You are Here:
Question for card flourishers

Author (Read 2597 times)

Question for card flourishers
« on: January 19, 2012, 02:35:16 AM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
Do you ever use the thumb cut or any one handed cuts?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:33:26 AM by Curt »

Re: Question for card flourishers
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 03:39:11 AM »

Curt

• Don't Use This!
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Hey Frost,

I edited the post for you so it makes a bit more sense. Feel free to modify your own posts by clicking the modify button above the post you would like to edit. I would also suggest you try and narrow your question down a bit further and add some clarification. I am not a hardcore flourisher but to me the "thumb cut" seems sort of vague, forgive me if it is some sort of well know cut that I am just unaware of.

I have seen cardistry videos where one handed cuts are involved. Cuts like the one handed revolution is used in many more complex cuts to create beautiful pieces of art. If I were you, I would do a youtube search for some one handed cuts if you are interested in them and see how others can incorporate them into larger displays.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:21:12 AM by Curt »

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 05:38:18 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Curt, the thumb cut is a flashier variation of the charlier cut, you can see a preview of it here:
http://www.theory11.com/tricks/cardistry-101-andrei-jikh.php

One-handed cuts aren't that common in cardistry videos, but in my opinion that's what makes them even more interesting. Who wants to be just like everyone else? ;)
Two-handed cuts are a bit overdone most of the time.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:52:06 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i use both of the move quite alot

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »

Curt

• Don't Use This!
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Curt, the thumb cut is a flashier variation of the charlier cut, you can see a preview of it here:
http://www.theory11.com/tricks/cardistry-101-andrei-jikh.php

Ah, ok thanks for the clarification. I think I have seen that move before somewhere but never knew the name of it.

But yes, it's rare to see a one handed cut that is on its own in a cardistry video. I am pretty sure I have seen a longer one handed cut in the preview for "generation extreme" ( http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/938 ). I agree with Moon, that they are kinda unique and cool to watch.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
hmmm i feel like one handed cuts are used all the time really. even during two handed cuts many time you are doing the scissor cut in one hand while maintaining a packet between both hands. you also see it alot when someone does a one handed cut and during that with the other hand they are making a fan or rotating the hands around one another doing the same one handed cut.
have you heard the word???

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
the reason i asked was because for me its difficult to learn  the thumb cut and the reason why i don't want to do it is because it folds the cards up bad that's why i don't like it neither .

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I haven't fully practiced this cut yet, but I know how to do it. I wouldn't use it for magic, but just for cardistry. Normally, I just use a simple Charlier Cut. If you are having trouble, I'd refer you to purchase Genesis v1 - if that's a little too high for you, you can always get the video mentioned above, Cardistry 101
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 12:22:46 AM »

wrassling

• Banned

• Tumblr:

• YouTube:
Never. It's against the rules.
youtube.com/wrassling

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
one handed cut is super easy i normally just it just for a little simple touch .. the thumb cut does not bend the top cut i can do it pretty smoothly without bending ... and the moves that teach on video you dun really need to buy just go for youtube and search for tutorial it free but the quality is not the best but well save your money

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 08:03:23 PM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
the reason i asked was because for me its difficult to learn  the thumb cut and the reason why i don't want to do it is because it folds the cards up bad that's why i don't like it neither .

If that's the case, you may need to adjust your grip. I've taught cardistry to a lot of people and I've seen this happen to quite a number of my students. Well, mostly due to small hands. Not everyone can grip a deck of cards the same way. You just have to keep adjusting to find the most comfortable spot in your hand to be able to do the thumb cut with ease. Trust me. I've had students with practically kiddie sized hands and some of them even do the Le Paul better than me.
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 09:23:25 PM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
I started with one handed cuts, Charlier, Revolution, Scissor and Thumb, out of them all the thumb i found the most difficult to master.
I bought Genisis V1 and Andrei teaches these cuts really well and gives good tips for those with smaller hands, myself included!

As frustrating as it can be don't give up, you will get it eventually, if it was easy everyone would be doing  it!. I'm still struggling with pressure fans!
I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 12:39:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

If that's the case, you may need to adjust your grip. I've taught cardistry to a lot of people and I've seen this happen to quite a number of my students. Well, mostly due to small hands. Not everyone can grip a deck of cards the same way. You just have to keep adjusting to find the most comfortable spot in your hand to be able to do the thumb cut with ease. Trust me. I've had students with practically kiddie sized hands and some of them even do the Le Paul better than me.

Another option might be to start out with bridge-sized decks, too.  Bikes and Bees are made in bridge size.  Bicycle as a "Magic Deck" two-deck set that's bridge size - one normal, one stripper.

But bear in mind, I'm not a cardist at all.  It's just a suggestion, since magicians with smaller hands often use bridge decks to simplify their sleight of hand.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 04:28:51 PM »

chdmagicdude

• Discourse Lover

• YouTube:
i like one handed cuts.

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Another option might be to start out with bridge-sized decks, too.  Bikes and Bees are made in bridge size.  Bicycle as a "Magic Deck" two-deck set that's bridge size - one normal, one stripper.

But bear in mind, I'm not a cardist at all.  It's just a suggestion, since magicians with smaller hands often use bridge decks to simplify their sleight of hand.
Sounds like a good idea in theory, but doing so would ignore the real problem, which is very rarely hand size to begin with. Most one-handed cuts make you feel like you have small hands when you start, even if they're actually quite large. Practice is everything.  ;)

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 05:11:44 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
thanks for your advice guys i well keep practicing until i get better . 

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »

trasher

• Newcomer
if you don´t do it already this way, i suggest putting the thumb on the top right corner (if you´r left handed).

and it may help if the deck is away from the thumb base.
when your hand is open the deck should be near to the finger tips.
and then push it up (to the thumb) from underneath with your ringfinger,grab the lower portion with your middle finger and the upper portion with your thumb on the top right corner.

i hope that doesn´t sound too confusing.

and keep practicing.
when i started with flourishing i thought i´ll never be able to do a thumb cut because of my smallish hands. but gladly i was wrong. :)

i´m still not a pro at the thumb cut but i´m satisfied.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:10:43 PM by trasher »

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 07:25:56 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I just watched the explanation in cardistry 101 for the tumb cut and it lacks a lot of details that are in genesis.
For example, you want to start the cut with the deck closer to your other fingers, so that your thumb can more easily reach the top. If the deck is sitting at the base of your thumb, you'd need insanely large hands to make it work.
Hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:26:33 PM by Moon.exe »