You are Here:
What personal attachment do you have to a deck or decks in your collection?

Author (Read 681 times)

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Many of you know Im new to decks, but collect Zippos. With Zippo's there seems to always be a bit of backstory to one, if not a few, pieces in a collection. Be it my Grandfather had one like this in WWII, or my Uncle carried one in Vietnam, my Dad used to have one, or something as simple as "This was the 1st in my collection"

So what decks, if any, have some "Personal Value" to you? Something you learned your 1st trick or flurish on, maybe a deck you remember haveing as a kid, or that 1st poker game?

Let's hear some stories and include pics if you can!

At the moment mine is the Bicycle Limeted Edition 1....It's the 1st deck that I cracked open and started practicing cardesty on, I cary the deck with me pretty much all day and when Im on my lunch break or just sitting around it's in my hand and I just practice my cuts.....over and over and over, I'll get this yet, lol
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:42:29 PM by Sparkz »

Re: What personal attachment do you have to a deck or decks in your collection?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 01:01:26 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I don't really have any personal attachment to decks in my collection but there is one deck that does relate to the start of my collection. When the red artifice deck was being released, it was around the time that I really started looking to collecting playing cards. With all the hype around that deck, it became really important to me to have that deck in my collection. During the release day, when the server kept crashing, I remained vigilant and after over 9 hours, I managed to get my order through of 7 decks. It was a pretty satisfying moment. Because of that purchase, I managed to fund a lot of my current deck collection through resale of the RA and that is why that deck stands out to me more than other ones.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
The only deck I'd have an "attachment" to is my Infinity deck. It was a Christmas present, and I was given it before I was really aware of custom card decks. I was absolutely floored by the detail, and decided to check out Ellusionist's website (Literally the only time I've ever used the ad card). I got into buying some other decks later, and discovered Theory 11, Dan & Dave, and some other big card companies. Kickstarter decks came later.

A few years, and few hundred dollars later, and I have over a gross of custom cards. You can really get into it.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 05:35:23 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
Anything a designer has "given" me. Over the years I have had a handful of friends in the card world that are also designers send me some decks and other items as a "Check these out" and "thanks for all you're help John" and the fact they consider my input helpful means alot to me.
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 07:14:55 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
I grew up watching a ton of Hong Kong cinema and especially gambling movies. The Bee deck were featured primarily in most if not all of those movies. I grew fond of that simple borderless back design and cool bee hive ace of spades.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:59:41 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's the basics for me, because I remember seeing them and playing with them from childhood.  Bicycle Rider Backs, Bee Diamond Backs, Tally Ho Circle and Fan Backs, Arrcos, Hoyles, etc.  I actually don't remember the Arrco and Hoyle backs, but the faces were used on a lot of decks back then - they were still independent of USPC at the time.  I have an old Florida souvenir deck in my collection right now with Arrco faces on them.  Oh, and the airline decks were pretty cool, too.  My stepfather worked for an international airline at a local airport; he often snagged decks, back when airlines were still giving away decks.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 11:18:09 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I will say I do have some strong attachment to the New Fan Back design... All of them; Vintage, 80's-90's Ohio, & I can honestly say that I love the Dan & Dave version as well...

However, I did get quite a rush while watching the newest episode of Boardwalk Empire, when Arnold Rothstein asks for a new deck of cards to be opened while playing poker and the dealer reaches for a deck of Bees and cracks them open... I said, "I have those exact sealed decks!!!" I probably shouldn't have been as excited as I was, but it let me know that I still have a passion for collecting cards...

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 11:34:24 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I probably shouldn't have been as excited as I was, but it let me know that I still have a passion for collecting cards...

Without that, what's the point  ;)