You are Here:
Legends Deck, coming Jan 2013 from David Blaine and Bill Kalush

Author (Read 62986 times)

Re: Legends Deck, coming Jan 2013 from David Blaine and Bill Kalush
« Reply #250 on: February 02, 2013, 05:50:01 PM »

therealmackay

• True Member
I think the quality of cards are fantastic, however im not totally impressed with metallic colour! Doesnt seem too metallic at all!

« Reply #251 on: February 02, 2013, 06:51:57 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
I think the quality of cards are fantastic, however im not totally impressed with metallic colour! Doesnt seem too metallic at all!

I've read up a bit on the metallic ink and from the sounds of it, its pretty hard to use metallic ink in cards, depending on the colors, from my understanding it's due to the fact that all the printing is done on paper (obviously) and the metallic inks don't seem as lustrous on that medium as they would a more dense surface. I'm not an expert on printing but I understand that reasoning. My cards shipped yesterday so i haven't gotten my hands on them yet but is it all the colors or just certain ones you feel aren't as "metallic" as you would like? any one else want to chime in on this one?

« Reply #252 on: February 02, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!

I've read up a bit on the metallic ink and from the sounds of it, its pretty hard to use metallic ink in cards, depending on the colors, from my understanding it's due to the fact that all the printing is done on paper (obviously) and the metallic inks don't seem as lustrous on that medium as they would a more dense surface. I'm not an expert on printing but I understand that reasoning. My cards shipped yesterday so i haven't gotten my hands on them yet but is it all the colors or just certain ones you feel aren't as "metallic" as you would like? any one else want to chime in on this one?

I'm no expert on metallic ink either but that can make sense. My assumption though is that since metallic ink isn't always super shimmery and usually just has a slight shine in certain angles, it's never too bold anyway. It just catches the eye.

I do know that only the green deck contains metallic ink. I personally haven't open any if my green decks yet and have been solely using my red and blue ones.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #253 on: February 02, 2013, 08:31:23 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
I am sorry but I cant find pictures or a deck review of this (besides the ones that are on CARC) what am I missing?
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #254 on: February 02, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
I am sorry but I cant find pictures or a deck review of this (besides the ones that are on CARC) what am I missing?

To what are you referring to? What do you think you're missing? Did you get this deck? Did you only get one or two colors?
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #255 on: February 02, 2013, 11:07:12 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
To what are you referring to?

I am referring to the subject of this thread the "Legends Deck, coming Jan 2013 from David Blaine and Bill Kalush"

I have looked through this thread (13 pages) and I can not find any pictures of the card faces or a deck review, I am asking if I missed it. Can anyone kindly point me in the direction?

thank you
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #256 on: February 02, 2013, 11:31:15 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
To what are you referring to?

I am referring to the subject of this thread the "Legends Deck, coming Jan 2013 from David Blaine and Bill Kalush"

I have looked through this thread (13 pages) and I can not find any pictures of the card faces or a deck review, I am asking if I missed it. Can anyone kindly point me in the direction?

thank you

Just the card faces? I'll post a simple non-professional picture of the faces if you'd like :)

As for reviews.... there are discussions and opinions within the last few pages (12-13) that contain a bunch of different people's opinion on the deck.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:40:33 AM by Michael »

« Reply #257 on: February 03, 2013, 11:26:58 AM »

Samurai007

I think the biggest plus for me is knowing that it isn't from USPCC. I have nothing wrong with USPCC but I like the idea of these coming from a quality printing company with comparable prices when it reaches us, the consumers.

I look forward to the next set of Legends or even other companies being bold enough to try and use the same printing company! Wonder if they have more finished and stocks than the very limited selection that USPCC offers. Because if they do, we might soon see some really high quality decks coming out! That or some really shitty decks come out too :P

There are other good printers out there, have been for a while.  I received 2 other non-USPCC decks within the last week besides the Legends deck, and IMO they are both as good or better in quality than the Legends deck.  The Deck of the Extraordinary Voyages, from Bent Castle Workshop's Kickstarter was especially nice IMHO.  At one point he considered going with USPCC though it would have meant compromising the design of his deck, but luckily backers convinced him not to.  It turned out beautifully.

