Madison Rounders by Daniel Madison/Ellusionist

Author (Read 26026 times)

Re: Madison Rounders by Ellusionist
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Red Artifice Public Release. Artifice Second Editions. Purple Artifice. New Fathom box (coming soon). New Sultan Republics (also - coming soon). Blue LTD. Thinner Bordered Shadow Masters.

Whilst I take your point, I meant I don't imagine the feedback is going to change the design of the deck (as is right now) too much as I was (admittedly guessing) it was already in print. Most (maybe all?) of those examples you mentioned above were not based on feedback given pre-release.

In a nutshell, i'd imagine it may chance the second edition but not this one.

Did you notice he included the public release of Red Artifice - something that happened PRE-RELEASE?  The rest occurred after an initial release received public feedback.

If the deck was reviewed really, REALLY poorly for some bizarre reason, you can bet that it would be under serious consideration to yank the release and tweak it, a la Theory 11/Gold Monarchs.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2013, 08:51:47 PM »

vmagic

I'd hazard a guess that they won't be changing too many things based on feedback, more it's a way of building some hype a little differently than in the past.

Red Artifice Public Release. Artifice Second Editions. Purple Artifice. New Fathom box (coming soon). New Sultan Republics (also - coming soon). Blue LTD. Thinner Bordered Shadow Masters.

These are all items that would not exist/have been changed had it not been for Feedback. In fact, probably 60% of our decks (and plans) change -usually in very minor ways- because of customer Feedback. We've scrapped entire print-runs and told USPC to fix things because of early feedback on two decks that I can recall. Just saying - when we ask for feedback, or say that we're listening to feedback - we actually listen. It's much easier to sell something to someone when they're entirely happy with the product, rather then them thinking it's 'so-so'. We like Win-Wins. (Also, Wynns.)

Interested by why Caveat Emptor is on on the Ace.

Revealed shortly. Watch for it.

The hype/marketing you mentioned isn't free - it's probably costing them a good couple of bucks per pack...

And then some. It's a few bucks just for shipping. Plus those Bubble-mailers, plus Daniel's time individually hand-signing each note, plus of course the decks themselves. We could have accomplished similar by just posting some pics on Facebook and making people drool and get themselves in a frenzy over them... but where's the fun in that?

Don - as a Black Club member, yours is undoubtedly sitting in that post box 2 counties away.

Victor - we couldn't remember whether Canada was North or South, so took a punt. Your package is apparently sitting in a small town in Mexico. Looks like the coin-flip failed. North. Who knew? Sorry, you get nothing.

-Jake

Well that's a little harsh. Anyway, the way I understood it everyone in the Black Club was getting these, as one of the club perks. Isn't exactly fair that only a few people get them. Hell even the USPC is sending out free decks, first the Club 808 and now a whole brick of Standards, why can't you do the same, after all we paid you almost 10 times what we paid them for a membership! And maybe if I get nothing, you won't get nothing any more from me!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:52:26 PM by vmagic »

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
This is hilarious. I am a bit sour, only because of how badly I want this deck in my hand...but reading this post has taken the edge off...FUNNY!
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2013, 09:25:18 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
I'd hazard a guess that they won't be changing too many things based on feedback, more it's a way of building some hype a little differently than in the past.

These are all items that would not exist/have been changed had it not been for Feedback. In fact, probably 60% of our decks (and plans) change -usually in very minor ways- because of customer Feedback. We've scrapped entire print-runs and told USPC to fix things because of early feedback on two decks that I can recall. Just saying - when we ask for feedback, or say that we're listening to feedback - we actually listen. It's much easier to sell something to someone when they're entirely happy with the product, rather then them thinking it's 'so-so'. We like Win-Wins. (Also, Wynns.)

The hype/marketing you mentioned isn't free - it's probably costing them a good couple of bucks per pack...

And then some. It's a few bucks just for shipping. Plus those Bubble-mailers, plus Daniel's time individually hand-signing each note, plus of course the decks themselves. We could have accomplished similar by just posting some pics on Facebook and making people drool and get themselves in a frenzy over them... but where's the fun in that?

Don - as a Black Club member, yours is undoubtedly sitting in that post box 2 counties away.

Victor - we couldn't remember whether Canada was North or South, so took a punt. Your package is apparently sitting in a small town in Mexico. Looks like the coin-flip failed. North. Who knew? Sorry, you get nothing.

-Jake

Well that's a little harsh. Anyway, the way I understood it everyone in the Black Club was getting these, as one of the club perks. Isn't exactly fair that only a few people get them. Hell even the USPC is sending out free decks, first the Club 808 and now a whole brick of Standards, why can't you do the same, after all we paid you almost 10 times what we paid them for a membership! And maybe if I get nothing, you won't get nothing any more from me!

You CANT think he was serious, can you?
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2013, 10:03:35 PM »

Xntrix

• True Member

• Facebook:
Well that's a little harsh. Anyway, the way I understood it everyone in the Black Club was getting these, as one of the club perks. Isn't exactly fair that only a few people get them.

It goes without saying... the Facepalm is implied.

-Jake.
To enquire about Ellusionist sponsorship,  provide feedback or just have a chat - please email me at Jake {at} ellusionist.com

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2013, 10:04:12 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

-Jake

He takes everything serious and gets pissed off at everyone. any chance he can take to be mad.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2013, 10:32:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Whoa, Nelly...  Can we get back to topic, folks?

