You are Here:
[SALE] Your inexpensive way to get into the vintage card collecting...

Author (Read 3366 times)

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
I keep hearing people mention that they are scared to venture into vintage & antique card collecting because it's too foreign. When I first started, I said the same thing. However, with time & a little bit of guidance, I picked up a few tips and bits of information that have helped me. Though, to this day, I'm still learning.

Nonetheless, the most important thing I've come to understand is that there are plenty of decks worth collecting, well within most everyone's price range Click here for an example.

Take for instance...

The cost of owing an original 1890's Russell & Morgan Co. Texan #45 Deck is not cheap.

However thirty years ago, Philip Morris (Marlboro) produced a beautiful reproduction set of playing cards that included two wax paper wrapped decks of Texan #45 cards plus a booklet on the game of Poker packaged in a gold foiled imitation leather slipcase. The best part is that these are relatively easy to find, inexpensive to purchase, and should be in your collection.

Gold Foiled Imitation Leather Slipcase - Sweet!

These Texan #45 poker cards carry the Lone Star design (from the late 1890's), still the best known symbol of Texas.

Set comes with both Red & Blue

Raise your hands if you love small pips! I do! The old school Russell & Morgan Co. pips and courts are stellar!

NOTE: I know there are people out there in collectorville who shy away from purchasing cards produced by alcohol or tobacco companies, and I respect that. Though this 2-deck set has an exceptionally small amount of 'vice-like' branding. I believe Marlboro was focused on making great reproductions that day, rather than selling cigarettes.

This past week, I received twenty two (22) sets in AS ISSUED condition, just like the day they left the United States Playing Card Co.'s Cincinnati manufacturing plant.

Cease the moment and get your feet wet in regards to vintage cards. Buy this thirty year old, brand new cellophane'd two-deck Texan #45 playing cards for only $15.95 per set (plus shipping). First come, first served. Once I run out, I have no more.

Pick up your Texan #45 2-deck set of playing cards today!
#Sorry, no trades.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:41:34 PM by Lee Asher »

Re: [SALE] Your inexpensive way to get into the vintage card collecting...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:37:21 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Agree!  I just love reproduction decks, especially transformation ones since original Cottas will go for thousands.  Actually, even the reproductions aren't cheap, but reasonable if you are willing to wait.  I also don't shy away from partial decks (my Vanity Fair) or those that aren't in mint condition (my Eagle deck). 

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 06:00:04 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Agree!  I just love reproduction decks, especially transformation ones since original Cottas will go for thousands.  Actually, even the reproductions aren't cheap, but reasonable if you are willing to wait.

Glad you agree! And now I agree right back ... some of the repos do go for crazy $$$!

I also don't shy away from partial decks (my Vanity Fair) or those that aren't in mint condition (my Eagle deck).

You can get some wonderful partial finds, especially at antique shops & garage sales. However, my gut tells me the idea of buying partial decks might scare off some modern collectors, especially if their entire collection only consists of sealed decks.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 06:16:40 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
put me down for a set. it is a faithful repro. thought I had a set but when I checked - not there!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 06:19:37 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
You can get some wonderful partial finds, especially at antique shops & garage sales. However, my gut tells me the idea of buying partial decks might scare off some modern collectors, especially if their entire collection only consists of sealed decks.

This actually made me chuckle.  I open all my decks because they were meant to be enjoyed.   >:( I collect playing cards, people that don't open their decks collect tuckboxes.   ;)  There could be a plastic brick inside and they would never know.  I would think those would be the kind of people more likely to even take an empty tuckbox.  Then again, being collectors many feel compelled to COMPLETE the series so having an incomplete deck would really bother them.  Knowing mine isn't complete and is slightly worn does bother me, but getting it for about $10 instead of $1,000 makes me feel A LOT better about it.   :)

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 06:38:25 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Knowing mine isn't complete and is slightly worn does bother me, but getting it for about $10 instead of $1,000 makes me feel A LOT better about it.

I'm with you! The touch and feel are a HUGE part of it for me. But history has shown us that people collect for different reasons & purposes.

There are a bunch of guys at the local magic shop (and here in town) that refuse to buy a deck if it's not sealed. That's their choice. It's their limitation(s). Maybe with time they will branch out and expand their tastes? But for now, I'm just glad they collect cards. It could be worse, they could be hoarding beanie babies???

Put me down for a set. it is a faithful repro. thought I had a set but when I checked - not there!

Sold! Another satisfied customer...

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 04:17:53 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
I stumbled upon these at a garage sale not too long ago. They were not sealed but in like new condition. Never having been shuffled and best of all I got them for a dollar.
I would love to have a sealed set too but my wife might have my head for it. She's ok with me buying most decks to add to my collection but not too fond of me purchasing duplicates which I have done three times in the last month so I think I probably shouldn't press my luck and quit while I'm ahead or while I still have one at least.  :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:53:43 PM by Will W. »
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 05:20:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

There are a bunch of guys at the local magic shop (and here in town) that refuse to buy a deck if it's not sealed. That's their choice. It's their limitation(s). Maybe with time they will branch out and expand their tastes? But for now, I'm just glad they collect cards. It could be worse, they could be hoarding beanie babies???

You think that's worse?  Try bumping into a bunch of Bronies...(shiver)...

Just a heads-up to all and sundry.  Normally this would have been moved to Aces & Eights - anything that's "of drinking age" (more than 20) goes there.  In addition, I usually forbid "cross-talk" in the sales boards - but that's largely been due to people either trash-talking someone else's sale or hijacking the topic to sell their own stuff.

What do you guys think - should I drop that rule about cross-talk?  Has it outlived its usefulness?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 11:05:58 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Can i just ask, i see that some have the red Marlboro Texan #45 with a tuck case. Is it placed in a tuck, after which goes in the slipped case? or is it a different deck/version?

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 12:30:36 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Can i just ask, i see that some have the red Marlboro Texan #45 with a tuck case. Is it placed in a tuck, after which goes in the slipped case? or is it a different deck/version?

Great question. This reproduction has both decks fitting into the single slipcase, which acts as a tuck. There's no tuck that gets slipped into the case.

By the way, there's also a divider between the decks inside the slipcase (really hard to show in a photo).

This is my open (personal) one. When new, both decks are sealed in wax paper.

Hope that clarifies things...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:34:08 PM by Lee Asher »