« Reply #258 on: February 03, 2013, 12:30:32 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

There are other good printers out there, have been for a while.  I received 2 other non-USPCC decks within the last week besides the Legends deck, and IMO they are both as good or better in quality than the Legends deck.  The Deck of the Extraordinary Voyages, from Bent Castle Workshop's Kickstarter was especially nice IMHO.  At one point he considered going with USPCC though it would have meant compromising the design of his deck, but luckily backers convinced him not to.  It turned out beautifully.

There's no doubt that Bent Castle does good work - but it's not entirely up to par in terms of handling, fanning, etc.  I'm very familiar with their work - I'm still waiting for my DotEVs to show up, and I have all of their other decks.  They're good, they're playable, but they're not as good for certain types of performance work.  Additionally, they rarely end up using the same printer twice, and they're always printing in China.

The problem they have with printers is that they find a good one, print a deck with them, then they shut down, starting the quest for a new printer all over again.  Many of their decks are radically different from each other in terms of stock, finish, handling, etc. - not in the same print run, but across their product line.

The printer that did the run for Legends is expected to remain an ongoing concern, and I understand that plans may be in the works to have a US intermediary for the company, someone who will act like a broker and make all the necessary arrangements for people in North America and possibly Europe looking to create new custom decks but not looking to do so with USPC.  USPC is a fine company, to be sure, but at times they truly do act like the near-monopoly that they are in the US, and some of their policies seem fickle and capricious.  Oh, and when they screw up, they do it big, no half-measures there...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #259 on: February 03, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

There's no doubt that Bent Castle does good work - but it's not entirely up to par in terms of handling, fanning, etc.  I'm very familiar with their work - I'm still waiting for my DotEVs to show up, and I have all of their other decks.  They're good, they're playable, but they're not as good for certain types of performance work.  Additionally, they rarely end up using the same printer twice, and they're always printing in China.

The problem they have with printers is that they find a good one, print a deck with them, then they shut down, starting the quest for a new printer all over again.  Many of their decks are radically different from each other in terms of stock, finish, handling, etc. - not in the same print run, but across their product line.

The printer that did the run for Legends is expected to remain an ongoing concern, and I understand that plans may be in the works to have a US intermediary for the company, someone who will act like a broker and make all the necessary arrangements for people in North America and possibly Europe looking to create new custom decks but not looking to do so with USPC.  USPC is a fine company, to be sure, but at times they truly do act like the near-monopoly that they are in the US, and some of their policies seem fickle and capricious.  Oh, and when they screw up, they do it big, no half-measures there...  :))

The notion that I was trying to get at was that the USPCC does act like they have the monopoly on playing cards because there is no other printing company (to my knowledge) as large as them. This makes them good to go to st times but we all know that sometimes they sacrifice quality or are just difficult to deal with.

Of course some of my favorite decks were printed by them, it's just refreshing having a company that may be able to compete with them. I think this will help push the standard of playing cards to bigger and better standards.

Thanks Don for that info. I didn't know that about Bent Castle. :))

« Reply #260 on: February 03, 2013, 06:54:50 PM »

therealmackay

• True Member
Re: the metallic inks! Thanks for your responses! I guess i was expecting the same kind of effect as the silver split spades!

« Reply #261 on: February 03, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I was disappointed with the metallic ink too, but I'm sure that's something that they will work on for future decks.

« Reply #262 on: February 04, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I was slightly disappointed with my decks. The finish was a bit too smooth for me. The stock was initially very stiff, but handled much better after broken in. I'm sure lots of people would like the feel of these, but they just weren't for me. Design was really nice, though. Anyone know who the court cards are?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #263 on: February 04, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I emailed CARC this morning. They got back to me same day. My order was shipping out today. Picked up a brick (4x 3 pack). This makes it my 3rd playing cards purchase released in 2013 (Virtuoso, D&D New Fan Backs & Legends). I'm trying to be more discreet this year with what I buy. I had to have them! Its only January!

Looking forward to finding out how these handle also. I hope the producers of playing cards are do their homework before making manufacturing choices. I'm not just talking about using a deck of cards. I'm talking about actually visiting these manufacturers to see what they are doing and how they are doing it.

When the manufacturer's on the other side of the world, that's not always practical...

I think you're missing something here, something very important - more so to deck designers than consumers.  We now have a company in Taiwan that can manufacture playing cards on par with if not better than USPC.  In the recent past, if you wanted quality custom work, most people turned immediately to USPC; other companies couldn't match the quality.  You described them rather nicely as like Aladdins with Magic Finish, though these aren't smooth like Aladdins are.  Decks that good from a different company - and CHEAPER to make per deck, too - are previously unheard of.

