You are Here:
A more formal introduction

Author (Read 1049 times)

A more formal introduction
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:29:53 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
So I've been posting here for a few months now (I think I joined back in November?), but I never got around to doing one of these. My name is Mike, I'm 22 years old and I'm from Chicago...area, though I usually just say Chicago because it's easier. I pretty much do everything related to cards, and it varies from day to day what I'm feeling. More recently I've been practicing cardistry/flourishing, while about a month or two ago I was practicing gambling sleights and shuffles mainly, and of course I started out with magic which I still do from time to time. Also I have a pretty decent card collection, but not as extensive as some card collections I've seen (I'd say around 70 decks total right now).

I got into cards around March last year IIRC, so I've been practicing for about ten months. It was kinda strange how it happened. For whatever reason I got really into Penn & Teller Bullshit in late 2011, which eventually led to me watching Fool Us, and that is what eventually led me to picking up magic for myself. The rest followed along after that. I got into cardistry after watching Decksandcontest's video on the sybil cut, then I got Dangerous and Trilogy and have been practicing that ever since. I'd say my biggest interest is in magic/gambling sleights more than the actual tricks, which is also a big reason why I do cardistry. I really only do magic spontaneously, and usually while drinking which kind of makes it harder, so that's definitely not what motivates me to practice. It's more like I really just enjoy getting better at moves or flourishes, i.e. I'd practice the classic pass rather than practicing a specific trick, and it's mostly because I like to see the improvement in the moves.

Other than cards, my main hobbies are drumming, powerlifting, and breakdancing. Somewhat unconventional hobbies, I know, but I do all of those for very similar reasons to why I practice with cards. I develop an interest for something, which turns into a passion and I just love getting better at them. I've been drumming and powerlifting for about 5 years now, and breakdancing for a few months (still not that great at it lol but it's fun). Drumming will always be my #1 passion and I'd say it's the thing I'm best at. Here's an old video of me drumming for reference, though I am quite a bit better now (it's about a year and a half old)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYblaNG2cIs

Yes, Streetlight Manifesto is my favorite band, and I really love music in general but that's a long discussion for another time. I guess this introduction got a bit long and somewhat off topic but here you go. Definitely not afraid to make my opinion known as some people here have found out (Don...lol), but I'd like to think I'm pretty easy to get along with.

Go Blackhawks!

-Mike

Re: A more formal introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 06:54:21 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
What part of Chicago? My girlfriend lived there her whole life. When I visited, it was an awesome city... like a clean NYC basically.

Oh, and "welcome" to the boards. :P
Forum Founder.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:17:31 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
I've never lived in Chicago, for full disclosure. I lived in Dundee (by Elgin) for the first 18 years of my life, then moved to Evanston when I went to college. So right by the city but never in it, although I do go downtown quite a bit especially to wrigleyville. I have been to NYC too, and I agree lol. Both are better than Philadelphia though...man do I have some stories about Philadelphia..........

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 09:53:21 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Definitely not afraid to make my opinion known as some people here have found out (Don...lol), but I'd like to think I'm pretty easy to get along with.

You're easy enough to get along with - there's nothing wrong with having a firm opinion; it makes for good conversation.

"Welcome aboard!"  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:48:35 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Hey Mike! Love the intro!!! Love it love it love it!
I love the Pen & Teller Bullshit, specially the one about the FineDining episode! It always cracks me up! hahahaha!

Anyway welcome back (i guess). Since you've been here for some time now I guess I don't have to give you the welcome post which usually consists of reminding  people that there is a SEARCH function you can use in case you wanted to look for certain topics and telling people that "If you have questions you can just message any of the mods. " right?

hahahaha anway, thanks for posting your intro!! :) Glad to STILL have you with us!!

BTW. You breakdance?!

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 01:52:05 AM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran

Definitely not afraid to make my opinion known as some people here have found out (Don...lol), but I'd like to think I'm pretty easy to get along with.

You're easy enough to get along with - there's nothing wrong with having a firm opinion; it makes for good conversation.

I try not to be antagonistic, but I guess I come off that way sometimes...Maybe it's an internet thing because I feel like I'm much easier to get along with in person. oh well

Hey Mike! Love the intro!!! Love it love it love it!
I love the Pen & Teller Bullshit, specially the one about the FineDining episode! It always cracks me up! hahahaha!

Anyway welcome back (i guess). Since you've been here for some time now I guess I don't have to give you the welcome post which usually consists of reminding  people that there is a SEARCH function you can use in case you wanted to look for certain topics and telling people that "If you have questions you can just message any of the mods. " right?

hahahaha anway, thanks for posting your intro!! :) Glad to STILL have you with us!!

BTW. You breakdance?!

thanks for the re-welcome Lara lol. As far as breakdancing goes, I have been doing it for a few months as sort of a hobby (similar to all things cards I guess). I'm not that great at it but I really love doing it, and it's a way better workout than running and stuff like that so that's a benefit. It's really just a lot of fun to do and not quite as hard to get into as people may think. I don't have a video or anything of me doing it like I do with drumming but here's kind of an example of stuff I like doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FURxCWZX6A

quite fun and I guess impressive to some people since a lot of people are awful at dancing lol

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 04:27:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I try not to be antagonistic, but I guess I come off that way sometimes...Maybe it's an internet thing because I feel like I'm much easier to get along with in person. oh well

I would better describe you as opinionated rather than antagonistic.  You have ideas, they don't always gel with other people's ideas, you hash it out, then you either reach common ground or agree to disagree.  'Nuff said, and ain't nothin' wrong with it.  In a forum such as this, the shy, retiring wallflowers are what we usually refer to as "lurkers"...  :))  Never be afraid to speak your mind, especially if you firmly believe in what you're saying and regardless of whether it will be popularly received.

Take a cue from smart leaders - they're not always liked, but they do what needs to be done.  In the end, history reveals their real wisdom.

O.K., enough old-fart rambling - now cut the cards already!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 01:47:41 PM »

ibrahimjaber

• Paranoid Polly
Welcome to The Discourse & Have a great time :)