Legends Deck, coming Jan 2013 from David Blaine and Bill Kalush

Author (Read 62971 times)

Re: Legends Deck, coming Jan 2013 from David Blaine and Bill Kalush
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2013, 06:32:27 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
I'm patient enough. I know they'll ship it soon enough! I just can't wait once I get the shipment confirmation!

You could always shoot them an email or call them Frost. I think they're technically still open.
I already sent them 2 emails like 6 hours ago but no one answers ?

Do me a favor, calm down, breathe in, breathe out. Okay now that thats over with you have to know a few things. CARC, like many other US companys, work from 9-5 and have a small number of employees. It is VERY likely that they have almost everyone that works for them packing orders. If they don't respond by 12 tomorrow, then email them again, until then sit back, relax, enjoy a cocktail? and wait.
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #201 on: January 29, 2013, 12:28:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey, John, remember you asked me for a photo of my deck?

The decks used in the CARC photos are the same as mine, so the photos appear to have been taken with prototypes before the standard decks arrived.

The way to tell the difference is the diamond pattern on the center of the back.  On the tuck box (and supposedly the stock models) it's an "LS" ambigram (for the magician making this deck, Lawrence Sullivan), while for the prototypes the back image was flipped and the ambigram is no longer readable as such - it just looks like a pretty pattern.

I'm surprised that they didn't just flip the images with the deck backs in them to make them look like the release model...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #202 on: January 29, 2013, 03:03:16 PM »

Zenneth

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Hey guys,

Just a quick update to the pre-orders of Legends at Coterie, we too received our stock a couple hours ago and immediately working on packing.

All pre-orders will be shipped out within this week, until then, we will not relist the new stock on sale.

Cheers,
Zenneth

Amour Playing Cards & Amour Magic Collection
www.Coterie1902.com

« Reply #203 on: January 29, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
Hey Zenneth, do we get tracking numbers by email??
Form Follows Function

« Reply #204 on: January 29, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »

Zenneth

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

Yes, we are going to do that, I am pretty sure all tracking numbers will be able to sent out on next Monday.

Amour Playing Cards & Amour Magic Collection
www.Coterie1902.com

« Reply #205 on: January 29, 2013, 04:11:35 PM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular

Yes, we are going to do that, I am pretty sure all tracking numbers will be able to sent out on next Monday.
Any news on whether you'll be able to restock the Legends decks, Zenneth?
Love is magic

« Reply #206 on: January 29, 2013, 04:26:59 PM »

danktrees

• Elite Member

he literally just said he won't relist them until preorders have shipped by the end of the week

« Reply #207 on: January 29, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty

he literally just said he won't relist them until preorders have shipped by the end of the week
Like Don had stated many times before.............Its a shame this generation lost its ability to read   :(
- Adam

« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular

Like Don had stated many times before.............Its a shame this generation lost its ability to read   :(
Oh shit... I can read perfectly well! I'm just a lazy bastard I guess. Even now I am procrastinating doing my biology homework for tomorrow. :P
Love is magic

« Reply #209 on: January 29, 2013, 06:21:54 PM »

therealmackay

• True Member
Has anyone got a favourite one of the three colours?

« Reply #210 on: January 29, 2013, 06:37:04 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
Green, if they are like the SSS from DB they would be great...

btw, my order already shipped and is in transit   :bosswalk:

cant wait for the legends to arrive here!!
Form Follows Function

« Reply #211 on: January 29, 2013, 06:48:29 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
Mine have already shipped to !!! can't wait to get them .
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:49:03 PM by Frost »

« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2013, 03:06:17 AM »

therealmackay

• True Member
Exciting times - ive got a set of the three colours and three extra decks in Green!

Looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about!

« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2013, 09:52:32 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I too am very interested to get these in hand and see how they are. USPCC has done really great work for me, but having options is always better than not having them. If these decks handle, are registered and packaged like they say, it could be very interesting.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2013, 07:17:35 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I emailed CARC this morning. They got back to me same day. My order was shipping out today. Picked up a brick (4x 3 pack). This makes it my 3rd playing cards purchase released in 2013 (Virtuoso, D&D New Fan Backs & Legends). I'm trying to be more discreet this year with what I buy. I had to have them! Its only January!

Looking forward to finding out how these handle also. I hope the producers of playing cards do their homework before making manufacturing choices. I'm not just talking about using a deck of cards. I'm talking about actually visiting these manufacturers to see what they are doing and how they are doing it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:20:03 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I emailed CARC this morning. They got back to me same day. My order was shipping out today. Picked up a brick (4x 3 pack). This makes it my 3rd playing cards purchase released in 2013 (Virtuoso, D&D New Fan Backs & Legends). I'm trying to be more discreet this year with what I buy. I had to have them! Its only January!

Looking forward to finding out how these handle also. I hope the producers of playing cards are do their homework before making manufacturing choices. I'm not just talking about using a deck of cards. I'm talking about actually visiting these manufacturers to see what they are doing and how they are doing it.

I like the way CARC handles business. I've ordered from them three times so far and they've shipped it either the same day or the next day. They also don't over charge for shipping in anything and just overall makes the buying experience enjoyable.

If I am looking at a deck on their site listed at a certain price, I'm paying that amount and just a tad more for shipping. If I'm buying from, say, D&D or Ellusionist, I feel like I'm paying for usually two or three more decks (and this is on small purchases only) due to their outrageous shipping prices. D&D also takes a while to ship (maybe because I ordered during the holiday season.... But which the Legends release I assume CARC would be swamped as well).

Either way, I like ordering from CARC and hope thy keep hosting great products!

