You are Here:
Olympus Relaunch

Author (Read 9643 times)

Olympus Relaunch
« on: July 24, 2015, 06:18:03 PM »

tanderle

Hi guys. I just launched a Kickstarter playing cards project that you may want to check out.  The deck is inspired by Greek Gods and Goddesses (I am also getting married to a Greek girl in 2 months!). I'm new to Kickstarter so this is my first project. I'm a math teacher but I have always had a love for graphic design and video editing. Let me know what you think.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/286203767/olympus-bicycle-playing-cards

Thanks,
Tom
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:00:53 AM by tanderle »

Re: Olympus Bicycle® Playing Cards (Kickstarter)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 07:03:33 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I think you may be looking at an uphill battle with Olympia Playing cards Having just funded.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:04:15 PM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 07:04:46 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:05:44 PM by Justin O. »

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 07:09:53 PM »

tanderle

Oh man I didn't even know about those cards. Oh well. We will see. The designs are way different so who knows.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 07:13:26 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I like the teal and yellow colors you have chosen, and really like the Greek styled indices. Plus I like the idea of the gaff card that shows poker hands, very nice addition. I'm sure between the different styles and great artwork you won't have any problems making goal.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 08:12:03 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
I would guess you looked at KS a bit before you launched because, in my limited experience, you covered all the bases perfectly.  Good pricing, USPCC, logical rewards, all the illustrations, a goal that actually makes sense, interesting cards, and not too busy.

I really wish I was interested in them as such a well thought out project deserves recognition.  I will certainly watch for your next efforts.  Don't take the critical comments personally; they are just trying to help.

Good luck

PS I agree with the border comment.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:17:50 PM by chas0039 »

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

That Ace of Spades looks strikingly familiar...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 09:59:32 PM »

tanderle

I am definitely willing to listen to any constructive criticism. It is definitely helpful since this is my first attempt.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 11:27:00 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
That Ace of Spades looks strikingly familiar...

you mean to this AoS?
Back for more

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 11:55:53 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I am definitely willing to listen to any constructive criticism. It is definitely helpful since this is my first attempt.

OK, first and foremost - use ORIGINAL ARTWORK that you either created or commissioned.  That Ace of Spades, as shown in the previous post, is a modified version of the Ace of Spades from the "Clipped Wings" deck by Emmanuel Jose - I named that deck for him!  Unlike the rest of a deck of cards, the backs, Aces of Spades and jokers are considered copyrightable because they are unique in nearly every deck design and certainly from company to company.

Have you tried using something more like red instead of gold for the red suits and red in the courts?  You can still retain the gold in the courts as gold, or at least some of it, but you need perhaps two more colors, one of which should be red, to make those courts pop more - modern courts are colorful.  Not to mention that this color scheme looks too much like the Hornets deck produced by Circle City Card Co., which sold its IP to Gamblers Warehouse.

The characters you made on the courts are large - huge, in fact.  Why try restraining them in frames?  Get rid of the border around them.

I know you probably like the Greek-esque font used in the index.  I recommend against it.  Indices should be easily read and I lean more toward simple, easy to read fonts, with indices being of a uniform height and width, values above pips and twice as tall as them.  Of course, for a custom deck, artists want to take creative license, so your mileage may vary, but from a veteran card player's perspective, easy, simple indices are best.

The card back - change the colors.  The dark blue-green is fine, but there's not enough contrast with the light blue you're using and the end result will look muddy, especially in areas with minute detail work.  Pick a brighter color for the light color of the deck - perhaps white?  DON'T use gold - gold printed on paper is a lot darker than people think it is, more like mustard brown, even when using metallic ink.

If you want more advice than that, you'll have to hire me!

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 12:23:39 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
That Ace of Spades, as shown in the previous post, is a modified version of the Ace of Spades from the "Clipped Wings" deck by Emmanuel Jose

erm Don you are wrong for once...  ;) that ace of spades is from Curator..
Back for more

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 11:23:08 AM »

tanderle

Thanks Don for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I am going to definitely make the borders thinner or remove them like suggested.  I am concerned about changing the color scheme after the launch. Some people really like it and may leave the project...then again others who hate it may join. I will have to think about it and try out different colors.

I am going to tinker with the back and try white instead of the light blue like you suggested.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 01:00:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That Ace of Spades, as shown in the previous post, is a modified version of the Ace of Spades from the "Clipped Wings" deck by Emmanuel Jose

erm Don you are wrong for once...  ;) that ace of spades is from Curator..

I stand corrected.  I was basing it on the fact that it was a bird!  Thanks.

Thanks Don for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I am going to definitely make the borders thinner or remove them like suggested.  I am concerned about changing the color scheme after the launch. Some people really like it and may leave the project...then again others who hate it may join. I will have to think about it and try out different colors.

I am going to tinker with the back and try white instead of the light blue like you suggested.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

You can still use light blue if you want - but in the end, you want a greater amount of contrast between the two blues in the design.  Some combination of making the dark blue darker and the light blue lighter can get you there just as well as making the light blue into white.  White provides the greatest contrast with any dark blue shade you can devise, when compared to any shade of light blue, which is why I suggested it.  Plus, if gives the design a more classic look - most older card backs are a single dark or darkish color with white.

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 07:43:59 PM »

tanderle

You can still use light blue if you want - but in the end, you want a greater amount of contrast between the two blues in the design.  Some combination of making the dark blue darker and the light blue lighter can get you there just as well as making the light blue into white.  White provides the greatest contrast with any dark blue shade you can devise, when compared to any shade of light blue, which is why I suggested it.  Plus, if gives the design a more classic look - most older card backs are a single dark or darkish color with white.

I tried using white...it didn't look great.  I am going to see if darkening the one blue and lightening the other helps.  Thanks again Don.

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 12:57:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I tried using white...it didn't look great.  I am going to see if darkening the one blue and lightening the other helps.  Thanks again Don.

You may not like the high-contrast look.  You should post it here, see what people think.  The biggest reason for using it, though, is that without adequate contrast, your design will look bad, almost like a sea of solid color.

I don't know if you remember what Theory11 tried when they released the Monarchs deck.  First of all, they hyped the deck to high heaven, as if God himself designed them.  They had the same design you see today, but the back design was black and the line work was done in metallic gold.  They seemed to have forgotten that metallic gold is actually very dark - the lines were so fine in the design that they were lost in the black, almost unnoticeable.  In the end, they trash nearly the entire first print run, except for 144 decks now known as the ultra-rare "Gold Monarchs" and of which only 111 were put into circulation.  They held the rest and released a last-minute redesigned version that had white line work.  People were ticked off that after all the hype, the deck was not that exceptional - the customers overlooked at the time that it was a reasonably solid design, in the end.  A subsequent reprinting with a thinner border helped make it a successful line of cards for T11, but they learned that you can't have two colors on your card back that are too close to each other in contrast levels, especially if one of them has fine lines or high-resolution details.

The Pedale Design Co. had the same issue with their first deck - but they didn't have the luxury of trashing the deck to reprint it, plus they were selling to a market that practically didn't care (high design more than card collectors).  The back of the first edition deck is terribly dark; thin, gold lines on a black background, leaving most of the detail almost impossible to see except under bright light with magnification.

There were two Bicycle decks made by 9780 Design - they were called Bicycle Venom and Bicycle Venom Strike.  They had the potential to be two very cool magician's decks, until they came back from USPC.  Both decks looks like mud on the back, especially the Venom Strike - on a black background, they had dark blue skulls and a greenish pair of snakes, all so dark that tons of detail in the art work was rendered unviewable.  They tried a little too hard for a cool design without bearing in mind the limitations of the printing process for the deck.

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 03:59:23 PM »

tanderle

Thanks for the insight Don. Here is the white.

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I'm still not sold on the blue, but that is MUCH better.  You'll also avoid the risk of colors not transferring from digital to print perfectly and bleeding into each other.  Apparently even more common if you design in RGB instead of CMYK, but that's just what I've heard.

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »

tanderle

I'm still not sold on the blue, but that is MUCH better.  You'll also avoid the risk of colors not transferring from digital to print perfectly and bleeding into each other.  Apparently even more common if you design in RGB instead of CMYK, but that's just what I've heard.

I'd like to hear what others think because I prefer the light blue. But I trust everyone's experience here and I do not want any issues with the back if this ever gets printed.

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 04:46:12 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
Not I.  My nod would go to the second version. 

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 05:02:40 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I agree that blue on blue will not print well or read well once printed, I don't know that white is the best option, I would love to see some other colors used. The yellow might look really nice..? Something warm or complimentary to the blue.

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 05:17:04 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
I could go for yellow, especially as it is on the court cards.

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 05:54:22 PM »

tanderle

I could go for yellow, especially as it is on the court cards.

Just tried yellow. I'm not digging it, but thanks for the suggestion.

I tried lightening one blue and darkening the other. I kind of like this the best. Thoughts?

The last picture is the original
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:55:30 PM by tanderle »

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 06:11:35 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Yeah, that yellow is too bright, I would think maybe a richer gold color, or more of a honey. But both of those blues will get washed out in printing, the darker background is a step in the right direction, but I worry it will not read as a specific image to the brain, but a blob of color; there needs to be contrast. Either bring the blue illustration much lighter and/or the background even darker, maybe shift to a different hue value of blue, or go with a different color.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:12:37 PM by Justin O. »

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 06:35:15 PM »

tanderle

I started tinkering with making that dark blue in the card a little bit darker to add more contrast. Good idea or bad idea?

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I like the darker contrast of blue for the courts...as for the backs, what about mainly yellow and blue with some white accents...I do like how the yellow contrasts with the blue, but in the sample above, it is a little over the top