me to create the standard Kings Wild Court cards that I use for all non themed decks that call for a more traditional court cards.

That's a great idea. Its actually something I wish Ellusionist would do. Making their Artifice court cards their standard. I guess that would depend on the artist, not the company in Ellusionist's case.

Are you going to design the Courts first before launching a Kickstarter? It would make sense that you take your time if you plan on using them as standards for other decks.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:59:17 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 05:05:18 AM »

Leif

• Elite Member
I really liked your federal deck, or decks. I didn't back it on kickstarter, because I have never backed anything there. But you should know that your deck is the project I've been closest to back. I hope I can buy them from your website later on.

I generally like backs with a border. I like to get some borderless for my collection, just to try them out, but I prefer borders.

For me, the rule of thirds demonstration was really valuable. I wonder how this relates to the golden ratio?

I'm not very fond of the logo on the back, I didn't like the Madison Rounders back either, and this reminds me of that.
I'm very fond of the intricate line work.

Generally I like a back with more difference between the present colors, for example, the standard rider back.

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I personally like full bleed, serves the art better. I'm open. I don't however like the fade thing that some of the backs do. Always reminds me of songs that just end by fading the music. Seems like the band never got around to writing an ending for the song. Thats just my personal pref though. I would like to here what other think about the full bleed. THX alex

There's been a long-standing argument between collectors and magicians ever since the original Artifice decks (black-bordered backs, white fronts) about printing to the bleed on the back with a dark, solid color like that when the faces have white backgrounds to the edge.  Collectors say "Oh, that's beautiful," while magicians cry "Hey, now I can't do that trick with the flipped card in the middle of the deck because it shows too much."  Now if the edge were something more like a Bee Diamond Back, it would work better for both camps - while it's not impossible to spot a flipped card, the patterned edge with alternating light and dark colors makes it more difficult.

But in the end, this is your baby, right?  :))

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 12:27:41 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
This back design isn't the Kings Wild Signature Series but only practice. If I have time I try and create two or three back designs a week, just to keep the tools sharp, and to try new things. I have a folder of about 47 backs that are just sitting there.

@Don Is there a thread that we can use to just dump our work in progress stuff onto. I'm a member of some illustration forums and they have a "digital sketchbook journal" Its a thread that you start simply to keep a visual / comment journal about you work in progress.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 01:08:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

@Don Is there a thread that we can use to just dump our work in progress stuff onto. I'm a member of some illustration forums and they have a "digital sketchbook journal" Its a thread that you start simply to keep a visual / comment journal about you work in progress.

You could put such a topic in the Design/Dev board and it would be perfectly at home.  The whole membership can see it and comment.

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 01:42:03 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

There's been a long-standing argument between collectors and magicians ever since the original Artifice decks (black-bordered backs, white fronts) about printing to the bleed on the back with a dark, solid color like that when the faces have white backgrounds to the edge.  Collectors say "Oh, that's beautiful," while magicians cry "Hey, now I can't do that trick with the flipped card in the middle of the deck because it shows too much."  Now if the edge were something more like a Bee Diamond Back, it would work better for both camps - while it's not impossible to spot a flipped card, the patterned edge with alternating light and dark colors makes it more difficult.

But in the end, this is your baby, right?  :))
Would a color ring on the face of the card to match the back be a good idea? Would that be beneficial to a magician?
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 01:59:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Would a color ring on the face of the card to match the back be a good idea? Would that be beneficial to a magician?

Maybe it would be, but it could also end up looking butt-ugly.  It would really be a matter of how it was pulled off.

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 12:32:23 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Hey Jackson,  I am a big fan of your work, I backed your Federal 52 cards. 

I cant wait to see what you do next!  I like were you are going with the Red signature series.

Best of Luck!

Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 08:49:30 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Ahh Mr Robinson, you are a freaking genius!! You are quite easily one of my favourite deck designers :) doesn't mean much, but hey, I love your work.
A question for you though, why Kings Wild? Why not Jacks Wild? Would've worked great with Jack being part of your name too, just a thought :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I have a folder of about 47 backs that are just sitting there.

I'm looking for a card back.  It's the part I hate!! :)
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 01:20:18 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
This back design isn't the Kings Wild Signature Series but only practice. If I have time I try and create two or three back designs a week, just to keep the tools sharp, and to try new things. I have a folder of about 47 backs that are just sitting there.

I would not use that. It's not one of your better back designs. Someone with your skill, that back took you 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:22:40 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 10:01:38 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
That back is so close to being amazing. I can't describe it, but it somehow looks a tad off and dis-proportioned. I have to agree with Anonymous. You definitely have something awesome going with the knot design, but it's not quite there yet for me. Doesn't mean it's not amazing work! A slight retooling could make it absolutely superb.

In regards to the folder-o-backs, you should dump a few in this thread. (Watermark them if need be) Someone of your caliber having an old folder of designs it sounds like Blackbeard's treasure!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 09:37:23 AM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Really smart work Jackson, nice to see your process.  You know your brushes ;)   And don't sit still for long.  Awesome stuff