You are Here:
Hi There!

Author (Read 454 times)

Hi There!
« on: December 02, 2014, 09:20:25 PM »

torcams

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Hi everyone, I'm Matt and I am new to the forum.

I live in Torrance, CA.  I started collecting playing cards many years ago when my interest was predominantly Coca-Cola memorabilia.  The subgroup of Coca-Cola playing cards became a favorite of mine due to their great images and ease of storage (as compared to the clocks, trays and signs I was also collecting).  Over the past 10-15 years I had basically left the hobby, but one weekend while sifting through my old card decks something was rekindled.

I started doing some web research and stumbled upon Kevin Roche's fantastic website devoted to Coca-Cola playing cards. Upon seeing the great images and the plethora of rare decks I had never seen before let alone even knew existed, I started scouring ebay and auctions looking for supplements to my collection.

In the process I also discovered the souvenir genre.  It started a few months ago with a pastel double deck of 1939 world's fair souvenir cards and quickly grew to a desire to own many of the great USPCC souvenir decks through the years - with a focus on some of the earlier ones.  My current favorites are a 1904 "the Burro" and a 1898 "Montana and Yellowstone".  I enjoy  the great quirky and/or historical images that are represented on many of the great souvenir decks.  They've even encouraged me to do more research into subjects or events like the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.

I learned of 52plusjoker and this forum through Kevin's website and also through an ebay seller James Carnahan with whom I did some recent business and who ultimately prompted me to join.

I very much look forward to the opportunities that this forum will provide and am eager to get to know the membership better and to learn more about this great hobby in the future.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt Schacht

Re: Hi There!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 05:15:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Mat, welcome to the PCF!  I'm sure you'll find quickly enough that you're among kindred spirits here.  We tend more toward the warm and friendly side of the emotional scale!

Please, take advantage of our archives - there's lots of information to pore through with more every day.  The Search function is your friend, and on those occasions when is isn't being friendly, we are - don't be afraid to ask a question, even if it seems mundane and simple.  We were all new once so we understand and don't run roughshod over the new folks like yourself.

So, are you specifically interested in antique and vintage decks, or have you spent much time taking a look at the more recent custom deck releases?  Since about 2007 there's been a big resurgence in new custom playing card designs and it's been only growing since then.

Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.  We'll deal you in!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/