« on: January 26, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Hey. I was wondering if anyone else here is a musician?
I play clarinet and piano, and I'm not too bad at singing. I can play ukulele pretty basically, I'm trying to teach myself guitar (I'm waiting until I have a little more time), and I can play some basic percussion. And I can play saxophone pretty well, too - it's effectively the same as clarinet.
So, any other musicians amongst you? Speak up here!

"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

Re: Any musicians amongst you guys?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:28:44 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
I'm a guitarist.  I try to sing and fail miserably, so there's that.  Guitar is more of an activity pass time these days though, I don't play seriously anymore.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:41:46 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Professional musician, actually.  Well, play bass in a wedding band to subsidise my student loan, anyway.  I play pretty much anything that you don't breathe into.  Some stuff;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-OMTdqFxjw
http://file019.bebo.com/0/song/2006/11/20/00/6268587a2601696690b781929830.mp3
http://www.myspace.com/nldband
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA2xloxNSvk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dl_dVsOs8I

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 02:06:30 PM »

zmuddiman

• Forum Regular
  • "Heres to those actually in the arena..."

• Facebook:
WOOO CLARINETIST!!!

I am a music education major. My primary is Clarinet and my secondary is Tuba.
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on his ability to climb a tree it will go its whole life thinking it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 02:19:50 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'm a guitarist.  I try to sing and fail miserably, so there's that.  Guitar is more of an activity pass time these days though, I don't play seriously anymore.
Yeah, I'm just learning guitar so I can play it casually. But, if I start enjoying it a lot, I might get a teacher and start playing it more seriously.

Professional musician, actually.  Well, play bass in a wedding band to subsidise my student loan, anyway.  I play pretty much anything that you don't breathe into.
Awesome. :) That's a nice plan to get some money. I might try doing something similar in a few years once I get a student loan that I'll have to pay off.

WOOO CLARINETIST!!!
I am a music education major. My primary is Clarinet and my secondary is Tuba.
Awesome! :D I'm guessing you're at least Grade 8, or the equivalent of?

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »

zmuddiman

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

Awesome! :D I'm guessing you're at least Grade 8, or the equivalent of?

I am a senior in College
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on his ability to climb a tree it will go its whole life thinking it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 02:57:44 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I am a senior in College

Haha, I forget that Americans use 'grade' to mean different years in school. I meant music Grade 8. Or do you guys not do music grades?

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 03:29:44 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I am a senior in College

Haha, I forget that Americans use 'grade' to mean different years in school. I meant music Grade 8. Or do you guys not do music grades?

I'm not a musician, but I know enough about music to know that we don't have a grading system like what you're describing, as far as I know.  If there is, it's not in common use - in my forty-four years, I've never once heard a musician mention his grade number unless he was referring to his year in school.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 03:58:29 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I play guitar and I dabble in the ukulele. I've been playing guitar for over 7 years now. There are grades in certain schools of music I believe. I know that my friend played saxophone in a school and they had grades/levels. It's more common to just talk about how long you've played though
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 04:20:26 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Wow. That seems really odd to me. In the UK, we have graded exams that we take as we advance with our instruments. The grades start at 1, and go up to 8. It's common for people to be taking Grade 8 after about 8 or 9 years, depending on their age. If you start at a young age (for instance, I started when I was about 8 or 9), then you're usually about Grade 8 standard when you finish school, as long as you're a good musician and pretty dedicated (I've recently started the Grade 8 syllabus).
But, of course, that excepts people who are exceptionally talented - I have a friend who achieved a Grade 8 standard on Violin and Piano when he was about 11.
I'd find judging your musical ability by the amount of time you've played for to be pretty inaccurate - some of my friends have played for longer than me, and can't handle a basic rhythm/tune, and others have played for a few years, and are incredible. Are there no graded exams whatsoever for music in the USA?

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »

zmuddiman

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
We use grade scales to indicate classes of music. But not for music talent or level of playing and performing.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 06:14:42 PM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I wouldn't exactly call myself a musician persay but I am in a Musical Comedy Trio, The two others play guitar and double bass where I purely sing and sometimes play triangle for comedic effect. Find the link below to a performance we had representing our state in a national comedy comp (Be warned this humour is very Australian) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq5ZtN-SvI&list=UUv415WORNjBMLxd3B65jEhg&index=1&feature=plcp
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 06:59:03 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Genuinely, really enjoyed that Luke.  I really think you could play if you wanted to.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 09:04:05 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I used to play the clarinet, but don't anymore, but now I really want to learn how to play the piano.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 12:32:25 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i use to play trombone in band but after that i found out it too boring and start to play card .. i also know how to play basic ukelele

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 12:40:09 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Genuinely, really enjoyed that Luke.  I really think you could play if you wanted to.