Hey Don, Better late then never... I've been busy.

I understand its not practical for everyone...

Those of us that are buying this deck are for the most part more concerned about comparing the quality to USPCC. This choice has as much to do with the producers profit margin though. Yes, the decks are cheaper to make for producers but those of us that are purchasing the decks are not getting the decks any less then we would for other custom USPCC decks. How does Legends being made cheaper benefit the customer using the decks? The USPCC is an American Company and therefor I know they adhere to U.S. labor laws. Do we really know how or who this Taiwan Playing Card Company is using for these decks to be made? There are thousands of American Companies that use cheap labor country's to manufacture goods. While I am enjoying the Legends decks very much, I'm taking all this hype about quality with a grain of salt. I know what I'm paying for when I purchase USPCC decks.

Don, Over time I've learned to read between the lines of some of your posts. I know you have an intellectual interest in the success of a "friends company". I'm just wondering if your indulgent support of Legends Playing Cards being made cheaper has anything to do with a future project you know of? Otherwise, why would YOU "Don Boyer" care that they are being made cheaper?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:03:34 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #264 on: February 04, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
got my decks in the mail today. i agree with the earlier statements about how smooth the finish is. not a bad thing just something I'm not used to. they also have a weird scent to them, call me weird but i noticed a different smell on the "cambric" finish from Dan and Dave's decks and these have a unique smell as well. i noticed a reveal on the bottom of the case (for those that missed it). I'm really curious about the order, i know its a stack but I'm pretty sure its not mnemonica, i could be wrong (ill dig up my copy of the book to verify) but I'm pretty sure the ace of spades is 7th in the stack, not first. any more thoughts on this would be nice since I'm a little hesitant to shuffle these and destroy the stack. all in all though they seem like a solid deck of cards...time will tell if they stand up to the abuse though.  ;)

side note...there is a QR code on the flap of the lid, if you scan it, it sends you to a legends website with riddles to "discover secrets" of the deck..I didn't know if anyone had tried it yet.

Side note 2: if you keep the deck in its original order and riffle the edges the flames on the dragons back flutter. its hard to explain but try it out.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:59:45 PM by S.C. »

« Reply #265 on: February 05, 2013, 03:14:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Side note 2: if you keep the deck in its original order and riffle the edges the flames on the dragons back flutter. its hard to explain but try it out.

That's not just "fluttering" - you just did a riffle test and the deck failed: it's marked!  Those flames must be in a pattern corresponding to the card's value and suit.  I'm going to examine this further and see if I can decipher the markings.

EDIT: OK, here's what I can tell so far.  The "flames" on the dragon's back are binary digits.  The lowest is the "1" digit, the next up is "2", the next is "4" and the top is "8".  When a digit is set to 1, it touches the border of the card; if the flame doesn't touch the border, it's a 0.  Add them up and you get numeric values from 1 to 13.  For example, if the top and bottom flames touched the border, that would be a 9 (8+1).  If the middle two touched, that's a 6 (4+2).  For a King (13), all flames except the 2 digit touch (8+4+1).  These marks appear on all four of the dragons, in each corner, making for easy deck reading.

Haven't figured out if there's a suit identifier yet, but I'm on the lookout!

SECOND EDIT: just discovered the suit markings!  They're at the base of the flames.  Some flames will have a thick line across the base while some have a thin line.  That's the idenfitier.

Spades: top two flames have thin baselines.
Hearts: top and bottom flames have thin baselines.
Clubs: bottom two flames have thin baselines.
Diamonds: none of the flames have thin baselines.

Sharp eye, S.C. - I might never have spotted that!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:30:56 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #266 on: February 05, 2013, 04:37:31 AM »

Zenneth

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I emailed CARC this morning. They got back to me same day. My order was shipping out today. Picked up a brick (4x 3 pack). This makes it my 3rd playing cards purchase released in 2013 (Virtuoso, D&D New Fan Backs & Legends). I'm trying to be more discreet this year with what I buy. I had to have them! Its only January!

Looking forward to finding out how these handle also. I hope the producers of playing cards are do their homework before making manufacturing choices. I'm not just talking about using a deck of cards. I'm talking about actually visiting these manufacturers to see what they are doing and how they are doing it.

