Warning Scam project just started on Kickstarter

Author (Read 4707 times)

Warning Scam project just started on Kickstarter
« on: April 04, 2015, 04:38:45 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1915530049/alchemy-playing-cards

Pretending to be LPCC, using an existing deck. We have put warnings on comments but it seems some are still pledging

Re: Warning Scam project just started on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 05:50:12 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I think people should be thankful that the scammer has an IQ of less than room temperature... because nothing adds up.

To claim to be LPCC, and then to print a BICYCLE BRANDED deck with USPCC... how silly is that??

And best of ‎all, the profile photo is of former UK prime minister John Major! A former leader of a country... printing random Bicycle decks?

Terrible.‎
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 06:01:24 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
But i must say that people should read the comment section as 9 people now have pledged on this project since we posted the warnings

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:20:22 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I have to admit I found this really funny  ;)
There are people who just back anything for the sake of pledging, or they just want to know what is in the end of it, or maybe they are just messing around with this scammer  :)
Back for more

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 12:10:36 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for stopping by and letting us know badpete.

Drop in anytime!  :)

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 01:00:52 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I find every aspect of this campaign upsetting.  >:(

KS should not be approving this kind of BS.  :mindf-ck:
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 02:19:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

KS doesn't perform adequate oversight, but then again, they don't have to according to their own TOS.  I'm sure it's a lot like eBay - "We'll catch it after the fact, once someone's complained about it, but we're not responsible nor do we vet every project."

I feel sorry for the SIXTY-ONE people gullible enough to have backed this project without knowing any better.  I'm sure some are dollar-backers, only in to fire complaints at the creator, but they can't all be - the project is nearly quadruple its tiny goal of $200, which is probably the record for lowest goal on a playing card project.  Seriously - Wingra Direct is still selling these things for a mere $3.99 a pack!  Even with shipping that has to be cheaper than even the early bird prices on this heinous excuse for a project.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 12:37:27 AM »

Yin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Thanks for letting us know!
I have a deck which I bought a long time ago (one of my first decks!) and I thought they look strangely familiar! =P

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 01:03:09 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

KS doesn't perform adequate oversight, but then again, they don't have to according to their own TOS.  I'm sure it's a lot like eBay - "We'll catch it after the fact, once someone's complained about it, but we're not responsible nor do we vet every project."

I feel sorry for the SIXTY-ONE people gullible enough to have backed this project without knowing any better.  I'm sure some are dollar-backers, only in to fire complaints at the creator, but they can't all be - the project is nearly quadruple its tiny goal of $200, which is probably the record for lowest goal on a playing card project.  Seriously - Wingra Direct is still selling these things for a mere $3.99 a pack!  Even with shipping that has to be cheaper than even the early bird prices on this heinous excuse for a project.

It is now EIGHTY-SEVEN people. While i suspect some probably are the creator's friends and family to boost a fake success, it is sad that many others who probably know nothing about cards and getting it purely for the design are falling for this scam. Did anyone complain to KS yet? And I believe KS can take it down considering it is not an original project?

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 01:08:27 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

It is now EIGHTY-SEVEN people. While i suspect some probably are the creator's friends and family to boost a fake success, it is sad that many others who probably know nothing about cards and getting it purely for the design are falling for this scam. Did anyone complain to KS yet? And I believe KS can take it down considering it is not an original project?

It's a holiday weekend in the states and I think KS probably isn't even in the office haha. I suspect the hammer will be coming down on this offensive and utterly asinine campaign in the next couple of days. Reports have very likely been zinging to KS from our fine community all weekend long haha. Then again, since it's funded and we all know that the one thing that matters to KS is it's cut... maybe they leave it up for a bit and hope it squeaks by?  :P
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 01:59:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It's a holiday weekend in the states and I think KS probably isn't even in the office haha. I suspect the hammer will be coming down on this offensive and utterly asinine campaign in the next couple of days. Reports have very likely been zinging to KS from our fine community all weekend long haha. Then again, since it's funded and we all know that the one thing that matters to KS is it's cut... maybe they leave it up for a bit and hope it squeaks by?  :P

Despite the flimsiness of their TOS protections for backers, if they knowingly allowed the project to continue, they could be accomplices to interstate fraud.  That might be motivating to them, if losing their backers' confidence in the system isn't enough.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 02:00:22 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
I just noticed, his comment: 

"A collection of the finest playing cards in the world, featuring hand-painted works of art, award-winning design and illustration, and luxury packaging. These are playing cards unlike any you've seen before. All of our playing cards uphold to a high level of quality. Wether you use these cards for magic, cardistry, poker or collecting, we guarantee your satisfaction"

was lifted directly from Art of Play, including the misspelling!

http://www.artofplay.com/
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 02:03:51 PM by chas0039 »

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 09:34:24 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I also reported it to KS, noting all of the different aspects of the scam, as I'm sure that others have done as well. Maybe the deluge of "Report this project" notices will trigger an investigation.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 11:09:11 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I reported it as well. I also sent a email to LPCC. Hopefully Laurence will send a cease & desist.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 11:11:49 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Hey Rob. I contacted Lawrence already two days ago and he replied to me that he is on it. He appreciated the heads up

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 03:24:36 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Chrome plated balls on this guy.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:24:49 PM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 04:31:54 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Kickstarter is starting to answer some of the complaints by saying they are looking into it. This project should die soon enough

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 05:55:31 PM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
I had a question.  How can all these guys be posting comments pointing out the scam, unless they are backers.  KS won't let me post and I'm certainly not backing they project.  Are they backing, posting, and then withdrawing?
Thanks

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 06:25:04 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
yes  I have backed this project 11 times so far  make my comments and then cancel

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 06:41:35 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I backed for a dollar to be able to comment, it isn't uncommon. You will see project harassers do it often as well. I'm not even goin gto bother cancelling my pledge, I love the debate, and I would be surprised if KS doesn't stomp it out.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 08:26:56 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Although this is a scam, but to have $6700 raised is still remarkable.
Or maybe he just pledged using a fake account, who knows...  :o
Back for more

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 09:01:48 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
This is pretty scary Kickstarter.  I see some red flags. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:14:22 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 09:13:17 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Although this is a scam, but to have $6700 raised is still remarkable.
Or maybe he just pledged using a fake account, who knows...  :o

I suspect he did. The genius of it is that if he can put in that kind of money on his own project he is guaranteed to get the money of the few people who don't realize it is a scam, and the few dollars of us pledging just to comment. It virtually guarantees he will make some money. Assuming KS doesn't take action. And he isn't brought up in court. Digital crowd funding is still too new, there are too many exploits and loopholes that you need to be wary of.

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 10:56:59 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
He made a pledge of $5000 on the first day himself  so he's not getting that much

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 01:04:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
He removed the face of the former British PM from his profile - now it's just a collection of a bunch of decks of cards with brands I've never heard of, like Gems and Old Monk.  Those he probably got from a local dollar store!

The fact that this project is still running is very surprising to me.

Just learned that the new profile photo is from Ace Playing Cards.  For a low-end manufacturer, Ace makes a LOT of plastic decks, including a brand of marked poker-sized cards!

http://www.playingcardsonly.com/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:23:20 AM by Don Boyer »