You are Here:
Deck Review Threads - Single or Multiple?

Author (Read 2664 times)

Deck Review Threads - Single or Multiple?
« on: June 16, 2012, 01:56:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I stated this recently in another topic and felt it deserved a topic of its own.

Now, everyone knows (or SHOULD know) that in a sales topic, it's considered a breach of etiquette to drop in on someone's sale and offer the same items without making a topic of your own.

I've been wondering: do you feel it is (or should be) the same for deck review topics?  Would you prefer that every reviewer go and make their own topic, that all reviews for a single deck should be in their own topic, or that something in-between or entirely different should be the case?  What are your reasons for having that opinion?

I'm very curious to know the answer.

Personally, I like the idea that we have one topic for a deck, and that all reviews for that deck be grouped into that topic.  It makes searching for reviews incredibly simple - they'd all be in one place.  It also keeps down on topic clutter - we don't really need three, four, five, etc. topics all reviewing a single deck, do we?

CURT: if you feel this isn't the best board for this topic, please move it for me!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Deck Review Threads - Single or Multiple?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 02:01:19 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I think that each reviewer should make their own threads for each of their reviews but put their name or channel name next to it.

EXAMPLE:

Mechanic Deck Review- MagicAddictz2

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 02:12:40 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I think there should be a review sections just like sales section - separate the reviews from new decks info &etc.
And people can post their reviews there, not in the deck's main topic, not in other review topic made by other people.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 02:14:45 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Hey,

I really try to not link to UC too often here, but this time it calls for it.
UC has a section for reviews.. but..  there is a sticky thread at the top of the section where the decks are listed in alphabetical order, and then who reviewed it.

I think it would be great if Aether adapted the same thing.

Here's the link
http://www.unitedcardists.net/uc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6962

and a pic...

CBJ
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:16:58 AM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 02:31:17 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I say we go with that. UC knows what they are doing.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 02:33:49 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I would say have a thread like UCs, but other than that, do what Evan said. (I changed my mind from previously).

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 03:57:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think that each reviewer should make their own threads for each of their reviews but put their name or channel name next to it.

EXAMPLE:

Mechanic Deck Review- MagicAddictz2

It's pretty easy to figure out whose review it is without that.  Just look at the poster who created the topic.  It's a rare thing for someone else to start a topic about a person's review, don't you think?

I'm getting from the general consensus so far that you'd want:
  • one sticky thread as an index
  • people posting their reviews on new topics rather than a common topic for each deck
  • deck reviews made by members should have a new board
It would be hard to say everyone wants this, since so far only a few replied!  But I'm interested if future comments would match or be different from what's been offered so far.

Give me comments, people!

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 11:27:51 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I really don't think that there is a need for a separate thread for all deck reviews. I everyone should be able to make their own thread for their own review and that will be for their review only. There really aren't that many reviewers who post their reviews here. If more come, then we should start thinking about another option.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 01:14:27 PM »

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:
There are only like 4-5 deck reviewers on this forum and not many of them post reviews at the same time or often. So in my opinion, posting a brand new thread for your own deck review is okay for now.

As for review swooping, like if I made a thread on a gold arcane deck review and someone else posts their review in the same thread, I wouldn't care, as long as our opinions and findings are similar. If their opinion  is drastically different then I prefer it they post in their own topic.
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I agree that as long as the Reviewers Board gets put up, it isn't necessary for us to have a post like UC's. But if members absolutely want one, it would be nice for it to be a sticky.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 01:21:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I agree that as long as the Reviewers Board gets put up, it isn't necessary for us to have a post like UC's. But if members absolutely want one, it would be nice for it to be a sticky.

We have sticky topics, not sticky boards or sticky posts...  :))

Someone mentioned previously that they'd like a new board - or maybe just a sub-board of PCP - to keep all reviews in.  We actually get a fair amount of reviews these days, so it's not exactly out of the question, especially seeing that most respondents so far expressed a preference for individual topics for each review.  I'd bet that if I went through the PCP and singled out all the review posts, it would add up to a pretty decent percentage overall - at least 5-10% would be my guess.  That's one review topic for every 10 to 20 topics.  It doesn't sound like a lot, but factor in that there's over 2,500 topics overall, nearly two-thirds of which are in the PCP, and that gives you between 83 and 166 topics that are all about deck reviews.

Those numbers would be significant enough to consider putting a deck review sub-board into the PCP, at least in my opinion.

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 01:36:13 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

Someone mentioned previously that they'd like a new board - or maybe just a sub-board of PCP - to keep all reviews in.  We actually get a fair amount of reviews these days, so it's not exactly out of the question, especially seeing that most respondents so far expressed a preference for individual topics for each review.  I'd bet that if I went through the PCP and singled out all the review posts, it would add up to a pretty decent percentage overall - at least 5-10% would be my guess.  That's one review topic for every 10 to 20 topics.  It doesn't sound like a lot, but factor in that there's over 2,500 topics overall, nearly two-thirds of which are in the PCP, and that gives you between 83 and 166 topics that are all about deck reviews.

Those numbers would be significant enough to consider putting a deck review sub-board into the PCP, at least in my opinion.
School's over, why bother with all the math??? ;) I believe heard a while ago Curt saying that this board was already existing, and it just needed Alex to make it visible to all of us.

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 02:30:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

School's over, why bother with all the math??? ;) I believe heard a while ago Curt saying that this board was already existing, and it just needed Alex to make it visible to all of us.

Wow.  I weep for America's youth...

The board Curt mentioned has sort of a different purpose - remember that review program thing that Alex mentioned a while back?  I could be wrong, but I think that's what it was created for, and it's still on the staff side of the Discourse - meaning you guys can't see it.  It's like invisible, man...  :))

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

83 to 166 topics really isn't that many! Consider how long the Discourse has been up.

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 01:29:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

83 to 166 topics really isn't that many! Consider how long the Discourse has been up.

Nine months, give or take.  Those topics would take up between 5 and 9 pages of topics - Magic/Cardistry only has 10 so far.  I'd bet we get more new review topics than we get new MCB topics by now.

PCP is freakin' huge - FIFTY PAGES of topics.  More than the entire rest of the boards, I'd bet.  I wouldn't consider it inappropriate to make a special sub-board just for deck reviews.