When the manufacturer's on the other side of the world, that's not always practical...

I think you're missing something here, something very important - more so to deck designers than consumers.  We now have a company in Taiwan that can manufacture playing cards on par with if not better than USPC.  In the recent past, if you wanted quality custom work, most people turned immediately to USPC; other companies couldn't match the quality.  You described them rather nicely as like Aladdins with Magic Finish, though these aren't smooth like Aladdins are.  Decks that good from a different company - and CHEAPER to make per deck, too - are previously unheard of.

Those of us that are buying this deck are for the most part more concerned about comparing the quality to USPCC. This choice has as much to do with the producers profit margin though. Yes, the decks are cheaper to make for producers but those of us that are purchasing the decks are not getting the decks any less then we would for other custom USPCC decks. How does Legends being made cheaper benefit the customer using the decks? The USPCC is an American Company and therefor I know they adhere to U.S. labor laws. Do we really know how or who this Taiwan Playing Card Company is using for these decks to be made? There are thousands of American Companies that use cheap labor country's to manufacture goods. While I am enjoying the Legends decks very much, I'm taking all this hype about quality with a grain of salt. I know what I'm paying for when I purchase USPCC decks.

Don, Over time I've learned to read between the lines of some of your posts. I know you have an intellectual interest in the success of a "friends company". I'm just wondering if your indulgent support of Legends Playing Cards being made cheaper has anything to do with a future project you know of? Otherwise, why would YOU "Don Boyer" care that they are being made cheaper?

The "saving" has already been passed onto customers with Legends.

Retail price of Legends in greater China area is very good, particularly in Hong Kong.

What makes Legends available at a slightly lower (instead of a much lower) price than USPC decks in U.S. is the import tax and international shipping, unfortunately there's nothing much can be done about this, it's the same when Asians trying to buy decks from U.S. retailers.

The factory that prints Legends is a closely guarded trade secret, I don't think Don knows which factory it is and I doubt he has much interest in this. He is barely trying to point out a different option to custom deck designers here.

I am the first Chinese magician ever sponsored by USPCC so I am supposed to say some good things about USPCC, but I can be very honest with you, when it comes to printing custom decks, they can make things very very difficult for you, even to people like me.

Amour Playing Cards & Amour Magic Collection
www.Coterie1902.com

« Reply #267 on: February 05, 2013, 05:52:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Sorry I missed this reply - I was rather excited about figuring out the deck's markings.

Zenneth summed everything up pretty well, really.  The deck is cheaper to make than at USPC, but a US-made deck doesn't have Customs/import taxes to be accounted for in the price unless it's being sold elsewhere in the world.  So in the end, the deck is, like he said, just somewhat cheaper rather than drastically so.  And let's not forget the amazingly intricate work that went into making this a real magician's deck - the marking system is brilliant and yet so simple to read, and it's just one of many such features in a feature-packed deck.  How often do you find all these features in a deck at that price?  A quality marked deck alone can run $10-20, or more in some cases.

Regarding the printer, the only things about the printer that I know are it's located in Taiwan and it's an industry secret.  But I would doubt that this Taiwanese company is that radically different in terms of their business practices and treatment of its employees than a good percentage of American firms.  I know that at least some of the people involved with the Legends deck got a look at the operation in person - if it didn't pass the smell test, I'm sure they wouldn't be using that printer, even if the decks were "Jerry's" good.  I can't get into the details too much, but a LOT of work performed by some big names in the business over several months went into finding the right printer for this project, and it's expected to become an ongoing concern.

As far as my interests - I do associate with a handful of people who are involved with playing card design, and not just from one single company.  I've heard some of the background details of how things went pear-shaped and sideways on a USPC contract job.  The company does, in the end, eventually make good on their mistakes, but some of the mistakes are so bone-headedly simple that they shouldn't have occured in the first place, never mind so frequently.  Meanwhile, weeks and even months pass by and their product isn't up to spec yet.  Sometimes delays like that cost money, as what happened to the Bohemia deck, a project I consulted on; they went through a total of three production runs before they finally got everything right with the tuck boxes, and by that time postal rates increased and they had to shell out more of their earnings from the KS project to cover those expenses, cutting into their profits, since they certainly weren't going to track down their customers and ask for more postage for something they've already paid for.  They also had to decline an offer to have the deck appear in the New York Times Holiday Gift Guide 2012 because on the USPC side of the deal the project went from being ahead of schedule to bumped back - and that was BEFORE all the mistakes.

