Terrible print job on V-slims.

Author (Read 1412 times)

Terrible print job on V-slims.
« on: March 10, 2012, 06:26:01 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
So today i got yet another package of v-slims *for those of you who know me i buy them often* and in it contained a terribly printed red deck. Not only was the gold and red inks not printed correctly but the cards were stuck together. The main point to this topic is asking if anyone else has had this problem before because this is the first deck out of many that i opened that are like this.
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

Re: Terrible print job on V-slims.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
So today i got yet another package of v-slims *for those of you who know me i buy them often* and in it contained a terribly printed red deck. Not only was the gold and red inks not printed correctly but the cards were stuck together. The main point to this topic is asking if anyone else has had this problem before because this is the first deck out of many that i opened that are like this.
Yes. One of my v-slims is the same. The cards stick together and there borders of the red on the back is kinda messed up.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I don't know this for sure but printing cards was probably less advanced than it is now. But... how could a batch of those not get caught as a bad one?

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 12:54:13 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
V-Slims have no cellophane and wax paper, the cards stick together if not properly stored.  :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck:

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 12:58:41 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I don't know this for sure but printing cards was probably less advanced than it is now. But... how could a batch of those not get caught as a bad one?
Who said anything about a batch? I'm pretty sure John was talking about a single deck; it was the only bad one in his order. Maybe it didn't get caught in quality control because it was a problem specific to that one deck.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 01:26:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Who said anything about a batch? I'm pretty sure John was talking about a single deck; it was the only bad one in his order. Maybe it didn't get caught in quality control because it was a problem specific to that one deck.

If Nathan had the same issue, it wasn't isolated to a single deck.  Print alignment errors often aren't one-deck bloopers because of the automated assembly-line process by which they're made, particularly when these decks were made - before computer-guided error-detection sensors.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 07:10:34 AM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
Perhaps they are both having a similiar issue because there was something going wrong when these were printed? Like each were from a different batch but the printing process usually contained an error.  It would be nearly impossible to find those few decks per batch, and expensive to kill the whole batch for just a few decks. I am only speculating, I have no idea.
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 09:27:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Perhaps they are both having a similiar issue because there was something going wrong when these were printed? Like each were from a different batch but the printing process usually contained an error.  It would be nearly impossible to find those few decks per batch, and expensive to kill the whole batch for just a few decks. I am only speculating, I have no idea.

Of COURSE it was a printing error!  The ink doesn't just move around on the paper after it was printed, does it?  :))  It's not impossible they were part of the same batch, since there was probably only one batch printed - it was a promotional deck for a tobacco product, not a regular-production item like Bicycle Rider Backs.  They don't usually get printed in large numbers.

It could even be possible that depending on the precise similarity of the errors, they were printed within seconds of each other on the assembly line.  Quality control doesn't check every pack, just a random sampling, and the higher the "Q" grade number, the lower the quality control used in its production.  I'm pretty sure they didn't use Q1 controls for this deck - it's pretty expensive compared to the lower levels (they go down to Q4, I believe).

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran
I've got 3 VSlims but have never noticed this issue, I'm sure it's as others have said.
UC

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 02:32:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I've got 3 VSlims but have never noticed this issue, I'm sure it's as others have said.

I'm sure most of them printed just fine, or there'd be way more buzz about this online.  At some point, everyone here must have opened a deck and found a defect in it.  I've had it happen a fair number of times.  Worst case was a Bicycle Standard deck with a groove cut into several of the consecutive cards, like some piece of machinery sprang loose on the assembly line and carved a path through the paper after printing.  USPC was very quick to issue a new pack, as per their guarantee.

For USPC-made decks that aren't their own issue, you have to contact the company that ordered them made.