You are Here:
Price of rare decks?

Author (Read 2635 times)

Price of rare decks?
« on: January 12, 2013, 11:27:34 AM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
So, if I am right, I believe there are around 8-10 rare decks, that people 'prize'. These would be:

Jerry's
BG1E
Gold Arcane
Black and White Fan Back Set (together or not at all I say).
Red Artifice
White Monarchs
White Centurions
Brown Wynn
Cage Gardens
LTDs

So my question is, what do you guys think these are worth? The market tends to flux, and people differ on whether the decks get more expensive or less expensive. E seems to be out of BG1E and I don't know if LTD really took off like Gold Arcanes and BG1E did. So can anyone give me a price list on these decks? I'd rather expertise, not just ebay searches. Thanks :)
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

Re: Price of rare decks?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:25:20 PM »

Angel_magic

• Forum Regular
It's really not possible to generalize "decks people prize", especially not into 8-10 decks. I can think of a good 15 decks off the top of my head that are worth more than most of those decks, and even then, that's just monetarily. Everyone has different tastes, so they prize different decks.

Anyways, if you're looking for market values of these decks, eBay probably is your best bet, because eBay IS the main market.
I'd suggest looking up "completed listings" to see how the decks are actually selling. Just because someone has an LTD listed at a Buy it now for $200 doesn't mean the deck's actually worth that. However, when you look at the completed listings and see a couple of different listings of the LTD's have sold for $40-$55 recently, It's pretty safe to assume that's a good average of the market value.
Check out my thread with a BUNCH of rare decks and accessories for sale!
http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=11812.0

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 12:49:22 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
Okay thanks, out of curiosity what were the other decks you could think of?

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 01:55:13 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I'm writing the prices for perfect condition decks

Jerry's $300-350
BG1E $100
Gold Arcane - $80
White Fan Back - $150 (sorry but the black one costs like $5)
Red Artifice - $50
White Monarchs - no idea, personally I don't want this garbage anywhere near my collection.
White Centurions - $200
Brown Wynn - $30-40
Cage Gardens - $300 for the set
LTDs - $50

There are far many more prized decks. I'm not sure why White Monarchs or LTDs are on that list, since neither of those are particularly popular.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I think Smoke & Mirrors V.1 should be on that list... There's also the 1st Edition Monarchs...

I have most of the above decks, but to be quite honest, I'm not really married to them... If anyone's looking to add these gems to their collection at the above mentioned prices, feel free to message me...

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 02:46:22 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
I completely forgot about S&M V1 (I am not a D&D fan...) and when I said prized deck, I meant the kinda of deck that people either struggled to get hold of, or were very limited. Personally I'd take a sepia Split spades lions over monarchs, or even better - the tally ho split spades. But usually in deck collection videos and forums the decks I mentioned get special attention; with the influx of custom cards, most decks are in 2,500 deck print runs which means a gold label spectrum is 2 as rare as BG1E, but that was never released for sale. It gets confusing lol

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
White Monarchs are running around $50-$70 at the moment.

D&D v1 Set is worth around $200
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 05:10:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

It gets confusing lol

Welcome to the hobby!  :))

The market respects nothing more than people's desire to own or sell.  Rarity doesn't truly factor in.  If it did, that white New Fan Back would be the most valuable of them all on the list - only 1,000 were made.  And Gold Monarchs would be even more so, since only 111 were released and only 144 exist - likely even less, since at least some of those decks got opened.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
Yeah, I wonder whether we'll see all these rare decks come down and down in price, or whether they'll increase. I imagine white fan backs will go up since there really are so few, but BG1E and Gold Arcanes and LTD's etc will come down since over the years (8 years since the BG1E... Makes me feel old) they've trickled down to collectors, and so their demand dwindles.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 07:13:26 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
White Monarchs are running around $50-$70 at the moment.

D&D v1 Set is worth around $200

Smoke and Mirrors v1 is closer to $100 than it is to $200. v1-v3 sets seem to be going for around $120-$130 on ebay lately. White Monarchs also have dropped in value lately, going around $35-$45.

The "standard" rare E decks (Red Artifice, BG1E, Gold Arcane and LTD) seem to hover around the same price. RA and LTD go for about $50, and GA and BG1E go for about $80-$100 without a ton of fluctuation in price. Sultan Treasury is hovering around $25-$30 lately.

Split Spades could also be included in this I'd say. 1st edition Lions regularly go for over $30, and the Tally Hos closer to $40. Haven't seen the Bees in a while but I'm sure the price for that is similar. Another notable deck that has been increasing in price is the T11 Blue Jaqk deck. I don't think you can find one for under 20 bucks anymore.