The humor was subtle, but yes, Jake was KIDDING...

I'm itching to get to the post office now...  Tomorrow...

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2013, 10:48:14 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
Wait a minute!!

So international members of the black club, get the chance to get something like this??

Wow.. im considering joining, but i just want to be 100% sure of this, anyone care to confirm?... It would be amazing if we could get extra stuff from the membership.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:48:41 PM by hecrob »
Form Follows Function

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2013, 11:39:12 PM »

Xntrix

• True Member

• Facebook:
All Black Club members were sent a deck courtesy of Daniel (and us, of course) - this includes international customers.

Yes, there are indeed 'unpublished' perks of the Black Club, but we prefer not to spoil any surprises - which is why noone received an email shipping confirmation - didjya notice? ;)

We can neither confirm nor deny the existence of future privileges - but I can say that the Rounders were only sent to existing members of the Black Club - 'gotta be in it to win it' sort of thing.

As it is you still get minimum 5% off all purchases (excluding Gift Cards), 24 hours pre-release purchase window for all new releases (and most sales, where we can) and of course access to the Black Club store - which is ever-expanding (oh - and the Welcome Kit, 3 Free Downloads etc, etc). We've got plenty more planned as well - so yeah, it pays to be a member.

Release date is still under wraps for Rounders for a little while longer and as always - Black Club will be getting first bite of the cherry when they're released (along with some other goodies finally coming out as well).

-Jake
To enquire about Ellusionist sponsorship,  provide feedback or just have a chat - please email me at Jake {at} ellusionist.com

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »

vmagic

Whoa, Nelly...  Can we get back to topic, folks?

The humor was subtle, but yes, Jake was KIDDING...

I'm itching to get to the post office now...  Tomorrow...

Sorry I didn't know he was kidding. Great news, thanks for confirming it Jake! Sorry I missed your joke earlier.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:41:32 PM by vmagic »

« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2013, 12:41:04 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
All Black Club members were sent a deck courtesy of Daniel (and us, of course) - this includes international customers.

That's incredible considering individual shipping costs for international packages. When were the decks sent out?
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2013, 03:34:09 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I love the fact that Ellusionist is getting us involved in feedback before the official release of a deck. I don't know what else they are going to offer (besides the already many options) for Black Club members. But this makes me consider it. I don't think, though, that if I had known that I would be getting this free, that I would be convinced to buy the membership. But I do know that this and possible future perks definitely makes me very interested.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2013, 08:25:31 AM »

Creature13

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I'm excited to check out this deck. And Black Club sounds very inviting for sure.
--
MJ

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2013, 09:13:11 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Ooooo I think mine came in th post :)) can't wait to get back to Birmingham - roll on Sunday night :) I'm glad I bought th black club membership now :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2013, 10:11:46 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
He,he, my deck is already in NY! :)

This one and almost 120 other decks, most from E. I can wait to get the big package from my friend will all this decks.

"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »

sway

• Forum Regular

Now that is what I call CRM.

I'm pleased they didn't ostracize us international Black Club members  :D

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »

Vflo2048

• Newcomer
  • Perfection is what we want it to be.

• Facebook:
Lol my favorite line from
The prestige. 
Oops I dropped the cards. 
Find me on Instagram: MIEINACE
http://m.youtube.com/#/user/MIEINACE?feature=guide

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2013, 10:59:53 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
The deck looks fantastic. It was also nice to surprise the members with an unpublished give away. Because of that, I am very enticed to join, but I'll see to it. Only time will tell. Tell Daniel that he's done a fabulous job.

P.S. - I love the faces on the court cards.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2013, 12:53:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Simple, elegant, not flashy, and performs well.  I like mine.

I have to say though - if you're going to do custom court faces, do ALL of them.  He left one of the Jacks unchanged!

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2013, 11:00:44 AM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular

I have to say though - if you're going to do custom court faces, do ALL of them.  He left one of the Jacks unchanged!

I haven't seen the cards yet but it's a little odd to do all custom courts except one. I wonder if there is a reason for it? again without seeing them I have no frame of reference, just a thought.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:01:05 AM by S.C. »

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
That's a shame. Your given a deck to give an honest review on, and you just trade it in for some money. I guess we saw it coming though.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2013, 02:14:47 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
Not surprising people are trying to sell theirs for a quick dollar. Sad, but entirely unsurprising.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2013, 04:04:42 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
I love the description for one of the auctions: "Deck is a rare promo item for Black Club members and has not been released to the general public"

More like, "Deck was sent out to Black Club members for early review and testing, it will then be sold to the public at a later date."
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2013, 09:19:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I haven't seen the cards yet but it's a little odd to do all custom courts except one. I wonder if there is a reason for it? again without seeing them I have no frame of reference, just a thought.

They're custom in the same way as Blaine's decks.  Standard courts with different faces/heads.

Wow. It didn't take long for the Black Club members to hop onto ebay.

You'd think that you'd want to keep such an awesome gift.

Anyone paying those prices is an idiot who deserves to be parted from his money.  And yes, you'd think that, but some people are stupid.  "Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"