You are Here:

Poll

Are you a left hander or a right hander?

Lefty
4 (22.2%)
Righty
14 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Lefty?

Author (Read 1937 times)

Lefty?
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:04:11 PM »

redtank151

• True Member
  • Something Funny here

• YouTube:
I've always wanted to know how much of the card community is left handed,

those are the more known ones, by the way I am a left-hander but I write with my right hand, I was born a left hander but I had a nanny who was superstitious and left handers bring bad luck or something so I was forced the write with my recessive hand and thats how its been ever since, I do almost everything else left handed. By the way, my handwriting looks exactly the same writing with my left hand and my right hand, but its more tiring to write with my left hand.

So now you know about me, I want to know about you
Something even more funny here

Re: Lefty?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:37:40 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I am righty. Although it is often perceived as a disadvantage to be a lefty, especially for learning flourishes and such, but as a national-level judoka, I wish I were a lefty or ambidextrous as it is usually an enormous advantage.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »

LeonJL

• Elite Member
  • En ce monde il n'est point de parfaite sagesse...
I was born a lefty as well but I was trained to use my right hand instead when I was young but someone in my family(not sure who). I write with my right hand but occasionally, while doing certain things, I still tend to do it way better with my left hand, dribbling a basketball for example. And while doing cuts while flourishing, I tend to do it better with my left hand as well, although I fan better with my right.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 01:39:39 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I am a righty but i do a lot of magic left handed.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:05:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Interesting pattern developing here...

Statistically, about one in twenty people are left handed, and about one or two percent are fully ambi-dextrous.

I'm a lefty in many things, but ambidextrous in many others.  I write left-handed, but my right arm is stronger than my left.

The reason some of you were lefties who were taught to write with the right hand is that the left hand was considered by some superstitious religious people to be the hand of the devil, and having it as a dominant hand was thought of as a mark of the devil.  While few rational people think this any longer, there are still many superstitious people who maintain the unhappy tradition.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 12:30:34 PM »

redtank151

• True Member
  • Something Funny here

• YouTube:
Interesting pattern developing here...

Statistically, about one in twenty people are left handed, and about one or two percent are fully ambi-dextrous.

I'm a lefty in many things, but ambidextrous in many others.  I write left-handed, but my right arm is stronger than my left.

The reason some of you were lefties who were taught to write with the right hand is that the left hand was considered by some superstitious religious people to be the hand of the devil, and having it as a dominant hand was thought of as a mark of the devil.  While few rational people think this any longer, there are still many superstitious people who maintain the unhappy tradition.

From the statistics you have given being left-handed seems to be pretty rare, yet the poll so far has proven otherwise. But I guess we only got a very tiny ratio of all humans ever in the poll, so we cannot say we have definitive results here.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
It seems most Internet sources disagree with you and say that between 10 and 20% of people in the world are leftys. I was actually surprised by this poll on this page: most moves in magic and cardistry are taught from a righty point of view so I was expecting many Perry's to give up cuz of this.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 06:50:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It seems most Internet sources disagree with you and say that between 10 and 20% of people in the world are leftys. I was actually surprised by this poll on this page: most moves in magic and cardistry are taught from a righty point of view so I was expecting many Perry's to give up cuz of this.

First of all, what's a Perry?

Second of all, even the Internet sources don't agree, because hard statistics are not easy to come by.  Suffice it to say that it's not the more common of the two single-handednesses.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
First of all, what's a Perry?
Stupid autocorrect... I meant to write "lefty".

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:51:47 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Apparently Andrei Jihk is a lefty...
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 04:13:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I believe that Lee Asher is as well.  Believe it or not, for certain sleights of hand, being left-handed is actually an advantage, not a handicap.  Lee I think said as much in his booklet for the sleight "Losing Control".

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 06:22:53 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
It explains why Andrei's style of cardistry is so unique. His giant springs go from right to left whereas people like Jeremy T. Go from left to right.
Joker and the Thief

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 07:41:20 AM »

redtank151

• True Member
  • Something Funny here

• YouTube:
It explains why Andrei's style of cardistry is so unique. His giant springs go from right to left whereas people like Jeremy T. Go from left to right.

So was Darwin Ortiz,  Marilyn Monroe, Mozart, Isaac Newton, Beethoven, Albert Einstein, Charlie Chaplin and Benjamin Franklin. Also Bart Simpson. Famous left handers who have made their mark on the world. Of course there are probably a lot more right handers who left their mark on the world.

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 08:27:37 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

So was Darwin Ortiz,  Marilyn Monroe, Mozart, Isaac Newton, Beethoven, Albert Einstein, Charlie Chaplin and Benjamin Franklin. Also Bart Simpson. Famous left handers who have made their mark on the world. Of course there are probably a lot more right handers who left their mark on the world.

Haha I first thought, "I didn't know Marilyn Monroe could do giant springs..."...
Joker and the Thief

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 08:51:25 AM »

redtank151

• True Member
  • Something Funny here

• YouTube:

Haha I first thought, "I didn't know Marilyn Monroe could do giant springs..."...

Maybe she can and we just don't know it * Dramatic Music * ITS A CONSPIRACY!

Only playing but on a slightly serious note, there are famous left-handers in the world. If any lefty is out there who is discouraged from doing magic or flourishing because of your handed-ness, Magicians look at Darwin Ortiz and Flourishers look at Andrei Jikh. Do they look like they are at a disadvantage to you?

PS: Small hands are a rubbish excuse. Unless you really are like a small child then I'm sorry.

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

Maybe she can and we just don't know it * Dramatic Music * ITS A CONSPIRACY!

Only playing but on a slightly serious note, there are famous left-handers in the world. If any lefty is out there who is discouraged from doing magic or flourishing because of your handed-ness, Magicians look at Darwin Ortiz and Flourishers look at Andrei Jikh. Do they look like they are at a disadvantage to you?

PS: Small hands are a rubbish excuse. Unless you really are like a small child then I'm sorry.

Haha yes, but draw inspiration from righties and create your own unique style!
Joker and the Thief