You are Here:
Bicycle Big Gun Decks

Author (Read 11838 times)

Re: Bicycle Big Gun Decks
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I am getting many requests to sell some of the cards that I picked up, and I don't mind.  However, I have a question for the forum...  I am not a fan gouging people just because I was fortunate enough to benefit from picking up some of these decks, so what do you feel would be a fair price to sell the decks for?  With all do respect, I did lay out the money... I'm going to pack them, take them to the post office to ship them... So what would be a fair price for a set of these cards (which happen to be awesome by the way)... Thanks, J.

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 02:19:37 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
I am getting many requests to sell some of the cards that I picked up, and I don't mind.  However, I have a question for the forum...  I am not a fan gouging people just because I was fortunate enough to benefit from picking up some of these decks, so what do you feel would be a fair price to sell the decks for?  With all do respect, I did lay out the money... I'm going to pack them, take them to the post office to ship them... So what would be a fair price for a set of these cards (which happen to be awesome by the way)... Thanks, J.
You are lucky enough. If you list them on eBay for auctioning, I believe the end price of a pair will be higher than $14. In fact there's no reason you can not sell them on eBay at $20/pair including shipping worldwide, international buyers will say thank you to you. However, if you will sell some of them on this forum, you have to provide reasonable discount (I don't know how much it should be), because you got the information from this forum and everyone knows how much you paid.

_
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:53:49 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Just as a quick note, I ordered a couple of these last night and just got an email that they shipped out. For .99 I'll grab a couple but they look pretty boring, surprised that they would fetch much of anything online. The nature of limitedness I guess.

Edit: ok I read a little more and that is pretty interesting. 1918 is quite a ways back there isn't it? I guess I'm feeling a little more interested in these now, especially for a buck.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:35:48 PM by xmetal »
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 10:11:11 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Paul... You ought to have a little more respect for the Big Gun Deck... It's a classic, and it paved the way for you to be able to run off your deck... It's the Big Gun... Pa-pow... hahahaha....

Edit: Paul... That's better... I saw you edited your post... I was just playing, but I think you already know... Anyhow... Set of the Big Guns for a Set of the Tendrils (already a backer)... Let me know...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:15:40 PM by jmrock »

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »

xlacs

• Forum Regular
It's always funny with collectors, when they see a deck and thinks it's boring or ugly and don't buy it. But when people start buying them, that's when they start to become more interesting and desirable.

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 10:44:36 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@Lac, it's human nature :-X :-X

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 10:54:46 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
It's always funny with collectors, when they see a deck and thinks it's boring or ugly and don't buy it. But when people start buying them, that's when they start to become more interesting and desirable.
@Lac, it's human nature :-X :-X
Yeah you've got a point. Although not everybody will agree on that. I've seen that happen with some decks and I've also done that before with decks I wasn't a huge fan of. I've fallen out of that way of buying though. Now if I don't like a deck I don't buy it. This was a nice deck though and with the price tag I just couldn't pass it up.

Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 11:23:43 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@brown_bagg, I know the feelings :-[ :-[

@xmetal, you will enjoy these decks if you know it's $6400/4 vs $0.99 :(

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2012, 12:52:10 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
These last few posts are exactly the reason I would like to own a set of Ugly @$$ J.Nuggets... They are hideous, but in a weird way I feel they are a necessary part of a card collection... However, at this point in time, I cannot bring myself to pay those prices for such a ridiculous looking deck... There are decks that are works of art compared to those cards that I could buy for 1/4 of the price... But perhaps one day my compulsive nature will get the best of me and I'll spend the hundreds necessary to procure the decks... Hell, maybe I'll just go post an [ISO]... Keep a lookout...

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2012, 01:59:43 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
These last few posts are exactly the reason I would like to own a set of Ugly @$$ J.Nuggets... They are hideous, but in a weird way I feel they are a necessary part of a card collection... However, at this point in time, I cannot bring myself to pay those prices for such a ridiculous looking deck... There are decks that are works of art compared to those cards that I could buy for 1/4 of the price... But perhaps one day my compulsive nature will get the best of me and I'll spend the hundreds necessary to procure the decks... Hell, maybe I'll just go post an [ISO]... Keep a lookout...
You may buy them 10 years later. The price of JNs sets up a threshold, not everyone is willing/able to pay that amount of money for it. Besides, people own sealed JNs won't open them, so the total number of sealed JNs in the world won't decrease. It is likely you may get them 10 years later with the same price as now. ???

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2012, 09:23:46 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Yeah, there's just so many decks out there that it's tough to know the history involved in all of them. After reading a little bit it is pretty cool that they are bring back a deck from that long ago. Having that kind of company history is very cool and not many companies can look back that far in their own archives, so I appreciate that.