This is just from me ebaying quite a bit in the past 4ish months. I've been unintentionally keeping track of quite a few decks and their prices, specifically the ones mentioned in this post (also the Wynn decks, but those were covered earlier I think).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:18:39 PM by sr15 »

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 11:50:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yeah, I wonder whether we'll see all these rare decks come down and down in price, or whether they'll increase. I imagine white fan backs will go up since there really are so few, but BG1E and Gold Arcanes and LTD's etc will come down since over the years (8 years since the BG1E... Makes me feel old) they've trickled down to collectors, and so their demand dwindles.

It's not simply rarity that will drive a deck's price, it's supply combined with demand.  Low supply combined with low-to-medium demand in the marketplace adds up to a somewhat more reasonably priced deck than low supply and high-to-very-high demand.  Marketing doesn't hurt, either - T11 is known for hyping their decks into the stratosphere (and could still get away with it) when the White Centurions came out, and the stoked consumer demand has remained strong enough to keep that deck's price high, especially after the 2011 holiday season when they gave away the last of the supply.  Meanwhile, Zenneth still releases WFBs periodically, usually with an exceptionally-priced combo package involving his other items for sale, and his hype machine isn't stuck on 11 (like Theory11, get it?  :)) ) so the aftermarket on his deck is much closer to Earth.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 05:08:03 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Maybe Magic Con V1 should be in that list too.

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
There's also
BAPE (about $50)
IAOCP (about $50)
Lu Chen SPAR (about $60)
Bicycle Skull & Bones (limited edition)
White Blue Tunes
Only some Golden Nuggets

I'm sure there's much more, depending on what you consider prized or expensive.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 11:45:33 AM »

danktrees

• Elite Member
aristocrats, blue ribbon, silver slipper, golden nugget, clot, and most decks with a tax stamp on it are worth a lot too.

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular
On the subject of rare decks... I have a sealed white and black new fan back set. If anyone's interested PM me :)
Love is magic

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 03:50:35 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
aristocrats, blue ribbon, silver slipper, golden nugget, clot, and most decks with a tax stamp on it are worth a lot too.

Aristocrats are worth a lot?

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 04:03:01 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!

I'm assuming the Aristocrats in question are the originals and not the reprints.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 04:49:56 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran

I'm assuming the Aristocrats in question are the originals and not the reprints.

That's what I figured he meant, I just wanted some clarification because I got a deck from my purchase at Dan and Dave.

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 12:31:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
On the subject of rare decks... I have a sealed white and black new fan back set. If anyone's interested PM me :)

Zenneth is selling the pair for $25 with free shipping on orders of $100 or more.  Get 'em while they last!

That's another big reason why Gold Seal New Fan Backs in white haven't gone too high in price.  Zenneth keeps releasing small amount perhaps two times a year or so, and when bought in his combos they're REALLY inexpensive compared to the aftermarket price, which puts pressure on that price to drop.  It goes back up when people are done ordering from Zen and got their decks, but people who know better wait for the next combo offer.

Brown Wynn Logo Deck
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 05:33:26 AM »

therealmackay

• True Member
Hi All

need a bit of advice if possible?

Ive managed to track down a Brown Wynn deck what should i expect to pay for the deck and is it worth it long term for a collector to have?? Ive been hmming and aahing over this for a while!

Re: Brown Wynn Logo Deck
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 06:08:30 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
Anywhere between $30 and $60 based on current pricing and my experience with purchasing them. I could be off by a bit though. If you want to do fanning with them, you can forget it. However, they do hold together quite well for flourishes and cuts. From a collectors point of view they are nice to own but I wouldn't lose sleep over them.
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 06:12:14 AM »

therealmackay

• True Member
Anywhere between $30 and $60 based on current pricing and my experience with purchasing them. I could be off by a bit though. If you want to do fanning with them, you can forget it. However, they do hold together quite well for flourishes and cuts. From a collectors point of view they are nice to own but I wouldn't lose sleep over them.

Thanks Ag, they would purely be for collecting purposes so will actually never open the deck!

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 06:13:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi All

need a bit of advice if possible?

Ive managed to track down a Brown Wynn deck what should i expect to pay for the deck and is it worth it long term for a collector to have?? Ive been hmming and aahing over this for a while!

We already have an active topic that discusses this very topic, covering a broader variety of decks but including this one as well - along with some tips about finding a deck's current market rate.

I'll merge this to the other topic - next time, check before making new topics if the info you seek is already here.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 06:17:27 AM »

therealmackay

• True Member
apologies Don, was just looking for some quick advice!