To sum the previous paragraph up in a single sentence, these people are friends and business associates and the mistakes they've had to endure dealing with USPC were insanely easy to prevent, but they weren't - why should they go through all that hassle when someone else is willing to do competent, quality work for less, even after accounting for importation?  I like USPC products as much as the next guy, but I also acknowledge that they're not the only game in town for people with a design and a dream.  I have no profits to make and no projects in the works that affect this opinion in any way.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:57:00 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #268 on: February 05, 2013, 07:22:13 AM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member

That's not just "fluttering" - you just did a riffle test and the deck failed: it's marked!  Those flames must be in a pattern corresponding to the card's value and suit.  I'm going to examine this further and see if I can decipher the markings.

EDIT: OK, here's what I can tell so far.  The "flames" on the dragon's back are binary digits.  The lowest is the "1" digit, the next up is "2", the next is "4" and the top is "8".  When a digit is set to 1, it touches the border of the card; if the flame doesn't touch the border, it's a 0.  Add them up and you get numeric values from 1 to 13.  For example, if the top and bottom flames touched the border, that would be a 9 (8+1).  If the middle two touched, that's a 6 (4+2).  For a King (13), all flames except the 2 digit touch (8+4+1).  These marks appear on all four of the dragons, in each corner, making for easy deck reading.

SECOND EDIT: just discovered the suit markings!  They're at the base of the flames.  Some flames will have a thick line across the base while some have a thin line.  That's the idenfitier.

That's awesome! It's this is the most ingenious marking system I've ever seen on a deck! And it's so invisible! Thanks for pointing it out and deciphering it!

Now, the stack! I'm clueless about stacks! If someone hadn't told me it was in a stack, I might have sent the decks back saying that somebody opened them, shuffled them, and then re-sealed them in cellophane before sending them to me. Somebody said earlier that the ace of spades is 7th in the deck? Mines first. Don't know if that helps! It's also the same stack for each colour deck.

The one thing I did notice is when I did a couple of small springs with the cards, they seemed to come of my thumb in bunches of two or three instead of individually. Maybe it's my technique, or the thickness of the cards (or should that be "thin-ness"?), but they just seemed to stick a bit. I'll keep trying and see if breaking them in a bit helps.

Edit: Also just noticed a very clever Ambigram on the top of the box! I think that's the right term for it anyway! When you can read a word and turn it upside down and still read it? Only this is two different words - Lawrence Sullivan.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:44:23 AM by The Quadfather »
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #269 on: February 05, 2013, 11:03:08 AM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular

nice call don! yeah i was studying them last night and started to see the differences in the flames but couldn't place all the details. Binary is perfect!!!

Nice work sir...nice work indeed!  :D

« Reply #270 on: February 05, 2013, 12:02:42 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

WOAH

Thanks! This deck gets more and more interesting with the more goodies I see.
I've never even heard of an embossed reveal.

It also has a hidden 1-way back. At the top corner, look for the curved lines in the dragon's wings. One side doesn't have curves in the top portion of the wings.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #271 on: February 05, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

WOAH

It also has a hidden 1-way back. At the top corner, look for the curved lines in the dragon's wings. One side doesn't have curves in the top portion of the wings.

Note that the one-way marks on the Aces are reversed - makes for easy spotting with a quick run through the deck, no need to read the suit/value markings.

Tonight, when I have more energy, I'll look for all the little tidbits discovered so far and list them.

« Reply #272 on: February 05, 2013, 01:29:39 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

WOAH

Note that the one-way marks on the Aces are reversed - makes for easy spotting with a quick run through the deck, no need to read the suit/value markings.

Tonight, when I have more energy, I'll look for all the little tidbits discovered so far and list them.

I wonder if there's more.  ;D
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #273 on: February 05, 2013, 05:21:39 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I am not sure what places are still carrying this deck, but I just got an email saying that Tannen's Magic store is. So here is another option if you haven't picked up any yet but still wanted to.

http://www.tannens.com/shop//cart.php?m=product_detail&p=9847

« Reply #274 on: February 05, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
"Dragons reveal smoke and rubies"

Don't think anyone mentioned that riddle (maybe cos its a little more obvious than the others lol) but on th joker card it has ruby in smoke as a reveal :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)