You are Here:
Mystery Deck By Dan & Dave

Author (Read 16542 times)

Re: Mystery Deck By Dan & Dave
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2013, 06:44:45 AM »

Angel_magic

• Forum Regular
I talked to Syd about this on a previous occasion (although I don't quite remember when it was), and if I recall correctly, he told me that at that time he was pretty much completely responsible for packaging and shipping all orders out, with some help from the Bucks when they are able. With that in mind, considering the nature of the mystery deck, since every single deck must be hand wrapped (and they look quite nicely wrapped in the pictures) I can imagine why it's taking so long for a virtually one man team to get all the orders out.
Check out my thread with a BUNCH of rare decks and accessories for sale!
http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=11812.0

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2013, 10:21:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I talked to Syd about this on a previous occasion (although I don't quite remember when it was), and if I recall correctly, he told me that at that time he was pretty much completely responsible for packaging and shipping all orders out, with some help from the Bucks when they are able. With that in mind, considering the nature of the mystery deck, since every single deck must be hand wrapped (and they look quite nicely wrapped in the pictures) I can imagine why it's taking so long for a virtually one man team to get all the orders out.

I'd wager that they hired holiday help for all the new releases.  They'd have been insane not to.  But even with that, they were not expecting the volume they got.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2013, 10:30:20 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I did get my order yesterday. I'd guess that the Mystery deck wrapping was one of those things that you think up and it sounds awesome. Then you sit down and realize you have to do this time-consuming process on EVERY deck and it suddenly becomes not so fun. I've made that mistake a couple times. :)

On the decks, I ordered a v7 set (which actually is very nicely done) and just one mystery deck. I got an Aladdin 1001. Boo.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2013, 04:54:34 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Ya'll are disappointed with the decks you got, but for guys like me, that don't have hardly anything from Dan and Dave, whatever we get (if it ever comes) will be a score. Each deck was only 6 bucks so it's gotta be worth. It.

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2013, 05:43:01 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
Ya'll are disappointed with the decks you got, but for guys like me, that don't have hardly anything from Dan and Dave, whatever we get (if it ever comes) will be a score. Each deck was only 6 bucks so it's gotta be worth. It.
I wont be complaining either.   I used my buck points so each deck only cost $2.70 each.   Cant really complain about that no matter what decks I get  :)
- Adam

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2013, 05:58:10 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!

I felt the same way about you because other than a few S&Ms and the decks that I received, I didn't have that many "Dan and Dave decks." I hoped to have received some older, less common decks or something cool from their collection. But I didn't think I'd get decks they still sell. Multiples? Yes. Something not rare but uncommon? Maybe. But not one of the decks they still offer....

Oh well! Like I said, at least I get some new decks to toss around and trash!
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
I see quite a few people are getting multiple decks.   I don't know about the rest of you.......but I sure wouldn't mind getting multiple Jerry's Nugget decks    ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:01:55 PM by Knobz1 »
- Adam

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2013, 07:25:03 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
I see quite a few people are getting multiple decks.   I don't know about the rest of you.......but I sure wouldn't mind getting multiple Jerry's Nugget decks    ;)

implying that they even put multiple jerry's nugget decks in the entire mystery deck pool. honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the one deck they used for the ad was the only JN deck they used.

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2013, 07:48:43 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty

implying that they even put multiple jerry's nugget decks in the entire mystery deck pool. honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the one deck they used for the ad was the only JN deck they used.
And your totally right.   We will never know how many they threw in to the mix.   Could be one, could be 10, heck........could be none just to draw people in.   How are we to know?   It sure would put me at ease to see at least someone on here get a Jerry's, S&M or some other rare deck.   Still holding out hope.
- Adam

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I got an Aladdin 1001. Boo.

Dude, that's good!

Anyway, my friend got his first lot today, 3 decks.
He received a Black Acorn Back, Red Vintage Plaid and Dodger Blue AFC.
Not bad.
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2013, 08:54:02 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I wonder why they didn't pre-wrap the decks beforehand.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Oh it seems that they bumped up the shipping to the 5th of Jan!
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2013, 11:28:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Oh it seems that they bumped up the shipping to the 5th of Jan!

I expected they'd change the expected ship date, because they expected they'd have a lot less people expecting to get this deck in a timely manner...  I'm expecting them to ship while I'm still young...ish...  I think I'm expecting to get disappointed, because I, like many here, was expecting a much better deck selection, rather than them expecting we'd take anything that they made and call it a day...

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »

Wildereachday

• Newcomer
Still waiting on mine to arrive...

« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

D&D take a while, since 100% of their shipping is done by Syd. Their big new releases generally take around 1-2 weeks of just handling time.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2013, 04:08:54 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

D&D take a while, since 100% of their shipping is done by Syd. Their big new releases generally take around 1-2 weeks of just handling time.

He said they generally try to get stuff out within seven business days.  Initially, this was to ship on the 2nd.  This meant that orders would have been totally filled by the 11th.  But now they changed the website - after the decks were already sold out - and change the ship date to the 5th.  Odd, since it's not even a "business day", unless they count Saturdays now (in which case shipping should have been completed by tomorrow, the 10th.  Seven business days after the 5th (counting Saturdays, since they work on Saturdays) means the decks should be fully shipped by the 14th.

Bloody nuisance.

« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2013, 05:39:47 PM »

Ben K

• True Member
I am with everyone, between the delay and selection I am disappointed. I don't want to be overcharged for the bike anniversary decks because they want to unload them in disguise as a mystery.

Meh, can't complain to much though. We still have a chance to get some great decks.

I want to send Syd a thank you note, makes me feel bad he has to handle all that shipping.
“To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought.”
― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume

« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2013, 10:06:20 AM »

Strag

• True Member
I am with everyone, between the delay and selection I am disappointed. I don't want to be overcharged for the bike anniversary decks because they want to unload them in disguise as a mystery.

Meh, can't complain to much though. We still have a chance to get some great decks.

I want to send Syd a thank you note, makes me feel bad he has to handle all that shipping.

I had a very nice interchange with Syd and my decks shipped yesterday.  Hopefully I get something good.

« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I had a very nice interchange with Syd and my decks shipped yesterday.  Hopefully I get something good.

Syd's an alright guy - just overworked, from the sound of it.  Mine shipped, but I can't track it yet - this tells me it probably shipped in the last day or so and tracking isn't live for it yet.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:03:16 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
Still not shipped for me, 19 days later...
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Got an e-mail today, from D&D, confirming the shipment of my Mystery Decks.
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2013, 02:36:21 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:

I've heard the same thing from a fair number of people, so the decks are moving, although mine still seem to remain unshipped.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2013, 10:19:31 PM »

Ben K

• True Member

I've heard the same thing from a fair number of people, so the decks are moving, although mine still seem to remain unshipped.

Same here. Mine shipped today. Think we are the last round picks here.
“To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought.”
― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume

« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2013, 10:35:07 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
Last round picks but first ones to purchase.
- Adam

« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2013, 12:15:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Last round picks but first ones to purchase.

That might be to your benefit.  Practically no one here scored truly rare decks, in particular that Holy Grail deck with the butt-ugly backs and the awesome finish, so this may increase your odds!  :))