Now that I'm edumacated I'll enjoy my Big Guns. :)

Those Jerry's though, man. I gotta agree with jmrock, they are not very pretty cards. Desirable, interesting, collectible, but ooogly. When chatting about cards one night with my wife, I mentioned how much those were and that I'd probably not get a deck and she quipped "you sure as hell better not" so I guess that's the end of that. :)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2012, 11:32:58 AM »

ItsMagicITellYou~

• True Member
shipping was hella fast, i just got my brick a day after the shipping confirmation :o the backs look alright but im disappointed about the faces, they're all standard D: oh well!

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2012, 12:45:32 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Jerry's are ugly.  They're popular strictly because of the handling, and the magicians who used them for their handling.  Ironically, they were also popular because they were insanely cheap back then...

The Big Gun decks are utterly plain-faced, not even a custom Ace of Spades.  So what, they were FREAKIN' CHEAP.

Lushbob: it's not often that closeouts like that happen with collectible decks.  Most often, they just sell out, period.  Think of it like this - a clothing company makes a bet that a particular design will be terribly popular, and it's made as a limited edition.  They sell a few, but it's nowhere near as popular as originally thought.  They sit on store shelves, week after week, with few takers, while many of the shops selling them are charging retail or above based solely on the fact that they're limited editions and scarcer than most.  In the end, the new fashions are coming out and the old stock has to go; anything that didn't sell out gets closed out at deep discounts.  Sure, you could have waited for the price to drop, but what if this turned out to be the next Smoke & Mirrors or something?  Even if they were moderately more popular, these would have sold out and there would have been no closeout sale in which to purchase them at discount.

I get the feeling that, unfortunately, USPC won't bother to continue the Victory series based on how this one ended up.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2012, 03:14:50 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
@ItsMagicITellYou~, thank you for your sharing the information. Originally I thought it was too good to be true.
@Don, thank you for your confirming with the seller. I bought 2 bricks after that.
@jmrock, thank you for your help. You should have bought 200 bricks, hindsight is always 20/20. hahahaha :P :P

BTW, I don't have Jerry Nugget either because they are still available 10 years later at the same price as now. :P :P
_

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:15:28 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2012, 06:11:16 PM »

shutupdangit

• Elite Member
Well, I got my brick today so I'm happy!

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Well, I got my brick today so I'm happy!

Nice! How long did the shipping take? It says that I should get mine in two weeks... and I live in the states. That seems a little long, but I'm not upset about it.

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2012, 07:14:22 PM »

shutupdangit

• Elite Member
I ordered them late Monday night and got a shipping notice Tuesday evening.

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2012, 07:18:51 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Wow... so it really only took about three days to get to you! Hopefully the shipping on mine won't be too long haha. Thanks for the info. How are the decks?

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »

shutupdangit

• Elite Member
They're just regular old Bikes, nothing special, but for $1 a deck I'm not complaining.

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2012, 12:15:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Wow... so it really only took about three days to get to you! Hopefully the shipping on mine won't be too long haha. Thanks for the info. How are the decks?

I already owned a pair purchased at the higher price, like Lushbob.  They really are dead-on just like Bicycles.  The only customized features on the deck are the backs and the ad cards, that's IT, NOTHING more.  If you saw them from the front, you'd confuse them for Bikes, easily.

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2012, 12:20:07 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

I already owned a pair purchased at the higher price, like Lushbob.  They really are dead-on just like Bicycles.  The only customized features on the deck are the backs and the ad cards, that's IT, NOTHING more.  If you saw them from the front, you'd confuse them for Bikes, easily.

Yeah I realized that after I posted the question. I'm just so used to asking about the cards after somebody gets them  :P I got the point from shutupdangit's post.

Even though these are bog standard besides the backs/ad cards, the history behind the deck is what makes them so special I think. Not to mention the amazing price many of us snagged these at haha

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2012, 02:05:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yeah I realized that after I posted the question. I'm just so used to asking about the cards after somebody gets them  :P I got the point from shutupdangit's post.

Even though these are bog standard besides the backs/ad cards, the history behind the deck is what makes them so special I think. Not to mention the amazing price many of us snagged these at haha

They were practically cheaper than wholesale.

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2012, 06:50:56 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
My parents wouldn't let me buy them so sadly I missed out on this awesome chance
 :(

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
My parents wouldn't let me buy them so sadly I missed out on this awesome chance

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure there are going to be many people selling off some of the extras for pretty cheap. I know a lot of people got one brick or multiple bricks and I'm sure you could probably get a couple decks from them from cheap. These are decks that are too hard to part with  :P

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2012, 10:56:03 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:

shoot me a pm. i thought i only ordered 6 decks but i musta been drinking when i ordered and i ordered 18.
have you heard the word???