You are Here:
What does your social circle think?

Author (Read 5419 times)

Re: What does your social circle think?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 04:56:10 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i have 3 brother .. 2 think it dumb but the other is okay with it he lend me his paypal account to buy the deck .. my parent will nag at me everytime they see me playing card saying that they will be afraid that i will be addicted to gambling all sort and when newspaper has someone suciding because of gambling she will defintely cut out the article and show it to me

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 11:43:04 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Everyone I've told so far about my card collecting and Encarded have thought it was really cool. Even though I specifically told some family that I'd be happy to give them a deck, I still had a cousin order $130 worth to support it. And those folks are farmers, not exactly the typical card collectors.

I think that as long as you don't come off as a "weirdo" that sits in a locked room with your cards, you'll be OK. :)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »

Belk

• Cardistry nut
My parents only cared until I got a job now they think it's a little silly but don't complain

Brother used to do magic so he gets it

Friends think I'm a badass with the exception of one or two. I flourish for the most part.
Disregard women, acquire playing cards. :p

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 03:16:50 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
mother dosent like it but i dont listen and keep on getting them

father thinks i spend too much but i dont listen he seems to not care about the cards anymore infact he seemed to enjoy watching me open dotm and when a package comes to his house he will try get it to me as soon as it arrives

fiance likes it she looks at the deck whenever i get a new one but we play most all card games with the black tigers i first give her then rather than playing with the cards she puts them right away after the card games but she loves to play with the bee dice and loves to look at the boxes

friends either think im crazy or want all the cards i have and keep trying to buy them if i sell them osmthing say a hard drive theyll say wont you chuck in a v6 or somthing

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 03:29:49 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
My parent's don't care as long as I use my money wisely and work hard in school and get a job to pay for my decks. I do magic tricks but don't tell any one I'm a card collector. Many of those I told thought it was just a stupid wasted of money, and they think I'm super rich. 1 or 2 people I've shown thought the decks were really nice and said he understood me.

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 02:04:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My friends are really cynical.  Any time I tried to show them a trick or anything, they'd actively try to screw it up (well, some just work out how I did it, and that's cool with me).  My Dad's kinda interested and curious, being a poker player who's never touched a deck worth more than $1.50 in his life up to this point.  My Mum would hate it if she knew hoe much I was spending.
Ahh the cynical crowd. The ones that think magic is for attempting to mess with and interrupt rather than sit back and let the illusion take you in. People don't understand how much better the world is before you know how a magic trick is done. Once you learn, you can't unlearn, and suddenly things are far less magnificent since the answer is never shapeshifting, invisibility cloaks or thousands of miniature jetpacks on your shoes engineered by Nazi scientists in WWII that you managed to procure and now use in your levitation stunt.

Instead, the answers are simple, and extremely boring to non-magicians.

"You mean all you did was lift two cards? That's IT? THAT'S STUPID!"

I think with many "trick breakers" it has a bit less to do with wanting to be smartasses and intentionally messing with you, and a bit more to do with the fact that you're messing with their reality a little.  Do some magic to a type-A personality control freak who considers himself the master of his domain and thinks he understands the world left, right and sideways, and it can weird him out a bit.  Some people with esteem issues will actually get angry because they think you're trying to make them look bad, especially if you come off as arrogant when performing.

Then again, I had one kid I performed for - his entire extended family were in this dinky hospital room, maybe a dozen people, and when I tried performing for him, his family was telling him in his native language to mess with the trick.  By the third time performing that trick, I used a stripper deck and intentionally pulled the card out of the deck mid-trick to ask "Are you SURE you remember your card now?  Because I'd hate for you to forget it - the trick's not as much fun that way."  By the time I finished that trick, he conceded that I got his card correct.

After that, I went with a WOW trick.  I asked them to pick a card and showed them the wrong card intentionally.  The kid said it was his card.  I wished him well and left without finishing my routine!

Fortunately, little pricks like this kid and his family are few and far between.

My mother actually has a deep understanding of why I enjoy magic and cards so much.  I've enjoyed playing cards since childhood, and her father was an inveterate card player, as were most of her brothers and brothers-in-law.  Apparently he's the person in the family that I seem to have gotten the most from in terms of my innate personality, and genetically I shared more of my mother's physical traits than any of my brothers (no blood-relative sisters, just one adopted).

I've also been noticing that as my skill has improved, people are more impressed with my magic.  I've been doing this one three-trick routine over and over again for so long now, I could probably do it in my sleep - it only requires a standard deck with two identical (or seemingly identical) jokers, and I'm always carrying at least one deck that fits the bill, usually Bicycle Guardians.  It feels a little boring at times, but I've done it for people who've seen the tricks individually when I first learned them, and they see it as totally new and very impressive.  I remember reading a quote from some famous magician that it's not how many different tricks you know, it's how well you know the ones you do know.  One magician mentioned in the same article where I read that quote had a repertoire of exactly five tricks.  But he did those five tricks with such utter perfection, more weren't necessary.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 09:36:50 AM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Family: Doesn't care. My youngest brother has a couple of tricks up his sleeve but it's mainly for icebreakers. He doesn't want nor consider himself to be a magician.

Girlfriend: Need I say more? She's here in the forums isn't she?  :P  I love you Lara-chan! (Shameless PDA)

Friends: They're having a blast whenever I perform tricks to them. They know I don't perform everytime I'm with them so they don't ask. They're really supportive. In fact, I have a close friend whose mom always invites me over on Christmas day and perform for their family and friends. I don't get paid but hey, she's one of those moms who're really cool and hangs out with our group of friends whenever we're at their house.

Oh and since a lot of people are complaining about hecklers here, I decided to make a topic on it because I'd be off topic if I blabbed on it here. Here's the link:
http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=1954.0
Enjoy!  ;)
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777