(Still can't help myself checking my mailbox immediately after the carrier leaves even though I know I won't get my decks until at least tomorrow or Friday) :D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:06:13 PM by Michael »
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Looking forward to finding out how these handle also. I hope the producers of playing cards are do their homework before making manufacturing choices. I'm not just talking about using a deck of cards. I'm talking about actually visiting these manufacturers to see what they are doing and how they are doing it.

When the manufacturer's on the other side of the world, that's not always practical...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2013, 01:12:27 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
I already got my order from CARC today still haven't opened them yet but going to more later so happy !!!

« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2013, 02:47:41 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
I emailed CARC today because I hadn't received any sort of email conformation from them, and they told me that they were having problems with their email system and that my order was already shipped. If anyone was still waiting on an email from them, that might be the reason.

They said it was shipped yesterday so I should have them by tomorrow I think. Maybe today, I haven't checked the mail yet. Either way, I'm pretty damn excited for these cards.

« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2013, 03:14:03 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
I just saw something cool in this deck without even opening it. In the back of the deck there is a card reveal its the 8 of diamonds . 

« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2013, 04:36:20 PM »

kings

• Newcomer
I just opened one of my red decks that I got today and the cards weren't in any order. Did anyone else have this. I haven't opened the other 2 colors yet.

« Reply #221 on: January 31, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
its possibly a stack. I would keep them in that order till you know for sure.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #222 on: January 31, 2013, 05:04:40 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Probably is a stack like all of DB's recent decks. But then again if you didn't recognize the stack immediately it's not useful to you. I learned Mneumonica before buying any of DB's decks just to make use of it. I'm personally not really a fan of them though so it doesn't matter to me.

But hey, if you bought the other colors too then you have anther chance at making the stack useful right out of the packaging! :D
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #223 on: January 31, 2013, 05:30:13 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
initial impressions of this deck:

- If I had to describe the feel of the deck in relation to a USPCC deck, I'd say aladdins with a magic finish I guess. The cards feel very smooth and slippery. The stock is thinner than most USPCC decks I've handled, and somewhat firm when trying to spring them. Though an individual card feels a bit more flimsy than a regular Bike card.

- The handling out of the box is fairly awful, but after about 25-30 minutes of breaking them in they start to handle pretty well. Fans are pretty standard, springs are pretty standard, the faroing ability is slightly worse than normal USPCC, and the finish on the cards is pretty prominent. Like the cards feel like there's still excess finish on them right out of the box. Not sure what's up with that. I tried doing some flourishes with them, but the slippery finish makes them less useful for that then other decks. Possibly once I break them in more they'll be a bit easier to do cuts with. Sleights are fairly standard with the deck

- I'm a fan of the design of the deck, the back design especially. Faces are fairly standard, except for the Stutzman standard of changing the court card faces. The AoS is a bit bland but still passable, but the jokers are pretty interesting and I actually like the design of them. The back design is packed with detail and I think it looks awesome. There's a ton going on design-wise, so I'm sure there's some sort of marking system hidden in there somewhere. Overall, I'd rate the design positively.

- I found a few of the "secrets" of the deck, and honestly I could take them or leave them. Some of it is clever, like the already mentioned 8 of Diamonds reveal on the back of the box, or the bolding of some pips to act as a kind of one-way back. Some of it is standard, like the joker reveal and the reveal on the bottom of the box. I'm sure there's more to be found in the deck. I certainly wouldn't recommend the deck based on these little secrets alone, but it's an interesting addition to the deck.

Overall, after about 45 minutes of handling I'd rate this deck as above average, right around the same rating I'd give most custom decks from USPCC. The handling is decent after some breaking in, the design is cool, and the "secrets" are a nice addition. I'd recommend picking up 1 or a 3-pack or whatever floats your boat.

Reading over this thread again, I can tell that guys like Zenneth and Don were way overhyping these for whatever reason (marketing purposes? who knows), so I don't think there will be any groundbreaking changes to the playing card industry. If the cost of making them actually is cheaper, which is somewhat unclear based on the prices they're currently going for, then I can see the manufacturer becoming an alternative to USPCC custom decks, which is nice side-effect of the deck. Overhyped? Probably, but still a good deck of cards.

« Reply #224 on: January 31, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »

Ben K

• True Member
The decks used in the CARC photos are the same as mine, so the photos appear to have been taken with prototypes before the standard decks arrived.

The way to tell the difference is the diamond pattern on the center of the back.  On the tuck box (and supposedly the stock models) it's an "LS" ambigram (for the magician making this deck, Lawrence Sullivan), while for the prototypes the back image was flipped and the ambigram is no longer readable as such - it just looks like a pretty pattern.

Don, for your prototype deck, was the l.s. reversed and unreadable on both the cards as well as the box?

I received my order from CARC today and opened up the green-teal deck. My deck is identical to the images that CARC has; the tuck box has a readable l.s. on the diamond and on the card backs it's been flipped and is not readable. Anyone else have this or do they differ and how?

I think they are amazing cards. Remind me of prime1's which are in my top 5. Not a big fan of the custom courts, but I'll get over it. I think it's worth getting at least a deck of these. They are built to last and the perform great for me.

Sr15, I didn't have to break mine in at all. Right out of the box they handled great; springs, faro's, fans, Le Paul spreads. I practiced some cardistry with them to and didn't have a problem. (Granted I am not a pro at any of it).  I wondering if its got to do with our climates. I am in Georgia and most cards tend to clump and stick within 5 minutes of opening them. Are you in a hot and dry climate?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:15:03 PM by Ben K »
“To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought.”
― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume