You are Here:
Vox Playing Cards // Project Vox. by Beau Challis (KS)

Author (Read 1556 times)

Vox Playing Cards // Project Vox. by Beau Challis (KS)
« on: December 21, 2014, 07:37:47 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Vox Playing Cards // Project Vox.

Concieved by Beau Challis. Designed by Lotrek. Printed by Legends Playing Card Company.

I don't want to sound or seem like everyone else. How can i sell you this deck, but remain an individual among a sea of other creators. I could tell you about how different and revolutionary this deck of cards is and use all kind of long elaborate words that over emphasise my point, but i really don't want this project to be that. I realise that there is a lot of competition on kickstarter - more so every day. Nowadays it seems to me that nearly everyone who tries their hand at magic or cardistry thinks they need their own deck of cards. All these decks feel to me like there is just no love involved and although ok at the end of the day they are all just decks of cards i hope you can see that the vox deck is not that. Vox is a passion brought to life, it is not a double logo 'minimal' throw it together, it is 2 years of hard effort, teamwork and dreaming. Vox is about aiming higher than you are actually sure you can go, achieving more than anyone realised was possible. I hope you can all see the fire for this dream, and help me complete the final stage of my journey. Over the last 2 years i have met some incredible people and have so many people to thank, starting with you. Thank you for visiting my kickstarter.

Thanks to everyone. :)

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Vox Playing Cards // Project Vox. by Beau Challis (KS)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 07:48:04 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Even though the moire on the card back is intentional, it drives me batty. I like the courts and the pips on the number cards look fun as well as the aces. That moire pattern though, it's a pretty intense visual which I don't know if I can handle.

Sadly, this one may not be for me.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 12:28:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
He's giving away "Anything is Possible" bottles in his tiers but they're not Jamie Grant's - that could spell legal trouble, at the very least for the trademarked name.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 03:19:04 PM »

rousselle

• Forum Regular
Whereas, I rather like the moire pattern. I expect this will be a rather fun deck to play with. I'm in for a trio.

As for the "Anything is Possible" issue... that *is* a little concerning. I hope he gets that resolved with Mr. Grant, if he hasn't already. I was unaware that was a trademarked name, but it stands to reason that it would be. Not cool to muscle in on another person's branding.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:19:28 PM by rousselle »
There are no 3's in rousselle. There are, however, two s's, two l's, two e's (but not in a row), an r, an o, and a u.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 01:17:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
What bugs me about this project is that it's practically following a design playbook made up of swatches of what was created before, for which I don't blame LoTrek since he appears to have been working as a "hired gun" on this project.
  • "Nowadays it seems to me that nearly everyone who tries their hand at magic or cardistry thinks they need their own deck of cards."  Call me crazy, but isn't Challis doing exactly the same thing here?
  • "Vox is a passion brought to life, it is not a double logo 'minimal' throw it together, it is 2 years of hard effort, teamwork and dreaming."  Two YEARS??  Really?  Hard effort?  Tote that barge, lift that Wacom...
  • "I wanted a deck that was not minimal, but not too involved - visually pleasing and easy on the eye, yet not boring."  So he chose a Moire pattern as visually pleasing and easy on the eye??
  • Let's hit the checklist of features used many times before by others:
    • Metallic ink?  Check.
    • Foil on the tuckbox?  Check
    • A duplicate card as gaff card?  Check
    • Court cards with missing faces?  Check.
    • Court cards drawn to resemble friends and family slapped onto the original court's body?  Check.
    • An offer for a backer to be a court card?  Check - and that could end up biting him in the ass depending on who claims that reward.
    • Custom pips?  Check.
    • Custom pip arrangements?  Check.
I get the feeling that a lot of those two years was spent checking out what other people were making and cherry-picking their ideas.

Is the deck actually UGLY?  No.  But the whole thing just lacks freshness and uniqueness - I'm no more compelled to buy this than I would be to buy a pack of Bicycle Standard.  The most original thing is the Moire pattern, and it's not an attractive feature, at least not to my eyes.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:23:09 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 05:08:43 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
As far as standard decks go this is good, love the pip arrangement and the pattern on the pips is cool. The box hurts my eyes a bit. Could have been a bit more subtle.
2 years work though...really? I am having a hard time believeing that. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either, it's nice enough.
I just read Dons comment, yes, I agree it does not look like 2years work.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 05:42:45 AM »

Beauchallis

• Newcomer
Hi guys! :)

Ok wow, I have a lot to reply too here Ahaha. Firstly, I guess we can't all love everything and the moire really works for me at least. I didn't expect it to turn out as it has with people but it's literally like marmite. There's no middle ground just people hating or really liking it Ahah.

When I started this deck it was so long ago that the custom decks among cardists etc were not as big as they are now. Everyone used Dan and Dave or t11 decks whatever. After the Fontaines it seems everyone wants a deck. I guess I could be thrown in with this group, and it was the Fontaines that introduced me to crowd funding etc but not my inspiration. I'm just trying to get across that (at least I don't think I am) some fucking bellend with 2 stupid bloody logos on a red background thinking I'm so unique and my design will change your life ahahaha. And when I started working on this, noone that actually used the cards (that I was aware of) really designed them, like designers designed and we just used them. Now all the 10 year old have 'designed' a deck. And I just don't want to be a part of that, I'm trying my best to be at the designer end of the spectrum. Although, this is my first deck and yes I have a LOT to learn.

As for the 2 years, I contacted lotrek in November/December 2012. OK it was not 9-5 6 days a week, but it really has taken 2 years from 'Hi lotrek' to launch. Again it is just me expressing that it is not a 5 minute job.

As for the checklist, I like metallic ink and foil. A duplicate could be a blank or a double backer and you could still complain, there's really not so many options and I don't think that a big deal. If I had standard pips instead of custom you would be picking up on that aswell, and really there isn't much else I can do is there haha, at the end of the day it's still a deck of cards. I understand you picking me up on these things, but this is me stepping out for the first time so there is bound to be things I need to work on.

And lastly, I tried my best not to copy. I kept my eye on loads of projects and decks and tried my best to not be a copy. Oh and the AiP bottle Wqs a mistake, I have renamed it hopefully that will be OK. I didn't mean to muscle in on anyone, definitely not my intentions.

I'm sorry I can't please everyone ;) but honestly I appreciate all the feedback good or bad. Hopefully I can grow from all of it.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:08:25 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hello, Beau!

First allow me to welcome you to the Playing Card Forum.  If you're interested in remaining as a member, please head over to the Introduce Yourself board and start a topic - we'd like to learn more about you and give you a proper greeting!

Second, yes, I'm opinionated, many people are as well - but they're opinions.  Not every word out of my mouth gets etched in stone and painted with gold.  We're opinionated because we really enjoy our hobby!

If you're counting the "I'm talking about this idea with people" stage, hell, some of these decks have been a decade or more in the making!  But you stated it more like the actual pen-to-tablet period was two years, which is why we sound a bit incredulous.  LoTrek - whom we love as an artist and designer - was hip-deep in his own card designs two years ago!

Moire effects are liked by some, but not so much like others - your marmite comparison is very apt.  It's also a bit dated, having peaked in popularity in the 1960s.  A better idea for card design is to use a design that's attractive but not distracting - decks like the Fontaine are popular with cardists because they're simple, classic and "plain enough" to not pull the audience focus off of the cardistry and on to the cards.  But there's been a lot of them lately, so yes, I agree with you that they can be a bit overblown and boring.  The one exception would be a plain design based off a more complex one - examples of this would be the new Whispering Imps Gamesters and the Zen decks originally sold by the Conjuring Arts Research Center (CARC)

There actually is a growing trend these days for plainer designs.  Old school, simple and attractive - and less expensive as well, because they're more for use than for collecting and thus have few to no bells and whistles added on.

You mentioned trends that were getting a bit tired.  Modding the courts to look like family and friends is one of those trends, as is making unusual custom pips (though I'll grant you that yours are plainer than some).  Making the courts wholly unique rather than modifying the classic courts works better - one of the best examples of this is the WhiteKnuckle deck; though they're hard to find these days the designer's website is still online.  Using a simpler modding process almost invariably ends up with a mis-fit in terms of scale - humans have a proper, recognizable scale while the classic courts really don't.  Better to start from scratch and really make the courts your own.

Blank face courts have been used in a few decks, some examples being the Bicycle Clot Ltd. Edition and the Mystery deck from BeDeceived (now defunct).  And letting a random, big-ticket backer be on a court card can really create hassles - you never know who's going to win and how fussy they're going to be about how they're represented.  An ego boost sounds like a fun reward, but it really can backfire like a too-short sawed-off shotgun.

As far as the gaff card - it's a take it or leave it, really.  Duplicate cards are useful for magic - but is this a magician's deck?  As a working magician, I learned a couple of years ago that using expensive custom decks when performing is NOT a great idea.  They get manhandled and grubby in no time - to you, a custom deck is a rare collectible while to your audience it's "I can get these for a couple of bucks at the newsstand!"  They don't see cards as rare or expensive and thus don't treat them as such.  The cards I carry - even the trick decks, when possible - are common and inexpensive, or at least not too costly.

In addition to this, a magician is inclined to use a deck the audience will identify with - the closer to a classic card design, the better.  It's not that they think the cards are a trick deck, but it gives them that comfort factor - "Oh, this is OK, I have cards like this at home."  Put them at ease as much as possible and you'd be amazed at what you can get away with right in front of them.

For these reasons, the duplicate card isn't entirely necessary.  You could try an innovation I've seen once before that I don't see often enough - the Spare card.  The Hornets from Circle City Card Co. (now out of business) had an extra card which could be used as a substitute for any card lost or destroyed in the deck, complete with boxes for filling in pip symbols.  It was pretty sweet, and positions your deck as a deck for players as well as whomever else you're targeting.

Cheers and good luck with your project.  While it's not to my tastes, I'm not the final arbiter of taste!