Corarum Playing Cards [KS]
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:36:31 AM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular

Re: Corarum Playing Cards [KS]
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 07:38:09 AM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
I haven't heard of Lords Playing Cards Co, and this one kind of snuck up on me, but for €8 it's a steal! And I like the design, that's part of the reason.... I think.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 10:18:21 AM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
The posted pictures make it hard to see anything of interest here, other than a box.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:27:39 AM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
Unfortunately, those were the only pictures they posted to the campaign. There's also a video, but the cards are pretty far away from the camera.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
I was not commenting on your post.  I was commenting on the images at KS.  It is very limited.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:44:59 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
$18 for the earlybird with shipping to the US? I feel the pain of international backers now. This deck is attractive, but not worth $18.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 01:29:43 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
$18 for the earlybird with shipping to the US? I feel the pain of international backers now. This deck is attractive, but not worth $18.

I'm not seeing that.  I show $9.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 01:34:58 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

I'm not seeing that.  I show $9.

Did you back? When I backed it added $9 shipping.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 01:40:31 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
No, I don't back projects with almost no illustration.  I was looking at the rewards page where it says "shipped anywhere in the world".  In the past that has meant shipping included.  This guy has some problems with $9 shipping.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 01:42:02 PM by chas0039 »

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 01:43:26 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
No, I don't back projectswith almost no illustration.  I was looking at the rewards psge where it says "shipped anywhere in the world".  In the past that has meant shipping included.  This guy has some problems with $9 shipping.

Yeah, shipping looks like $9 across the board, but it is a poor choice not to list that on the page. They don't say who their printer is either: "The deck will be printed with Lords Playing Card Co.", which is the name of the project creator, so unless they are actually the printer..?

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
The future looks bad for this one.  Thanks for the heads up on shipping.  I'll keep my eye open for that bait and switch.  I have never had it added when the rewards specified anywhere shipping in the original price.  Missing that trick would really mess up my day.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 02:39:24 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The design is terrible.

There's an image of the uncut sheet in the video - it's nearly black.  All that fine line work on the back of the card is going to vanish into a sea of black ink.  It's a one-way design, to boot - just look at the canted right-angles in the center; one overlaps the other.

The faces are boring as hell.  The King of Hearts mysteriously has a black value marker with a red pip in the index.  The indices for the Aces are smaller than for the rest of the deck.  The face art has a MASSIVE white border - in a fan you'll be lucky to see much of anything outside of the indices and even those won't be easy to spot.

And there's nothing like making up your own printing company or using a complete unknown to make people go "meh" around here...

None of this screams to me I'm worth US$18, or even the US$9 of the early bird, not counting shipping, of course.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 02:42:38 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Relaunched campaign for...
"Corarum" Playing Cards
By LordsPlayingCards

Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 02:47:42 PM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
Looks like he dropped his goal down to about what he made before. USD$20 with free shipping for one deck is kind of high, I think I'll just keep an eye on it this time and see how it goes before diving in. I do like the cards but I don't know if I like them enough to spend $20 on.

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 03:45:38 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Looks like he dropped his goal down to about what he made before. USD$20 with free shipping for one deck is kind of high, I think I'll just keep an eye on it this time and see how it goes before diving in. I do like the cards but I don't know if I like them enough to spend $20 on.

Old goal was €4,000, new goal is €1,500 - but he's also announced the printer is MPC.  If an MPC deck isn't worth US$15, it's certainly not worth US$20 (which is more than he was charging last time).  And this time, no early bird pricing.  Three tiers: "donate a euro," one deck and two decks; that's it.

It looks like he specifically tailored his goal to match very closely the amount of cash he was able to get pledged in the previous project.  Not bad from a business perspective, really, though it doesn't make the deck any more attractive, plus he's neglecting to account for "whimsy" - the fact that some people will back once, then flit off to the next project, barely away they backed until the reward shows up.  Whimsical backers are unlikely to be repeat backers to a failed project because their interest in it has already waned.  If the goal was more like €1,000, he would have stood a solid chance - at this goal, it's more like fifty-fifty.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/