Black Erdanese Acorn Deck Review- MagicAddictz
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:11:03 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Hey everyone, check out my review of the Black Erdanese Acorn Deck Review! Enjoy and please subscribe.
Let me know what you think of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a92Zubqo1-0

Re: Black Erdanese Acorn Deck Review- MagicAddictz
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:45:05 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Good review. But on the back of the cards, it's "SWE", not just "SE"  :t11: :t11:

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:49:24 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Jut got my hands one some of those yesterday too. I opened and played around with the cambric one and I must agree with all that u say. Looks good, feels good, is good. Further more it's just slightly more expensive than a bicycle or Aladdin deck where I stay. So I would def get more of those in the near future.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:06:12 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Besides... (I always think this is common knowledge for card collectors), small pips were used long long time ago though I don't know when they were changed to the normal size we currently see.

The small pips may be found on many reprints, such as the Bicycle 125 Anniversary (the first Bicycle 808, Fan Back) and Marlboro Texan No.45. Of course, small pips may also be found in the illustrations of The Expert at the Card Table book.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:48:06 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
small pips are the way to go man. they look so much better in fans and the larger pips on the cards also allow spectators from afar to see the number of pips better.

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 12:03:47 AM »

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:
I never looked at the joker as a card reveal. Very cool.  8)

That deck is a beast
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 03:52:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Here's a small detail - I couldn't hear the video at work, so I don't know if you caught this or not.

Because of the metallic inks used on the deck, this is the first CARC deck to use Magic Finish.  And it's on both the "Cambric" and "Ivory" versions of the deck, making the Ivory one the first Magic Finish deck printed on smooth paper!

I happen to really like the handling on this deck in particular.  The Ivories are a bit stiff, but that's practically to be expected for the Bee stock used.  One you've worked on them a little, they handle like a dream.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 04:00:16 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
nice deck review ,, did cardndecks gave you the deck?

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 08:22:21 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
May I ask if all magic finish deck feels like that? because this is my first conjuring arts deck, first bee deck and first magic finish deck.

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
May I ask if all magic finish deck feels like that? because this is my first conjuring arts deck, first bee deck and first magic finish deck.

Pretty much, but you also have the benefit of high quality Bee stock on the CARC deck.  Any modern deck with metallic inks will almost certainly have Magic Finish - without it they perform like crap.

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 10:46:16 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
JAQK has magic finish too ?

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 01:47:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I couldn't tell you about the originals, but the T11 reprints probably do.  Unless they really handle poorly and clump a lot, in which case, no, no magic finish.  They have metallic ink, right?

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 02:12:21 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

I couldn't tell you about the originals, but the T11 reprints probably do.  Unless they really handle poorly and clump a lot, in which case, no, no magic finish.  They have metallic ink, right?
yes they have metalic ink, and handle great.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 04:35:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

There you have it, Hawjinjian.  Perhaps next time you'd consider posting your question on the topic about JAQK cards.  This one's about the black/silver Erdnase decks from CARC.  Someone else over there may be curious to know the answer, or have the precise answer rather than my assumption.  But they may never know, because you asked here instead.

I can't confirm with total certainty about the T11 JAQKs, but I'd assume they're magic finished if they're both metallic and smooth-handling.  It's the reason CARC went with magic finish with these two decks - otherwise, they don't touch the stuff.

It's kind of interesting, though - now they're using metallic ink.  Have they run out of all other possible color combinations with their countless previous releases of nearly identical decks of Erdnase Bees?  :))  What's next: holographic cards?  Force Field Finish?

They keep doing it because it's making them money, but it's really jumped the shark by now.  They should look into other designs and ideas.  The Pro Bikes were awesome, the Erdnaseum deck was a step in a different direction, but enough with the Smith backs and the Acorn backs and the whatever-else backs...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:37:08 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

There you have it, Hawjinjian.  Perhaps next time you'd consider posting your question on the topic about JAQK cards.  This one's about the black/silver Erdnase decks from CARC.  Someone else over there may be curious to know the answer, or have the precise answer rather than my assumption.  But they may never know, because you asked here instead.

I can't confirm with total certainty about the T11 JAQKs, but I'd assume they're magic finished if they're both metallic and smooth-handling.  It's the reason CARC went with magic finish with these two decks - otherwise, they don't touch the stuff.

It's kind of interesting, though - now they're using metallic ink.  Have they run out of all other possible color combinations with their countless previous releases of nearly identical decks of Erdnase Bees?  :))  What's next: holographic cards?  Force Field Finish?

They keep doing it because it's making them money, but it's really jumped the shark by now.  They should look into other designs and ideas.  The Pro Bikes were awesome, the Erdnaseum deck was a step in a different direction, but enough with the Smith backs and the Acorn backs and the whatever-else backs...
On the T11 website it says this about the JAQK decks, "brand new stock, feel, and finish that rivals the rest of our classic cards"

Also about the Acorn backs, they did say that the black may be their last deck in that series.

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 02:11:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
On the T11 website it says this about the JAQK decks, "brand new stock, feel, and finish that rivals the rest of our classic cards"

Also about the Acorn backs, they did say that the black may be their last deck in that series.

I suspect there's more ad-speak there than fact.  The stock used is likely just a new variant of an existing stock and they're trying to promote it as new stock.  In a way it is, but in a way it isn't.  I think it very likely they used Magic Finish, but I can't confirm that.

Re the Acorn backs: last deck in the Acorn series or last deck in the entire Erdnase series?  I can't imagine they're still selling as well as the earliest models.  They were some nice decks, but there's only so many color variants you can make using just a few back designs before people lose interest.  They're like the American Anglo!  :))