Cheers Kanped :) and I'd love to learn an instrument but decided to use my focus on magic and comedy writing instead :)
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »

Fallen_Angel_of_Luck

• Elite Member
grade 8 violinist

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 12:15:08 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
In Europe (France, England, Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal especially), there are grades for music. In the US, music class is usually taken less seriously, so there are no "grades" of that type. I am also a musician, a pianist, and have passed level 9 in the British and French grading system about 1 1/2 years ago. I am 13, in 9th grade, and practice 2 hours a day. :D I love playing the piano. Maybe I should film myself one day.

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 05:22:07 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I played the trumpet for a couple years a while ago. Now I play the piano/keyboard and love it!
My brother makes music too. He is a "mashup" artist and what he does is takes 2 or more songs, and mixes them together. it may be the words to one song and the music to another mixed. Check his music out: http://soundcloud.com/jz1805

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 05:33:54 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I played the trumpet for a couple years a while ago. Now I play the piano/keyboard and love it!
My brother makes music too. He is a "mashup" artist and what he does is takes 2 or more songs, and mixes them together. it may be the words to one song and the music to another mixed. Check his music out: http://soundcloud.com/jz1805

I'm a big fan of mashups so I'll be sure to check him out. Here's a few other good mashups...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTx3G6h2xyA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNzrwh2Z2hQ

Really cool stuff there

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 06:27:34 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I am also a musician, a pianist, and have passed level 9 in the British and French grading system about 1 1/2 years ago.
Sorry, but in England, our music grades only go up to 8. So, you can't have got 9... ;)

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 06:33:10 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Yeah, I was thinking that.  I'm grade 5 theory... well, I got 50ish% on the exam, so ALMOST grade 5 theory.

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
After I reached level 8 in England, I went to a higher level music course, and they gave levels 9, 10 and 11 based on their own standards. In the US, there are competitions where you can pass music levels up to 10 if you go to special competitions, and I'm 9 as well on that scale.

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Yeah, I was thinking that.  I'm grade 5 theory... well, I got 50ish% on the exam, so ALMOST grade 5 theory.
Haha ;) I've got grade 5 theory, too. I only passed marginally; I went from grade 0 to grade 5 with two months of fast-track teaching.

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 06:46:47 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
After I reached level 8 in England, I went to a higher level music course, and they gave levels 9, 10 and 11 based on their own standards. In the US, there are competitions where you can pass music levels up to 10 if you go to special competitions, and I'm 9 as well on that scale.
What kind of higher level music course? We only have grades 1-8, then we have music diplomas. No other levels are widely recognised.

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 11:14:56 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
What kind of higher level music course? We only have grades 1-8, then we have music diplomas. No other levels are widely recognised.

I get the feeling he was indicating that his music school instituted their own grading system above 8.  It's not likely a nationally recognized one.  Imagine if a school allowed grades like "A++" or something like that...

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 02:48:05 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I get the feeling he was indicating that his music school instituted their own grading system above 8.  It's not likely a nationally recognized one.  Imagine if a school allowed grades like "A++" or something like that...
Yeah, I guess. It just seems odd to me. I mean, if a school in England allowed an "A**" grade, I'd be pretty confused because it would knock the rest of their system off kilter - each previous grade would be easier to get, and you wouldn't quite know how to match it against other, nationally recognised grades.
But, I guess that doesn't really apply with music grades. Just seemed a little confusing, that's all.

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 08:28:54 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yeah, I guess. It just seems odd to me. I mean, if a school in England allowed an "A**" grade, I'd be pretty confused because it would knock the rest of their system off kilter - each previous grade would be easier to get, and you wouldn't quite know how to match it against other, nationally recognised grades.
But, I guess that doesn't really apply with music grades. Just seemed a little confusing, that's all.

It's an assumption, but it's possible that the school had a personal standard they felt was higher than the national standard.  Its grades through 8 would be as the national standard, while above they they've added more grades.

Again, just an assumption.  What schools/competitions did he get these higher grades in?  That would answer a lot.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:29:06 PM by Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
At my school I play Trombone. I dont really like it though.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 10:11:16 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
At my school I play Trombone. I dont really like it though.
same here that why i stop playing it now

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 10:30:39 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I don't play anything right now, but I own a chinese flute. I'll have to try it sometime. ::)
I'd like to try guitar too, but I have bad memories of it from 5th grade, I was horrible back then even compared to the rest of the class. Then again, I was the only one to have started music class two years later than everyone else, and I never continued in high school because it was that or arts, which is also why I can't really read music sheets anymore.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 01:30:36 AM »

SpiritsCrusader

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I used to play alto saxophone in High school!

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 03:18:05 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I sing if you will count that.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2012, 03:35:28 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I sing if you will count that.

that's a true gift! Being able to take your "instrument" with you wherever you go. I wish I could sing well haha

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2012, 03:37:43 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
yea i had a good teacher, our choir teacher knew when to be harsh and make us practice and when to have fun, which was why i kept at it. :)
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
When you guys are talking about the UK grade, I'm guessing you're talking about the ABRSM?
If that's the case, I've played the piano for some time and got my diploma several years ago.